Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Vampire Academy (Book 1) by Richelle Mead

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana This topic is open for discussion of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments I just finished and I loved it. I have been looking at this book for awhile but was leary because of it being YA, but I have to say I loved it! I was drawn in right away and could not put it down. I love Lissa and Rose's friendship and can't wait to watch it develop more. I also hope that Dimitri and Rose's relationship builds more in the future books. I also hope the future books are as good or better. I can't wait to read the next one.

message 3: by Aleis (new)

Aleis (amaxim) I picked the first book in this series up at Target tonight. Will start it as soon as I finish the book I'm reading right now. It sounds like it's going to be a good read.

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) I have loved this series since it came out - the ending was phenomenal and was released in December - so I can't wait to hear what you guys think!

message 5: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 20 comments i am looking forward to reading this also

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Becky wrote: "I just finished and I loved it. I have been looking at this book for awhile but was leary because of it being YA, but I have to say I loved it! I was drawn in right away and could not put it down..."

Really? I hated Lissa and Rose's relationship in this book. Rose dedicates herself to Lissa 110% while Lissa was all about herself.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments I didn't feel Lissa was all about herself because Lissa got so upset and went for revenge on Mia after she spread the rumor about Rose. With Lissa getting involved with the royals and by using her powers she became worn out and didn't make great choices.
Also Lissa decided to save Rose and not her family after the accident which demonstrated to me that she wasn't all about herself. Granted we do see how Rose is 110% for Lissa, and Lissa was a jerk for a bit but I still think they have wonderful relationship

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans Crap. This book is in first person. I'll try to push through, but I might have to give it a pass. Note to self: Check narrative perspective before purchasing next time.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Just finished it. First person isn't my favorite to read, but being a YA book made it a fast and easy read. I enjoyed the characters, the story arc and the promise of further story. First time I've read Richelle Mead, so this book satisfies a slot for 2 of the Reading Challenges: New to Me Authors and New to Me Series. :) Now, on to Frostbite...

message 10: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Carol wrote: "Just finished it. First person isn't my favorite to read, but being a YA book made it a fast and easy read. I enjoyed the characters, the story arc and the promise of further story. First time I've..."

Carol, the great thing about this series is that it get better with every single book! If you like this one then you will definitely be in love by the third book. I can't wait to see what you think.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Just finished the book and loved it. Will need to read the posts and then comment.

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Is it your first time reading it, Lisarenee?

message 13: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 06, 2011 08:31PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, here are the quotes I singled out so I don't forget things later one:

--

"No matter what happened in our world, a few basic truths about vampires remain the same. Moroi wer alive; Strigoi were undead. Moroi were mortal; Strigoi were immortal. Moroi were born; Stigoi were made.

And there were two ways to make a Stigoi. Strigoi could forcibly turn humans, Dhampirs, or Moroi with a single bite. Moroi tempted by the promise of immorality could become Strigoi by choice if they purposely killed another person while feeding. Doing that was considered dark and twisted, the greatest of all sins, both against the Moroi way of life and nature itself. Moroi who chose this dark path lost their ability to connect with elemental magic and other powers of the world. That was why they could no longer go into the sun." page 58

--

"Dhampirs and Moroi had a strange arrangement. Dhampirs had originally been born from Moroi mixing with humans. Unfortunately, dhampirs couldn't reproduce with each other-or with humans. It was a weird genetic thing. Mules were the same way, I'd been told, though that wasn't a comparison I really liked hearing. Dhampirs and full Moroi could have children together, and, through another genetic oddity, their kids came out as standard dhampirs, with half human genes, half vampire genes." Page 79

"Vladimir had used compulsion on his followers. I was certain. A lotof Moroi had in those days before it was banned, but they didn't use it on Moroi or dhampirs. They couldn't. Only Lissa could.

I shut the book and leaned back against my bed. Vladimir healed plants and animals.He could use compulsion on a massive scale. And by all accounts, using those sorts of powers had made him crazy and depressed.

Added into it all , making it that much weirder was that everyone kept desceiving his guardian as "shadow-kissed." That expression had bugged me ever since I first heard it..." page 199

--
"Spirit. It's what you specialized in."

"I haven't specialized in anything! You're crazy."

"Where else do you think these powers of your have come from? Spirit is another element, one few people have any more."

"No one knows about spirit anymore. It's been forgotten. When people do specialize in it, nobody realizes it. They think the person simply hasn't specialized at all." Pages 295-296.

--

"Spirit, as you've seen, can heal physical injuries. Unfortunately, it's only good on acute injuries. Onetime things. Rose's ankle. The accident wounds. For something chronic-say, a genetic disease like Sandovsky's-continual healings are required. Otherwise it will keep coming back." Page 296

"Spirit can shape someone into a leader and also crush her ability to remain one. The fear, depression, and uncertainty take over, and keep her true strength buried deep with her." Page 316-317

Definition of Shadow-Kissed:

"You've been kissed by shadows. You've crossed into Death, into the other side, and returned. Do you thing something like that doesn't leave a mark on the soul? You have a greater sense of life and the world- far greater than even I have-even if you don't realize it. You should have stayed dead. Vasilisa brushed Death to bring you back and bound you to her forever. You were actually in its embrace, and some part of you will always remember that, always fight to cling to life and experience all it has. That's why you're so reckless in the things you do. You don;t hold bake your feelings, your passion, your anger. It make you remarkable. It makes you dangerous." Page 317

"...you however, have a mind sensitive to extrasensory forces-hers in particular." Page 317

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thoughts about Lissa?
I liked her. I didn't feel she was being selfish. I think she was trying to take care of Rose for once and attempting to ease into the "role" she felt her parents would have wanted her to play.

Thoughts about Rose?
I liked her a lot too. She seemed a loyal friend to Lissa. She was linked to Lissa and if that made her want to protect Lissa, well, who could blame her? If she was linked to Lissa when Lissa died I wonder how it would affect her? She felt the pain of the razor blades and the assault by Victor's body guards. Makes you wonder.... Could this be the answer that could take down the barriers between Rose and Dimitri?

What did you think of the relationship between Dimitri and Rose?
I'm noticing a trend with older guys and younger girls in YA fiction lately. What are your thoughts?

How old is Rose and Lissa? I think they said they were in their senior year? That would make them 17 or 18, right?

Evilest villain in this one in my opinion?
Having a hard time choosing between Mia and Victor.

Thoughts about Dimitri?
Definitely sounded like a great guy. I liked how he tried to keep his emotions in check for Rose.

Thoughts of Christian?
I liked him. He was a fun character. Thought he and Lissa were good together and didn't know why Rose didn't like him so much in the beginning.

Anyone wonder about the line, "...you however, have a mind sensitive to extrasensory forces-hers in particular."?
It makes me wonder if she can tune into the thoughts of others.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments My thoughts: Rose and Lissa are typical 17-yr-old kids. They're centered on self, have a narrow view of life (only where it touches them) and have a hard time looking ahead. They're emotional and have trouble controlling those emotions, Rose in particular (the whole Christian thing was pure jealousy). This doesn't make them bad characters. In fact, it makes them believable. *mother of 6 here, experience talking*

As a 42-yr-old who was already a wife and mom with heavy responsibilities when I was 17, I have a hard time being patient with characters like this, but I also realize that we need to watch them grow as the series progresses. At least, I hope to see growth.

Sashana, this series looks promising, so I should enjoy it. BTW, I got sidetracked and haven't pulled out my beads yet. I should have time this weekend though. :)

message 16: by Sans (new)

Sans Lisarenee wrote: "I'm noticing a trend with older guys and younger girls in YA fiction lately. What are your thoughts? "

I love it. If the girls are under 19, they should be over the age of consent and the guy shouldn't be more than a decade older, I don't have any problems. If the girls are 20+, I don't care what the age difference is. I've always been attracted to older men (my last boyfriend was almost 8 years older than me) so it makes it easier for me to connect with the female characters.

I also have a weakness for student/teacher relationships. I know there's a squick factor for a lot of people there, but I love those kind of stories.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I read Dimitri is 7 years older than Rose. I have to admit I never had a crush on any of my teachers. None of the guys were that cute if I remember correctly.

message 18: by Sans (new)

Sans My English teacher in 8th grade was sex on legs. He used to call me Queen of the Amazons (I was at least a head taller than everyone else from 2nd-8th grades). His name was Mr. Bell. None of the teachers in high school were hot, but I had a crushes on my college math and physics professors.

message 19: by Galla (last edited Jan 07, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Galla | 110 comments Yeah, she was 17, and he was 24.

Sans, I tended to go for older guys when I was dating, too. When I was around Rose's age, I dated someone who was 23, so not much difference, and I considered that a non-factor at the time. Thankfully, he was not my teacher. My high school was blissfully free of hot young combat instructors; I had the middle-aged weightlifting instructor who was built like a tank and not even slightly tempting. ;)

My comfort with age-difference brackets is probably pretty similar to yours.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments My boyfriend is 31 and I am 23. We have been friends since I was 17, but a couple since I was 18. I see nothing wrong with age differences. In fact, I thing it has helped our relationship. Our age difference balances us out.

message 21: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I definitely didn't notice the age difference in this book. Maybe it's because I like Dimitri so much...

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I was surprised to learn he was 24. From the descriptions of him I expected him to be in his 30s. I have no problem with big age gaps. Whatever floats your boat, but 7 yrs isn't that big of an age gap. There's more of a gap in experience than age for Dimitri and Rose, but it's not insurmountable.

message 23: by Sans (new)

Sans Galla, speaking of hot young combat instructors, have you read Red Handed? If I'd had a teacher like Ryan, I'd have loved gym class a lot more.

Age has never been an issue for me. I think as long as both individuals (or more if you're in that kind of relationship) are happy it shouldn't matter what their ages are.

message 24: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Sans wrote: "Galla, speaking of hot young combat instructors, have you read Red Handed? If I'd had a teacher like Ryan, I'd have loved gym class a lot more.

Age has never been an issue for me. I ..."

I haven't, but I'll add it to the TBR list!

message 25: by Aleis (new)

Aleis (amaxim) Finished the first book and really enjoyed it as an introduction to the characters and their world. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I'm just waiting for the next book to become available in ebook format from my local library.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 112 comments this was a quick read. not really sure how i felt about it. not a whole lot happens until the end. i guess it's a good starter book for a series. it introduces us to the characters. rose seems like a normal teenager caught in a love(crush) triangle. lissa seems way to out of it for me. i know it's a YA, but the story line seems kind of flat to me. but since i bought the next one, i will read it before giving up on the series.

message 27: by Rachel (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:01PM) (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I was not too impressed by Vampire Academy. :( I had high hopes!

Lissa definitely needs some major psychiatric help and they both need to quit keeping everything to themselves! If more would have known about Lissa's healing ability maybe she wouldn't have landed in the situation she is in now. Rose seems completely dedicated to Lissa and to keeping her secrets, but I was glad she reached out to Dimitri for help.

I didn't like the way it took around 50-60 pages to finally describe what all the terms were, like dhampirs, moroi, stigoi, etc. I do like to know some of that information early on.

I also felt that the chapters were repetitive. Teenage drama, Rose being catapulted into Lissa’s head, Lissa finding another dead animal, Lissa wanting to cut, and then the next chapter begins with the same thing! I haven’t given up on the series, but the next one will definitely make it or break it. Here’s to hoping it makes it!

message 28: by Sashana (new)

Sashana That sucks, Stephanie and Rachel. I know it sounds ridiculous but I was hoping everyone would love this book. Rachel, are you planning to read the second book or are you done with the series?

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Everyone liking a book would be next to impossible. You almost made it though!

I will read the second one. All series deserve a second chance!

message 30: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rachel wrote: "Everyone liking a book would be next to impossible. You almost made it though!

I will read the second one. All series deserve a second chance!"

Rachel wrote: "Everyone liking a book would be next to impossible. You almost made it though!

I will read the second one. All series deserve a second chance!"

If you don't like the second one much then I don't think you'll like the series. Maybe one of the things that made you dislike it was all the hype. I'm not saying that it's the only reason but it may be one of them.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Could be. There is something that bugged me about it, but I can't put my finger on it...

message 32: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 157 comments I have finished the VAmpire Academy 2 days ago, actually I was hesistant to start the series since the beginning. I read too many similar kind of books in 2010 and decided to stop but then there were a lot of very good reviews and comments about it, and then a group read here I thought I might give it a chance. I don't regret it however I must say i am not amazed either. I liked the book and it was a quite good and easy read. Entering a new world with the new terms, moroi, dhampirs etc the book in general felt like VA101 :)
I liked the lead character Rose, I also like the attraction between her and Dimitri although it was pretty obvious from their first meeting.
Basically, I didn't find it any different or significantly better than the similar series but that doesn't mean it's not good or I didn't enjoy it :)
I will read the following book and probably the whole series cos when I start a series no matter how I dislike it I usually continue to read because I can't stop wondering if it gets any better...

message 33: by Sashana (last edited Jan 25, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Sashana I think it gets better as you read on, Nida. Hopefully it won't seem too blah as you continue reading.

message 34: by Mel (new)

Mel (meltangerine) | 7 comments Hello everyone, I'm late to read this book too but I just finished last night and posted my review this morning. I won't post it all here but basically, my main points were:

+ was interesting to slowly unravel the reason why Rose and Lissa left in the first place and there were certain twists and turns in the story that kept it from becoming yet another YA vampire novel.

+ St. Vladimir's Academy is just another high-school. There's cliques, bitches, backstabbing and the like.

+ While I get that Rose is very protective of her and wants to keep her safe, I can't help but feel that their relationship mirrors an abusive one. Rose just seems to be telling Lissa what to do and how to do it and who to hang out with and who she shouldn't. While Lissa doesn't always listen to Rose, it was still a little uneasy for my liking. However, stifling relationship aside, one can really sense the strong bond the two girls have for each other, judging from the numerous times each girl tries to save the others.

+ I will most probably continue because of ONE character, Dimitri Belikov. :D

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Hmmm. Interesting thoughts on Rose and Lissa's relationship. Now I wonder if Rose backed off a little bit if Lissa would improve (not be depressed so much or want to cut).

message 36: by Mel (new)

Mel (meltangerine) | 7 comments Well, I can't be too sure since I haven't read the second book yet but I'm thinking that if Rose wasn't so controlling, maybe Lissa wouldn't be so pressurized and depressed to cut herself..

message 37: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Jan 27, 2011 06:10AM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments That's interesting because I didn't see Rose as a controlling friend. I saw Rose as the wild, loyal, sane one and Lissa as the wimpy, whiny, slightly unbalanced one.

message 38: by Mel (new)

Mel (meltangerine) | 7 comments She was definitely wild and loyal, but I felt that her 'controlling' aspect really came out when she kept warning Lissa to stay away from Christian. I understand that no one really knows about him and hence, no one can vouch on whether he was a 'good' person or not, but the way she kept repeating to Lissa not to hang out with him was rather unsettling for me..

Carol wrote: "That's interesting because I didn't see Rose as a controlling friend. I saw Rose as the wild, loyal, sane one and Lissa as the wimpy, whiny, slightly unbalanced one."

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Melissa wrote: "She was definitely wild and loyal, but I felt that her 'controlling' aspect really came out when she kept warning Lissa to stay away from Christian. I understand that no one really knows about him ..."

I took that mostly as just her being jealous though she was also trying to get Lissa to be cautious about him. She didn't like Lissa's attention shifting from her after having it all to herself for so many years.

message 40: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) | 157 comments I totally agree with you Carol, although it felt annoying for her to insist Lissa to stop seeing Christian, I felt she was asking it out of jealousy not for controlling Lissa's life and relations. As you have said they were very close for all their lives and for the last 2 years they only got each other.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Reeves (barefootdokusha) | 0 comments I enjoyed the book. I like it being in first person. I like the terms and the living/undead vampires. I am excited to start book 2. I am almost finished with book 3 (I'm on a waiting list for #2).

message 42: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) I finished this book today after having it for ages and not picking it up. I really enjoyed it, interesting vampire concept in this book. I like Rose and Christian but found Lissa a bit annoying at times, hoping she grows on me in the next book.

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I think there are at least 3 series out that refer to Dhampirs.

message 44: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen Chance has a series with a Dhampir, but I can't remember the other. I just remember thinking at the time, "Wow, that's the third I've hear of." I'm sure it'll come to me. I think it was something I read pretty recently.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I think Kathy Love's New Orleans series has Dhampirs. Or was it Lampirs? Now, I can't remember. lol

message 46: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Apr 08, 2011 11:50PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Sashana wrote: "Becky wrote: "I just finished and I loved it. I have been looking at this book for awhile but was leary because of it being YA, but I have to say I loved it! I was drawn in right away and could n..."

I didn't much care for their relationship either.

While I kind of liked Rose's character (except for her whole "got to protect Lissa mentality), I didn't like Lissa. She was too meh. Rose was more amusing and fun to read about. I liked Rose and Dimitri. I also liked that dhampir who has a crush on Rose. He seemed so sweet but I could tell that it was not gonna happen. *sigh*

Thanks to Lisarenee's quotes:

The arrangement between the dhampirs and Moroi didn't make too much sense to me at first. It didn't seem as if the Moroi really needed the dhampirs. The way it was explained (Moroi as weak, magic users and dhampir as stronger, more brawny warrior types) kind of made me think of MMORPG games I used to play, which made the whole concept seem a bit silly. I think my opinion changed later in the book but at the moment, I don't remember what brought about the change (if it happened at all).

I liked how the author had outlined the world with the Moroi and Strigoi. I thought that that was pretty interesting.

@Carol: I too thought Dimitri was older than his stated age. I was surprised by how young he really was. I also share your view regarding Rose & Lissa's relationship.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vampire Academy (other topics)
Red Handed (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richelle Mead (other topics)