75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Completed) > Dawn Michelle's reading "Radcliffe's Rival 100 Best Novel List" in 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments I decided to read this list (Radcliffe's Rival 100 Best Novel List) this year. I have *read* 13 of them already in the past. Do not know if I will re-read them or if I will just plug on without re-reading. Its a daunting list, so I may just add the ones I have already read as *read*. Don't know if I will get through the list, but I am going to REALLY try!!!

message 2: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
Dawn Michell, that looks like an amazing list. I have saved it and I might get a few in as well!

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Excellent Andrea!!! I always love when people read what I am reading so I can talk about the book with them!!! :-)
Merry Christmas!!!

message 4: by Merri (new)

Merri I printed the list- I have read 10 I have a couple in the house- let us know what you are reading!

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments I am starting at the beginning (which is fitting I think). So, starting with "The Great Gatsby". WHICH has been on my TBR list for about 4 years now. Ever since I read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and the women in that book read it and discussed it. It had never really been on my radar before!!! :-)

message 6: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1596 comments I've "read" 9 of these... but most of those (including The Great Gatsby) were mandatory high school reads that I don't really remember. Several of these are on my TBR as well.

message 7: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments I was lazy and chose (what my HS termed as) middle English. Instead of High (college prep) English. So I never had to read Gatsby. I had to read Macbeth and Chaucer, but not Gatsby or Catcher in the Rye etc.

message 8: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

The Great Gasby is on my top 10 for life and I read it maybe 20 years ago. I just loved that book!! Maybe I will read it with you :) I know we were talking about group reads, do we want to try a pilot and see if other people want to read it as a group? Nothing Fancy, just a thread for discussion and people will post comments marked with spoiler and include the page number. Let me know....

message 9: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Ooooo Andrea!! I would love it if you *read* it with me!!! I think trying it out as a group thing would be awesome. Let me know if you set it up...I am on board!

message 10: by Merri (new)

Merri I read Gatsby and Cather in the Rye a couple of years ago- enjoyed them I was shocked jane Erye was not on the list- it is one of my all time favorites

message 11: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) I want to read with you too. I printed the list as well. Loved it. I have read about thirty of the 100. Gatsby is one of my all time favorites. I'd read it again in a second!

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Looks like we have a group coming together!

message 13: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Woohooo

message 14: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Oh how I love you guys!!! You never fail to make me smile!! I love love love that you are going to read with me this year!!! My cup overfloweth!!

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hahahah, glad we could make you smile and thank YOU for pushing me to read this again. I'm interested to see how my perspective has changed in the last 20+ years!...lol

message 16: by Merri (new)

Merri OK my dtr just told me we have Great Gatsby in the house- so i guess we are starting this in Jan???

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Merri, I think that we could do that. To make it fair we should have a poll where people can nominate books and then we can all vote. With such little time to do this for the Jan book I think it would be okay to pick one and then announce that people can begin nominating for next month. Is a month enough time for people to read a book?

message 18: by Merri (new)

Merri I think it depends on the book- Gatsby is not a long book so 1 month should be OK

message 19: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2011 09:27PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Ok. So, I have been attempting to read the list. Its NOT going well. Enough so, that I have decided to ONLY read what I want from the list and the rest can just "bugger off". LIFE is way to short to read crappy books (my apologies to ANYONE who thought "Catcher in the Rye" was amazing. I did not!). That said, I have been doing a TON of reading. No reviews right now, but I may go back and add them later. Just not enough time to write what I think.

1. The Great Gatsby ~F.Scott Fitzgerald
Read~January 5, 2011
3 Stars

2. In the Company of Others (A Father Tim Novel) ~Jan Karon
Read~January 8, 2011
5 Stars

3. Holiday Grind (The Coffeehouse Mysteries #8) ~Cleo Coyle
Read~January 12, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

4. Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swenson #2) ~Joanne Fluke
Read~January 14, 2011
3 Stars

5. Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swenson #3) ~Joanne Fluke
Read~January 16, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

6. The Chocolate Snowman Murders (Chocoholics #8) ~JoAnna Carl
Read~January 17, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

7. The Catcher in the Rye ~J.D. Salinger
Read~January 18, 2011
1 Star

8. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake ~Aimee Bender
Read~January 19, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: I need to write something about this book. It was a really great read. REALLY sad (which seems to be a theme amongst my books), but also VERY strange. Some of it you will have a tough time wrapping your head around. But, in the end, it was really good.

9. The False Friend ~Myla Goldberg
Read~January 22, 2011
3 Stars

10. An Amish Christmas ~Cynthia Keller
Read~January 22, 2011
4 Stars

11. Brought Together by Baby (Love Inspired #312) ~Carolyne Aarsen
Read~January 23, 2011
3 Stars

12. Ape House ~Sara Gruen
Read~January 26, 2011
1 Star
A note about this book: This was a HUGE disappointment for me. I had such HUGE expectations. "Water for Elephants" was SO good. And she spent so much time researching this story AND the premise is amazing. But, for me, it was PURE TORTURE to read this book. And the end...well, lets just say I was REALLY not happy.

message 20: by Caiti (new)

Caiti (magnadea) Dawn Michelle - excellent idea to read only the books you want to read from the list. I just looked it over, got to "Satanic Verses" and thought what crap! I tried reading that book years ago and I couldn't make it more than a few pages it was so boring. As for Catchy in the Rye, AMEN SISTER! I hated that book. What are people thinking when the rhapsodize over it? LOL

message 21: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!
Magnadea, YOU so MADE MY DAY!!! Thank you!!!!

message 22: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Woweeeeeie girlfriend!! What a great month for you!

I also read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake ~Aimee Bender and I loved it but it was WEIRD! I don't really "get" what happened to the brother....

message 23: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments He was so sad and so turned off by the world and what it had to offer (OR not offer him if you will) that he "learned" how to turn himself into a chair. Great premise eh?

I am trying to get #13 done tonight. I LOVE having free time to read!!!

message 24: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Me too! It will be hard to go back to scool now that I know how nice it is to do normal things like read a lot and watch TV....hahaha

message 25: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

PS. Stil not getting the chair thing...lol

message 26: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Ok, I didn't really get it either. But he was sad and lonely and the world was too much for him and that was his way out. It was just SO weird!! :-)

message 27: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

A friend at work read it and for days after she kept saying to me " I don't get it, a chair really?" Hahahah I said " I told you it's a great book, just WEIRD."

message 28: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2011 09:25PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments 13. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce #2) ~Alan Bradley
Read~February 1, 2011
4 Stars

14. Scout, Atticus and Boo: A Celebration of 50 years of To Kill a Mockingbird ~Mary McDonagh Murphy
Read~February 2, 2011
3 1/2 Stars
Non-fiction

15. The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic's Mystery #9) ~JoAnna Carl
Read~February 3, 2011
3 Stars

16. To Kill a Mockingbird ~Harper Lee
Re-read~February 7, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: THIS is STILL a fabulous book. Still one of the best I have ever read. Such a great story.

17. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks ~Rebecca Skloot
Read~February 8, 2011
5 Stars
Non-fiction
A note about this book: I read this in ONE day. It is mesmerizing. A lot went over my head (science and math NOT being one of my forte's), but it was FREAKING amazing. This is a MUST-READ and I highly recommend it!!

18. Knit the Season (A Friday Night Knitting Club Book) ~Kate Jacobs
Read~February 9, 2011
2 1/2 Stars
Note about this book: I REALLY hope she doesn't write anymore about these people. I don't want to have to read another one. Almost torture!

19. Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship ~Gail Caldwell
Read~February 12, 2011
5 Stars
Non-fiction
Note about this book: THIS is a great book about love and friendship and just life in general. Sad, but fabulous. HIGHLY recommended!

20. Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage ~Elizabeth Gilbert
Read~February 15, 2011
5 Stars
Non-fiction
Note about this book: I LOVED "Eat, Pray, Love". I admit it. I was also anxious to read this. Until my marriage fell apart. Still, I read this. It gives me hope. NOT that I want to get married again. I am not even divorced yet (WOW, that really pains me to say that). But if SHE can recover and re-marry, even initially for the reasons she had to, I believe that there is a chance I will love again. REALLY great read!!

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives ~Lola Shoneyin
A note about this book: Life is WAY to short to read crappy books like this. I apologize to ANYONE who read this and loved it, but I could barely finish the first chapter much less the WHOLE book. UGH UGH UGH!!

21. Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat and Obsession ~Julie Powell
February 16, 2011
1 Star
Non-fiction
A NOTE about this book: WHAT a bunch of crap and claptrap!! I kept reading, waiting for something to engage me like "Julie and Julia" did. IT NEVER HAPPENED. What a complete waste of time!! The 'Julie' from "Julie and Julia" could NOT be found here--she was whiny, obnoxious and I didn't like her much, ok AT ALL by the end. WAY too much language as well. I mean, WHO talks like that??? UGH!!

22. Snow Day ~Billy Coffey
Read~February 18, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: TOTALLY inspiring and thought-provoking. Such an uplift compared to the last two! Ahhhhhhh

23. The Diva Cooks a Goose (Domestic Diva #4) ~Krista Davis
Read~February 20, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

message 29: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Wow!!!

message 30: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments
Thank you (I think). ;-)

message 31: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I can't get over how much everyone is reading! We are not even 2 months into this year and many members are nearing 20-25%

message 32: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2011 09:21PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments 24. The Healing Place (Love Inspired #426) ~Leigh Bale
Read~February 22, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

25. Loving Promises (Love Inspired #291) ~Gail Gaymer Martin
Read~February 23, 2011
3 Stars

26. More Than a Cowboy (Love Inspired #474) ~Susan Hornick
Read~February 27, 2011
3 Stars

27. Love at Last (Love Inspired #190) ~Irene Brand
Read~March 5, 2011
3 Stars

28. Alice I Have Been ~Melanie Benjamin
Read~March 11, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: VERY strange, but well-written book about the "real" Alice in Wonderland". This IS a work of fiction, but she used all of info about the "real" Alice that she could. Good read (even with all the weird parts). Sad at times too.

29. Second Chances (Seven Sisters #1) ~Debra White Smith
Read~March 11. 2011
3 Stars

30. The Awakening (Seven Sisters #2) ~Debra White Smith
Read~March 14, 2011
3 Stars

31. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand ~Helen Simonson
Read~March 15, 2011
3 1/2 Stars
A note about this book: NOT as good as I thought it was going to be, but still a pretty good read. The end was really nice.

Morning Has Broken: A Couple's Journey Through Depression ~Emme and Philip Aronson
March 16, 2011
A note about this book: As you can see, there is NO number beside this. That is because I didn't finish it. But I did want it listed here. This is a WELL-WRITTEN book, but for me, at this time, it was like reading my own life right now and it was just SO VERY difficult that I had to stop reading. I did read the end and it was encouraging to see where they ended up, but the journey to how they got there was just WAY to much for me.

32. Sadie's Hero (Love Inspired #191) ~Margaret Daley
Read~March 19, 2011
4 Stars

33. This Child of Mine (Love Inspired #59) ~Lois Richer
Read~March 21, 2011
4 Stars

message 33: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Too bad your slacking with your reading Dawn Michelle...hahaha!!! Just kidding, wow!

message 34: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments I feel really bad this year for not being more involved on here. I LOVE this site, but my life has gotten totally out of control and as I try to pick up the pieces, I find I have very little to give to everyone and everything else. I sure hope I am forgiven. I am still reading (obviously), but other than that, I am just dry. I sure hope next year is better for me. I do miss this.....

message 35: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2011 09:20PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments 34. A Husband for All Seasons (Love Inspired #382) ~Irene Brand
Read~March 22, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

35. Summer's Promise (Love Inspired #148) ~Irene Brand
Read~March 23, 2011
3 Stars

36. To Heal a Heart (Love Inspired #285) ~Arlene James
Read~March 26, 2011
4 Stars

37. A Shelter in the Storm (Seven Sisters #3) ~Debra White Smith
Read~March 27, 2011
3 Stars

38. My Life in France ~Julia Child (NF)
Read~March 28, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was so neat to read about she and Paul and their extraordinary love affair/marriage. Really good read!!!

39. Homecoming at Hickory Ridge (Love Inspired #453) ~Dana Corbit
Read~March 29, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

40. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Book 1) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~March 31, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

41. Miss Julia Takes Over (Book 2) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~April 4, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

42. What the Heart Knows (Love Inspired #236) ~Margaret Daley
Read~April 4, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

43. To Rome with Love (Seven Sisters #4) ~Debra White Smith
Read~April 6, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

44. For Your Heart Only (Seven Sisters #5) ~Debra White Smith
Read~April 7, 2011
4 Stars

45. Promise Me ~Richard Paul Evans
Read~April 7, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: I LOVE his stories. VERY heart-warming and thought-provoking. WHAT would YOU do if you were in this same situation? A great reminder to LIVE each day! Fabulous!

46. A Love So Strong (Love Inspired #363) ~Arlene James
Read~April 8, 2011
3 Stars

47. No Place Like Home (Love Inspired #365) ~Debra Clopton
Read~April 9, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

48. Missionary Daddy (Love Inspired #408) ~Linda Goodnight
Read~April 11, 2011
3 Stars

49. Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swenson #4) ~Joanna Fluke
Read~April 17, 2011
4 Stars

50. Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swenson #5) ~Joanna Fluke
Read~April 20, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Someone got a lot of reading done!!!

message 37: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "I feel really bad this year for not being more involved on here. I LOVE this site, but my life has gotten totally out of control and as I try to pick up the pieces, I find I have very little to giv..."

Sometimes you just have to contract your focus to the necessities... nothing to feel bad about there! Everything else can wait it's turn ;)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Dawn Michelle wrote: "I feel really bad this year for not being more involved on here. I LOVE this site, but my life has gotten totally out of control and as I try to pick up the pieces, I find I have very little to giv..."

Don't feel bad, it doesn't help (and I am expert at that particularly fruitless activity) Sometimes you just need to sit back and enjoy what others are posting on here. That is what I like about this group,no pressure, enjoy what you are reading and share when you feel like it or have time.

message 39: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Thank you Stacie and Don!! I tend to 'dwell" too much. Comes from having a mind that refuses to shut down at ANY time! LOL! I love this group too, for those exact reasons!! HUGS!

message 40: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jun 03, 2011 03:54PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments 51. Aunt Dimity Down Under ~Nancy Atherton
Read~April 23, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: I loved this book. There have been a few in this series that have just touched me so completely and so deeply that you feel like you are forever changed by it. THIS was one of those books. Lori is so selfless in this book and the story is so sweet and loving and sad that it can't help but reach out and touch you. A must read!!

52. A Long Way Home by Ishmael Beah (NF)
Read~April 30, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: A very good autobiography. VERY sad. But an overall good read. It ends rather abruptly, which was the only thing that really bothered me. I would have loved to have learned more.

53. A Family for Luke (Love Inspired #476) ~Carolyne Aarsen
Read~May 2, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

54. Murder on the Menu (Cooking Class Mystery #2) ~Miranda Bliss
Read~May 9, 2011
4 Stars

55. It's All About Him ~Denise Jackson (NF)
Read~May 21, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: This was an amazing read. As the wife of country superstar Alan Jackson, you would think that Denise would have very little to want for or to worry about. Yet her marriage almost failed. Until she completely turned herself AND her marriage over to God and what HE wanted for her life. She is very honest and open and though it was a really HARD read for me, it was also amazing and I admire her so very much. A MUST-READ!!!

56. Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia #3) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~May 24, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

57.The MacGregor's: Mac and Cybil ~Nora Roberts
Re-Read~May 16, 2011
5 Stars

58. The MacGregor Grooms ~Nora Roberts
Re-Read~May 17, 2011
4 Stars

59. Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, MD #7) ~Gilbert Morris and Lynn Morris
Re-Read~May 27, 2011
5 Stars

NO NUMBER-As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto ~Joan Reardon, Editor
Read~(sort of)May 31, 2011 [Didn't finish]
NO STARS
A note about this book: This book was awful. So very dry and boring. GREAT concept, terrible in execution. The letters, while great to both Julia and Avis, do NOT translate well to the written page and leaves the reader just bogged down in blah. I could NOT finish it. SO disappointed!

message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "34. A Husband for All Seasons (Love Inspired #382) ~Irene Brand
Read~March 22, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

35. Summer's Promise (Love Inspired #148) ~Irene Brand
Read~March 23, 2011
3 Stars

36. To Heal a ..."

I read my first Hannah Swensen mystery, by Jaonna Fluke this past winter, and loved it!! I definitely wanna get more!!

message 42: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments I am 5 in. Got the next 4 bought/borrowed. Am trying to get through some Miss Julia books and then I will get back into the Hannah Swenson. I read her and the books by Leann Sweeney (She has 4 cats...maybe its 3..I don't remember) and JoAnna Carl who write the Chocoholic mysteries. I have found I need to read something different in-between because all three are VERY similar in location, have animals, works with food etc. The crimes and story aren't the same, but the minor details are. And frankly, I get REALLY confused!! LOL. Hope you enjoy the ones coming up!!!

message 43: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am 5 in. Got the next 4 bought/borrowed. Am trying to get through some Miss Julia books and then I will get back into the Hannah Swenson. I read her and the books by Leann Sweeney (She has 4 cats..."

I love Miss Julia!! I spent some time with her last year!! I think I read 4 or 5 of them! Tell her hi for me! LOL

message 44: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments 60. Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia #4) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~June 6, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: These are REALLY a bunch of fun stories. You end up just laughing hysterically over the antics of the people in this town. I really recommend this series!!!

61. This Time Around (Seven Sisters #6) ~Debra White Smith
Read~June 9, 2011
3 1/2 Stars

62. Let's Begin Again (Seven Sisters #7) ~Debra White Smith
Read~June 11, 2011
4 Stars

A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness---And A Trove of Letters, Revealed The Hidden History of the Great Depression (NF) ~Ted Gup
Read~June 24, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: This was a marvelous(but VERY sad, even in its hope filled pages, there is much sadness. This really brought the depression and what these people went through home for me) story. Mr. Gup is an exquisite storyteller and being that this story is about his family males it even more poignant. He never shies away from any negative that he found about them as he researched this story.I cannot imagine that this was always as easy book for him to write!!!

What a wonderful gift his grandfather gave him (the author and his family) AND the beloved people of his hometown. And amazing story of loss, renewal, love, and a generosity that went beyond what most people expected. This IS a must read!!!!

64. His Hometown Girl (McKaslin Series #1) ~Jillian Hart
Read~June 15, 2011
4 Stars

message 45: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Only 11 to go !!!

message 46: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments :-)
I think when I hit 75, I will go back to the Radcliffe Rival list and read some from there. I am not going to do them in order like planned. Just the ones I think I would enjoy reading. :-)
Any decisions about school?

message 47: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Thanks for asking, I have until Monday night to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm weighing all my options and trying to figure out the best thing to do. I'll keep you posted though!

I agree with you about the Radcliffe Rival list, it's hard to force yourself to read something if you're not really into it.

message 48: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jul 16, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments Only one left to go for 75!!! I believe I am going to read Harry Potter since I know that I am at 75 (most years I don't even realize and then I read something that is crappy and horrible!!!)!! Here is where I am now....

65. Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia #5) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~June 27, 2011
4 Stars

66. Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia #6) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~June 28, 2011
5 Stars
A note about this book: This one, for me, was the best one (so far) of the series. I really enjoyed it and read it really quickly.

67. The Lake of Dreams ~Kim Edwards
Read~June 30, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: I was SO surprised at how much I liked this book. It was WAY better than "The Memory-Keeper's Daughter. WAY better. I liked how this flowed and was pretty believable. Good read!

68. Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia #7) ~Ann B. Ross
July 5, 2011
4 stars

69. Any Man of Mine (Love Inspired #355) ~Carolyne Aarsen
Read~July 5, 2011
3 Stars
A note about this book: I was really disappointed in this book. I usually LOVE this author and this book felt contrived and forced.

70. Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia #8) ~Ann B. Ross
Read~July 6, 2011
4 Stars

71. Traveling with Pomegranets: A Mother-Daughter Story ~Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor NF
Read~July 12, 2011
3 1/2 Stars
A note about this book: THIS book was REALLY hard to read. There was A LOT of stuff in there that I felt could have been edited out. It was mostly enjoyable, but really dragged at times and I could feel myself losing interest and wanting to skip to the end. Glad I read it, but am also glad I got it from the library and that I did NOT buy it!

72. The MacGregor Brides ~Nora Roberts
Re-Read~July 11, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: I read this for a break from the above book.

73. Home to Harmony (Harmony #1) ~Philip Gulley
Read~July 13, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: A lovely little book that was a really easy read. Looks like its going to a nice little series. Thankfully, I can get this one at the library!!!!

74. Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found ~Jennifer Lauck NF
Read~July 16, 2011
4 Stars
A note about this book: WHAT a sad story. I am going to the library tomorrow to get the sequel to this because I HAVE to know what happened to her afterwards. Devastating to read about what people will do to their children. Heartbreaking, yet full of honestly and clear prose. The author is a really good writer!

message 49: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1596 comments Congrats on being so close! I also like the idea of making your 75th book a significant one. Last year I don't think I paid any special attention and it ended up being something mediocre.

message 50: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2934 comments That is exactly what happened to me Charleen. TWO years in a row. I decided this year to TRY and pay attention so I could read something I LOVE at 75! YAY!!!

« previous 1