BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Welcome Center > WELCOME NEW BOOK-A-HOLICS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
WELCOME TO ALL NEW MEMBERS OF THE USE BOOK STORE GROUP

message 2: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Welcome again to all new Book-Aholic members, I hope that we can keep this group flowing and be real active. I would like to know the genre consensus of this group right now. Are we more into fiction or non-fiction?
Any Aspiring authors in here?
Please start topics, whatever is on your mind...

message 3: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE BOOK TO READ. CHECK OUT THE CHOOSE YOUR POISON LISTING.

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Carolyn (carolynhowardjohnson) | 1 comments Glad to be here. Thank you for inviting me. My own newly released book, The Frugal Editor, was just given USA Book News Best Book Award in its category--business/writing/publising. I Don't know of any Book-Aholics here are writers, but i you are, this one is perfect for you.
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
www.howtodoitfrugally.com

message 5: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

85 members in this room and everyone is as quiet as a church mouse.
Welcome new folks speak your mind and start new topics.
Shyness is not very admirable trait.
BE LOUD!

message 6: by Jeannie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Jeannie | 13 comments Wes,
LOL..........I have an online book group called "BookBabblers" we have over ninty members, sometimes days will go by without anyone posting. I am the moderator and I feel I need to keep things going. Sometimes this proves to be very tricky !

Thanks for the invite to the group. I will TRY to keep things moving....

Wes....is that your full name ? (may I ask) My middle child is named Wesley and we call him Wes (or Butch, as he is a junior) Anyway, I like the name !

With that, I am off to my place upnorth till Tuesday next. Sorry, but I promise promise promise to check in when I get back to catch up and become LOUD !

Thanks again for the invite, looks like fun !

Jeannie

message 7: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Wesley Ryan Price owner and founder of Price Right Books in Concord, NC.
lol
Wesley has the meaning "MAN FROM THE WEST"
I guess if I go to europe, asia, or Africa this quote will apply.
wes

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

WOW BOOK-AHOLICS JUST TURNED 100.
100 MEMBERS
Congrats everyone who helped we passed the first milestone.
Lets keep it alive.
Thanks
Wes

message 9: by LJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

LJ (LJRoberts) Thanks for inviting me to join. Hi, my name is LJ and I am a bookaholic. I collect HC modern 1st edition signed mysteries and have ~5,000 books. My monthly book bill is embarrassing, but that doesn't seem to stop me. I am not a writer, except of reviews for the books I read.

Glad you invited me.
LJ

message 10: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

THE 100 MEMBERS WAS A HUGE MILESTONE AND NOW WITHIN 13 HOURS WE HAVE 50 MORE NEW MEMBERS.

150 Fantastic new Book-Aholics to share thoughts.

Congrats to everyone again.

Thanks,
Wes

message 11: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Meghan Great to be here Wes! Thanks for starting the group.

Just a thought, I've found in the Rory Gilmore book club, sometimes you just have to keep posting thoughts/questions before you find the right one that really sparks a good debate. It also takes a while for the members to get to know each other and feel comfortable saying things in front of each other. But have heart! The RGBC is going on its second month and now people post things all the time (every day). We've had some fabulous debates as well as just some fun chatter. I think this one will be the same!

message 12: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

http://www.amazon.com/shops/pricerigh...
If you wanna buy some of my books...

message 13: by Shari (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Shari | 9 comments We are over 160 and last night we only had 100. This is awesome gang :)

message 14: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

AMAZING

message 15: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Wow Wes, how in the world did your group grow sooo fast???? Thats Amazing!!!

message 16: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

I hereby certify that Lisa is the 100th member of BOOK-A-HOLICS.
Your diamond studded medal is in the mail.

message 17: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

I have no problem with topics being in all CAPS that is what I choose for my group.

message 18: by Shari (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Shari | 9 comments Oh no Wes is a really bad aholic.... book, caps, and I wonder what else? ;)

message 19: by Shari (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Shari | 9 comments I think that someone should take this wonderful story written in short story topic and make a book. I feel that we could win a prize :)

message 20: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

I'll never tell.. ;)

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Thanks for the invite. I am pretty new to this site and enjoy it very much. Great to be a part of this group. I read all sorts of things to be honest.

message 22: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

if we can write multiple good short stories going then then I would front a little dough toward publishing

message 23: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanks to all the new members and older members for making this group grow. You guys make me think we have started a good thing. (a single tear travels down cheak)
To all the Book-A-Holics out there be safe and have a great holiday.

message 24: by Jeannie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Jeannie | 13 comments Thanks Wes ! You have a great Thanksgiving yourself !

Book-A-Holics is on my list of things to be greatful for. :>))

message 25: by Roos (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Roos | 16 comments Hai Wes,

It's great to be here, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

message 26: by Wes, Moderator (new)

MERRY CHRISTMAS,

My happy friends on good reads I want to wish you all a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. I hope you all get stuffed full of food and get wonderful books for Christmas. Please be safe and careful when traveling.

God bless,

Wes

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo | 3 comments Merry Christmas :)

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Did everyone enjoy thier holiday?? lots of books and gift cards for books??????

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

I got 3 of the books on my "to-read" list. The Kite Runner, Marley Me, and Double Cross. Cant wait to read them..... except they will have to wait until I read the ones I got from the library first!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope all of the group had a wonderful Christmas and are now recovering from the carbohydrate load.
Back to The Book Thief for this months selection.

message 31: by Jodie (last edited Jan 01, 2008 10:39AM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 7 comments Hey hey~ Just stopping in for a quick Happy New Year salute! I got lots of books from my wonderful family but I'm trying to finish up a pile I have sitting around first. Too many books, too little time.

My main interest is fiction but I'm slowing getting into the non-fiction stuff too.

message 32: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Greetings and Salutations,
To all new members of the Book-A-Holics group.
I am happy that we have already conquered 300 members and counting. Congrats to all those who have helped keep this group active.
2008 is going to be a fantastic year for this group and I hope that everyone will become great friends and can share wonderful thoughts and ideas.
Blessings to all,
Wes

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am very new to this group. Is there a list we are to choose from for the book to read? If not, then I would highly recommend The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer. I have not come to its end, but boy am I enjoying this read!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, everyone.

My name's Matthew, and I'm new to the site and this group. I was born and raised in Norfolk, VA but recently moved to Concord, NC for a job opportunity. I've been a pretty big reader since high school, but I discovered some of my favorite authors in college. They are the following:

Tom Clancy
John Le Carre
Patrick O'Brian
Bernard Cornwell
Ian Rankin
C. S. Forester
Ernest Hemingway
George Orwell
Joseph Conrad

I'm a newly minted CPA and work as an internal auditor for a NASCAR-related company. I'm looking forward to getting to know this area a lot better and hopefully make some really good bookloving friends. Oh yeah, and I need to visit Wes's shop.

message 35: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Thanks for the plug Matthew
Now come shop..

message 36: by Amanda A (last edited Jan 11, 2008 06:26AM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) Congratulations on becoming a CPA, Matthew! I just passed the CPA exam as well and am waiting on the SC board to approve my license application. Welcome to the group!

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Congrats and welcome, Matthew!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda-thanks! Do you work for a firm or in industry? I will have a VA license once approved and I complete the ethics exam.

message 39: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2008 02:24PM) (new)

Welcome new Book-A-Holics and thanks for making this group grow to an amazing 413 members since it was created at the begining of last Fall 07.
This has become a great active group full of wonderful people and minds and I see this group being a great hub for new ideas.

Thanks for being Book-A-Holics,

Wes

message 40: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Wow... One of my friends told me about this site and I just joined and read the progress that this group has made. I couldn't believe how the number of members just continued to boom. That's incredible. You must be doing something right Wes. I'm definitely going to enjoy this!!!

message 41: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2008 01:21PM) (new)

That was sweet. Thanks for joining Marlene and I hope to see your comments in the future.

message 42: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Another great ground breaking moment when we crossed the 500 hundred memeber mark this week. Congrats group and keep your comments flowing.
Thanks for making the Book-A-Holics the entity that it is today.
Wes

message 43: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (Eliza_Morgan) Hi everyone! My name is Eliza, and I'm new to the group. In the spirit of contribution, I'll leave you with a list of books that changed my life:

1. Passage- Connie Willis
2. The Rapture of Canaan- Sheri Reynolds
3. The Doomsday Book- Connie Willis
4. The Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver
5. Middlesex- Jeffrey Eugenides (I'm not even done with it yet, but it's a life-changer!!)

I'd love to see other people's life changing lists!!

message 44: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Good idea. The sad thing is I have a much easier time coming up with five life-changing movies than books. It makes me want to read more biographies. Until that happens:

1. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
2. Night - Elie Wiesel
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
4. I'll second The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver (I once heard a woman say that after reading that book she realized that all people in all cultures love their children the same. It's stuck with me ever since.)
5. Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

message 45: by Wes, Moderator (new)

How did this subject get started in here?

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments I say we blame Eliza. (How do you show that you are trying to be funny without making the stupid :) symbol? My writing can't quite pull off humor.)

It was a good subject so I had to jump on it. I'll start a new topic and repost there.

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 7 comments HEY!! I'm new! :)

My name is Carrie. I am a teacher. I love to read! :)
I have a dog.
I love to drink wine. :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm new-gathering many more to read books than i'll ever be able to get through (or buy)
i like a lot of different kinds of books
i have been known to read pop novels but more into classics and anything that teaches me something
also like travel adventure books but they've got to really take me there
i just found the armchair sailors group and love the fact that this is indeed just like a good bookstore-i can browse and find food
i used to skip church when i was 10 to 13 or so and go into the only store in town that was open
the local bookstore
they let me sit in the aisles and read-you too-thanks-keep it coming

message 49: by EJ (new)

EJ | 4 comments I have been guilty of being one of the silent ones..sorry wes=)
after years of finding what I want to do with my life I am now in school to be an English teacher...i love writing and ofcourse reading. I love all the diverse tastes in this group. For the most part I stick to literary fiction but I love humor, dare i say it chick lit and memoirs

message 50: by EJ (new)

EJ | 4 comments Maureen
if you are into travel read Tales of a Female Nomad...its great!

« previous 1