Science and Inquiry discussion

Science in the News > White House Science Guidelines

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Snyder (laurajsnyder) | 7 comments The White House finally issued guidelines meant to insulate the findings of government scientific agencies from political bias, and to base policy decisions on "solid data." Many scientists complain that the guidelines are too vague to be useful. I also worry that they are based on the overly-simplistic idea that science can be completely "value-free," and that the concept of "solid data" is unproblematic. What do others think?

Read NYTimes article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/18/sci...

message 2: by Alex (last edited Dec 21, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Alex Ergh. Nice try? But I agree with you; it isn't really feasible to separate politics from science. Wasn't in the 1600s when Galileo started wondering if Copernicus didn't have a point, and it isn't now.

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 88 comments After the interference of the Bush administration with scientific reports, we certainly needed some kind of guidelines.

I found it interesting how mainstream media is so desperate to appear fair-minded that they feel the need to include the "other side" no matter how far off the deep end it is. Thus we get this quote from Representative Paul Broun, Republican of Georgia: “In fact, what I see from this administration, seems to me they’re holding on to the idea that the world is flat.” Pretty ridiculous comment.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Yeah Jimmy, that's one of the most embarrassing things about the media to me. Presenting both sides of an argument is one thing - but when one side is demonstrably lying, shouldn't journalists point that out?

The Daily Show (educated America's most trusted news source, improbably) has, of course, been making this point for years.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Van Slyke (steve_van_slyke) | 379 comments It is unlikely that politics can ever be totally removed from science. However, it is somewhat encouraging when the powers that be at least try to move things toward that end of the spectrum.