You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > February nomination - real life people in a fictional novel **NOW CLOSED**

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I thought this sounded like a great theme!

Time to nominate books for February. The theme I have chosen is real life people/person in a fictional novel. Feel free to suggest themes for future selections in the ongoing Theme thread here in the Nominations folder. I will pick from them each month and surprise you with my choice.

Please provide all of the following in a comment below:

-The title
-The author
-Brief description of the book

IF YOU DON'T PROVIDE ALL OF THE ABOVE YOUR NOMINATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED

**If you nominate a book it is assumed that you are willing to lead the discussion, which is easy and painless - we promise!**

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have seven days to nominate. Nominations will be accepted through midnight GMT, Tuesday 28th of December.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51423 comments I nominate Nefertiti by Michelle Moran.

I have not read the book myself. It is in the genre I like (historical fiction) and about a time period I am interested in (ancient Egypt). I downloaded a sample onto my iPad last night and read the prologue and it seems to hold up to the reviews I've read online.

From Publishers Weekly
This fictionalized life of the notorious queen is told from the point of view of her younger sister, Mutnodjmet. In 1351 B.C., Prince Amunhotep secretly kills his older brother and becomes next in line to Egypt's throne: he's 17, and the 15-year-old Nefertiti soon becomes his chief wife. He already has a wife, but Kiya's blood is not as royal, nor is she as bewitching as Nefertiti. As Mutnodjmet, two years younger than her sister, looks on (and falls in love), Amunhotep and the equally ambitious Nefertiti worship a different main god, displace the priests who control Egypt's wealth and begin building a city that boasts the royal likenesses chiseled in stone. Things get tense when Kiya has sons and the popular Nefertiti has only daughters, and they come to a boil when the army is used to build temples to the pharaoh and his queen instead of protecting Egypt's borders. Though sometimes big events are telegraphed, Moran, who lives in California and is making her U.S. debut, gets the details just right, and there are still plenty of surprises in an epic that brings an ancient world to life. (July)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

message 3: by Donna (last edited Dec 29, 2010 02:34PM) (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 116 comments I'll nominate The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt

A wondrous imagining of an unlikely friendship between the eccentric inventor Nikola Tesla and a young chambermaid in the Hotel New Yorker, where Tesla lives out his last days. From the moment she first catches sight of the Hotel New Yorker’s most famous resident on New Year’s Day 1943, Louisa -- obsessed with radio dramas and the secret lives of the guests -- is determined to befriend this strange man. As Louisa discovers their shared affinity for pigeons, she also begins to piece together Tesla’s extraordinary story of life as an immigrant, a genius, and a halfhearted capitalist. Meanwhile, Louisa—faced with her father’s imminent departure in a time machine to reunite with his late wife, and pleasantly unsettled by the arrival in her life of a mysterious mechanic (perhaps from the future) named Arthur -- begins to suspect that she has understood something about the relationship of love and invention that Tesla, for all his brilliance, never did.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone,
I like to nominate "Dancer" by Colum McCann.

From Colum McCann's homepage:

Taking his inspiration from biographical facts, novelist Colum McCann tells the erotically charged story of the Russian dancer Rudolf Nureyev through the cast of those who knew him: there is Anna Vasileva, Rudi's first ballet teacher, who rescues her protégé from the stunted life of his provincial town; Yulia, whose sexual and artistic ambitions are thwarted by her Soviet-sanctioned marriage; and Victor, the Venezuelan street hustler, who reveals the lurid underside of the gay celebrity set. Spanning four decades and many worlds, from the horrors of the Second World War to the wild abandon of New York in the eighties, Dancer is peopled by a large cast of characters, obscure and famous: doormen and shoemakers, nurses and translators, Margot Fonteyn, Eric Bruhn and John Lennon. And at the heart of the spectacle stands the artist himself, willful, lustful, and driven by a never-to-be-met need for perfection.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I'd like to nominate THE GOOD EARTH by Pearl S. Buck. It is about a landowner in China durring revlution, pestilance and famine.

message 6: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Ooh, good one, Beverly. I bought it a little while ago after rave reviews and comments here and elsewhere, but have yet to read it. The only downside of your nomination is that I can't think of anything better to suggest, so I won't nominate this time. ;-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.