Islam discussion

Hi

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jones | 1 comments Hi. My name is Samantha. I was wondering if you all could help me out.

I've been trying recently to pick a religion. I haven't grown up with any religious influence, and know very little about any of them. So I was wondering if all of you could educate me a bit on Islam. From what I've heard about it, it sounds like a peaceful but misunderstood religion, and I just wanted to know a bit more about it to help me in my decision. If you don't want to, that's ok. I'll just find another Muslim group to help me out. But if you can, then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

message 2: by dj (new)

dj | 6 comments sure
dlaouisset@gmail.com

message 3: by Aliya (new)

Aliya (ayilamina222) | 43 comments if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. im sure that this group and i can help you :)

message 4: by AB (new)

AB | 13 comments Hey there, you can start getting information by asking questions :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

oh that's cool that you're trying to learn. i wish i'd found this site two years ago when i was learning about islam, my questions would probably be answered alot more quicker and clearer. feel free to email me, because while i may not know the answer to alot of stuff (i'm a fairly new convert myself), ive done alot of research about islam. or you can add me on here, or this group, either way.
hope your quest for faith goes well!

message 6: by Halik (last edited Feb 15, 2011 11:07PM) (new)

Halik (whacko) | 35 comments Hey, a great book to read would be Towards Understanding Islam: Updated for a Modern World

It gives a great understanding of the essence of Islam to the layperson and takes you through the many levels of belief through the conceptualization of God and then on to religion and tells you how and why you should decide on the truth. So at no point should you feel pressurized to believe something against your will.

One thing i have to tell you about Islam, it is not blind faith. For everything it asks you to believe in, it gives strong reasons and logic.

For instance when you consider the authenticity of the Quran as the Word of God, one of the main things that strengthened my belief personally is the many scientific signs in the Quran that speak of physics, geology, astronomy and biology in such ways that it is obvious no human mind could have conceived of these notions in the time of the Prophet, peace be upon him.

All the best with your search for the truth! may God guide you.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2011 05:51PM) (new)

i know, i took a class at a mosque one time, and it showed like all these patterns and amazing things in the Quran, and i was so blown away. i pretty much understand all the rules and stuff except for the ones about like wifes having to follow their husbands? im not a feminist or anything like that, i just dont understand why they can't hang out with people if their husband doesn't want them to, or they need to ask permission from their husband and stuff? i get the following your parents thing, but isn't obeying your spouse a little extreme? like, what if he's a total freak? im sure there's a good reason, once i get my 21th century views aside.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 18, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

oh, that makes sense then. a guy told me this, so yeah, it probably is cultural. that's stupid if its one-sided though.
thanks for the help

message 9: by [AlHambra] (new)

[AlHambra] (alhambra) | 1 comments hello all, I'm a new here.
pardon me, if my english is bad
In my country, Indonesia. We've a lot of podcast to download about Islam. One of them : kajian.net. There are a lot of topik about islam, about aqidah, fiqh, fatawa, family, story of islam and else. But I'm sorry, I still can't help you to find the english version .