Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
This topic is about Blood Promise
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Revamped Discussion: Mead, Richelle; Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4), Start Date:May 10th, 2014

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sashana This topic is open for discussion of Blood Promise by Richelle Mead. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

message 2: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments No discussion yet? I'm surprised. Well, here's my 2 cents:

This is definitely my least favorite book of the series so far, but its not terrible. I found that out of the 500 pages of book, there were only a handful that actually kept me wanting to read more. I felt that, for me, there was too much love story and wishing things were different and very little action. I've never been one to like the lovey dovey stuff. That being pushed aside, I have a few qualms with this story.

First off, I felt that the bond between Lissa and Rose was used poorly to tell the story of what was happening at the school. In the past I've liked this version of narration and thought it was innovative. However, in this story I didn't understand how Rose was seeing days worth of stuff through Lissa's eyes when she sat there for minutes or hours. Yes I understand she could be getting Lissa's memories or what not, but it still bothered me.

The other thing I dislike about this book is that it didn't seem to further the series as much as other books. It was the longest book in the series so far, but I feel it said the least. It was just a lot of Rose whining and not knowing what to do with her life or how to get over Dimitri. I guess I just felt that there wasn't too much of a climax to this book, or that it was lost. I feel the story didn't need the extra issues of Avery using Lissa as it simply took away from the climax of Rose "killing" Dimitri, which I feel would have made a better ending point to this book then the whole Avery thing. It just seemed jumbled, almost like the author just had to give Lissa a conflict as well instead of just letting Rose decide to go back home.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll be reading this one soon. I just finished #3. So upset about Dimitri. *sniff*

Alyssa (shyluck13) Jessica - I didn't like BP the first time I read it, either, but after rereading it I actually fell completely in love and now it's one of my favourite in the series. If you think nothing happens in BP, then just think about that while you're reading Spirit Bound. I thought it was the weakest in the series. (SB)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Uh, oh...I read this and forgot to post my thoughts.

This was a decent read (the inconsistancies didn't bother me much) though for a bit there I just wanted to smack the crap out of Rose. I love the thought of the healing ring making Dimitri seem like himself again. Oh, the possibilities! I didn't connect who Rose's father was until right before it was revealed. Good one put over on me! lol I'm looking forward to the next book.

Cherrylea | 8 comments Blood Promise wasn't my favorite - Dimitri's awesome but he's a Strigoi now and Rose and him just seem... wrong in this book.
Did anyone read the whole series? What team are you? Dimitri or Adrian? I'm torn - Dimitri's Dimitri but Adrian's so sweet...
Can't wait for Bloodlines - it's the spinoff series starring Sydney (yeah, we see her again a lot)!

Sashana Dimitri all the way. I like Adrian but the way Rose feels about Dimitri is so much deeper than what she feels for Adrian.

Cherrylea | 8 comments Oh don't get me wrong - I love Dimitri. He's perfect for her. It's just that Adrian deserves so much more than what he gets...

Sashana Cherrylea wrote: "Oh don't get me wrong - I love Dimitri. He's perfect for her. It's just that Adrian deserves so much more than what he gets..."

I think he'll definitely find someone in Bloodlines, Richelle Mead couldn't be cruel enough to just leave him hanging.

Cherrylea | 8 comments She better be good! And hey - what about Eddie and Mia? I've always wondered about those two.

Sashana It never crossed my mind to put those two together. Hmmm... The characters I'm most interested in hearing about are Sydney, Jill, Lisi, Christian, and Adrian. (view spoiler)

Cherrylea | 8 comments I really love Lissa - she's so... nice (especially when Rose isn't). But one of my friends brought up an interesting topic - she said that she thought Lissa was too needy and had way too much attention when Rose would need it more. That never occurred to me - does anybody else think like that?

Sashana I thought so for the first few books. I think she redeemed herself in the last few books but in the first four it was all about her (some people disagree with me on this). She didn't even suspect Rose had feelings for someone because she was so caught up in her life. And I hated the whole 'they come first,' thing.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I agree about Lissa being needy and I'll add self-centered. I don't feel she's that way on purpose, but more of how she was raised. She and Rose have been best friends since they were very young, but have only been bonded for a few years. I think the Moroi are just raised to think of themselves before all others, that they are superior and everyone else is secondary. That conditioning is hard for Lissa to overcome even though she loves Rose. It doesn't help that Rose keeps things from Lissa. Lissa can't look into Rose's mind and learn things about her the way Rose can about Lissa.

I look at it this way...they're both teens and will make many mistakes. They don't have much life experience yet (more than most, but not a lot) and have gained very little wisdom that comes with aging (at least, for most people - some people never learn).

I do expect them to grow and mature over the course of the books and one of my disappointments in this series is they seem to keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Cherrylea | 8 comments Sashana wrote: "I thought so for the first few books. I think she redeemed herself in the last few books but in the first four it was all about her (some people disagree with me on this). She didn't even suspect R..."

Oh yeah the "they come first" bugged me, too. Even in the end, Rose can't let go of that. But things were changing - letting Moroi fight is a step closer to losing that mindset for Dhampirs.

Sashana Well said, Carol. Especially the part about the Moroi. Did anyone ever notice how the words are written in the book? Moroi with a capital M and Dhampir with a lower case d. Carol, how far did you get in the series? I think that you'd maybe like one of Richelle's adult series better.

Cherrylea | 8 comments Carol wrote: "I agree about Lissa being needy and I'll add self-centered. I don't feel she's that way on purpose, but more of how she was raised. She and Rose have been best friends since they were very young, b..."

That makes sense. The bond probably gave Rose so much more insight on Lissa that it probably is unfair to compare, not to mention how they grew up. (view spoiler)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments This series is not a bad series. I have Spirit Bound from the library due back 3/10, but I was finishing up the office and trying to get caught up with BOMs and RIWM books. I'm behind!! Ahhhhhh!!!!! :D

Sashana You might want to request the Mercedes Thompson series. That's our next series read.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Including the latest one? I think River Marked is due out soon. I think I have it on pre-order but I usually pack my books up and away from the hubs dog because if I use the lower shelves on my bookcases he thinks he has to mark them as his. So how does this work if I want to join you in this series?

Sashana The moderators and I haven't decided on how long the series read will be but we would love to encompass the latest book into our reading. We'll be starting the series on March 1st and Lisarenee came up with the idea of making a folder specially for the series reads so keep an eye out for that. That is where the discussion will take place. The Vampire Academy series read took place in the Featured/Books of the Month folder. We will also be having book discussions so it should be interesting.

Awesome questions, Robin.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Okay then I will watch out for that announcement. I follow so many series books and most are in print format but I've heard that maybe by summer this year that ereaders will be going down in price so I am hoping to maybe get one in July.

Right now I am reading the latest in Pamela Palmer's feral Warriors series Hunger Untamed, just got that in the mail on Thursday last. Just love it when authors include humor besides the storyline and great sex scenes.

Sashana Robin wrote: "Okay then I will watch out for that announcement. I follow so many series books and most are in print format but I've heard that maybe by summer this year that ereaders will be going down in price..."

Never heard of that series. I'll definitely check it out.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) You definitely should,
Here is the order that you should read them but if you can't do so they can be stand alones but the different warriors are mentioned in each others book.

Desire Untamed
Obsession Untamed
Passion Untamed
Rapture Untamed
Hunger Untamed - just released

Sashana Thanks, Robin :). I'm going to add Desire Untamed to my tbr and it I like it I'll read the others.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Your Quite Welcome

message 27: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Apr 24, 2011 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I actually really liked this book. It's the only book in the series so far that I felt comfortable rating it 4 stars which had more to do with how I felt while reading this book, not the quality of writing or the storyline.

Like Jex, towards the second half of the book, I too felt that Rose was seeing days worth of events through Lissa's eyes in one sitting.

Alyssa, what changed your mind on your subsequent readings?

Carol, I too love the thought of the healing ring making Dimitri seem like himself again. I actually didn't connect the dots until Rose did. I was dumbfounded. lol. Loved Rose's reaction to learning who her father was although I was a bit disappointed that she wasn't an illegitimate offspring of a royal after all.

Cherrylea, like Sashana, I am cheering Rose and Dimitri's relationship. Sashana described it best: the way rose feels about Dimitri is much deeper than what she feels for Adrian. I really like Adrian and I wish he wasn't the other man in the love triangle (actually, I'd prefer no love triangles but guess we can't have everything we want). I agree with you. Adrian deserves so much more. I am really interested in seeing Adrian and Jill together although Jill has some growing up to do.

Speaking of Eddie and Mia, I liked seeing Mia again in the past couple of books. I loved witnessing the changed relationship between her and Lissa and Rose. I wonder why she left the Academy. I also wondered about the absence of Eddie in this book. I missed him. Eddie and Mia is an interesting relationship to consider. I wonder whether it could happen.

Sydney was okay but she wasn't very interesting to me.

Cherrylea, that's actually part of the reason I do not like Lissa's character. Lissa is needy and she did have way too much attention when Rose needed it more. Not only that, she didn't even consider what Rose might be going through with her past experiences with death and the loss of her mentor. Sashana's right, Lissa did get caught up in her life. I too hated the whole "They come first" thing. I agree with Carol that part of Lissa's self-centeredness was due to the culture and upbringing of their world. She didn't even consider what it'd be like for Rose to dedicate her life to keeping her safe. This was really brought home to me in this book when Lissa finally realizes what it meant for Rose's personal life to be her bodyguard.

Jex, I didn't think about how the Avery issues might affect the climax of Rose "killing" Dimitri but you are right. That might have made for an interesting ending to the book. Nonetheless, I liked how the book ended with Rose finding out that she messed up the kill. This creates more suspense and generates more interest in reading the following book(s) as a cliffhanger, and it also staves off the thousands of hate mail the author might have received from her heartbroken fangirls if she definitely had killed off Dimitri. rofl.

I'm impatient to read the next two books which look to be available in the library, but the earliest I can get there is Friday (which is too long!) unless I make a special effort to get there on Wednesday. We'll see. Although if the library system didn't do such a silly thing like not putting up the digital book copy on the eLibrary system of Book 5 but doing so for Books 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, I might already be reading Book 5 by now - maybe.

message 28: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 14, 2014 08:02AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31504 comments Mod

Book Synopsis
Rose Hathaway's life will never be the same.

The recent attack on St. Vladimir's Academy devastated the entire Moroi world. Many are dead. And, for the few victims carried off by Strigoi, their fates are even worse. A rare tattoo now adorns Rose's neck, a mark that says she's killed far too many Strigoi to count. But only one victim matters ... Dimitri Belikov. Rose must now choose one of two very different paths: honoring her life's vow to protect Lissa—her best friend and the last surviving Dragomir princess—or, dropping out of the Academy to strike out on her own and hunt down the man she loves. She'll have to go to the ends of the earth to find Dimitri and keep the promise he begged her to make. But the question is, when the time comes, will he want to be saved?

Now, with everything at stake—and worlds away from St. Vladimir's and her unguarded, vulnerable, and newly rebellious best friend—can Rose find the strength to destroy Dimitri? Or, will she sacrifice herself for a chance at eternal love?

This is a Revamped Discussion (pun intended), meaning we're going to pick up an older thread where we already discussed the book, and continue it, with a new look.

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31504 comments Mod
Revamped Discussion to start May 10th, 2014.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Well I just finished reading Shadow Kissed and I'm ready to start this one. (Albeit late...)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blood Promise (other topics)
Spirit Bound (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richelle Mead (other topics)