75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Completed) > Joy's 75 books for 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 282 (282 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Not sure I will reach this goal this year, but I am sure gonna give it my best shot!!

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments I've lost my reading mojo!!! Oh no! Mojo! Where'd you go?!?!?!? LOL I started A Thousand Splendid Suns, I read a page or two and set it down, pick it up the next day, same thing....I just can't seem to settle...grrr....if you happen to see my reading mojo will you send it home? I miss it!! =/

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobaugust) | 199 comments I very nearly lost my reading mojo last month, so I just slowed down. Wasn't going to hit 75 anyway, so with 2 weeks left in 2010 I cleared my to-read list and re-read something from the year before. Try delving into an old favorite (favorite book, favorite writer, whatever works) and see if that recharges your mojo.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Jacob wrote: "I very nearly lost my reading mojo last month, so I just slowed down. Wasn't going to hit 75 anyway, so with 2 weeks left in 2010 I cleared my to-read list and re-read something from the year befo..."

Thank you Jacob!!! That is a great idea!!!

message 5: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Jacob's got a great idea... when I get listless about reading it often helps me to curl up with an old favorite... I've got a few books that are like best friends- they never fail me :) It could also be that it just isn't time to read ATSS yet (it may sound crazy, but I've found that books have their own say in what gets read and when).

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Stacie wrote: "Jacob's got a great idea... when I get listless about reading it often helps me to curl up with an old favorite... I've got a few books that are like best friends- they never fail me :) It could a..."

That makes sence, but it was weird because right after I posted that about my missing mojo, I sat and read a good 100 pages, and am now past page 200!!! I think my mojo heard me and came home!! LOL...I think some of it has to do also with the fact that my baby is due in two months so I am having a hard time getting comfortable to read....so...=/ At least I seem to be doing ok now with the reading! I know what you mean about books choosing the time you should read them! =)

message 7: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
You woke up your mojo Joy..hahaha

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Boy did I!!! Last night I couldn't put ATSS down!!! Didn't get to sleep until after 1 am, then had horrible/scary dreams about trying to help Afghanian women!!! ::shakes head::

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #1-A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This is an amazing book!!! I have no idea why I let it sit on my TBR shelf for so long!!! It is one I will probably re-read some day.
Rating:5/5
Pages:415
Page tot. for the year: 415

message 10: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Joy wrote: "#1-A Thousand Splendid Suns

This is an amazing book!!! I have no idea why I let it sit on my TBR shelf for so long!!! It is one I will ..."

How's the pregnancy or let me ask the baby?

I have this book in my TBR shelf for almost 4-5 months, I got it right after I read The Kite Runner which I thought was amazing, I started to read this one right away and actually I read about 10-20 pages or so and stuck there. I started to read something else and every now and then I look at this book in my ereader and pass to another one even though I really want to read it. Now that I've seen this review I am all thinking about it again. I think I will give it another try in February as I alread spared quite more books than I probably can read in January.

message 11: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Joy wrote: "#1-A Thousand Splendid Suns

This is an amazing book!!! I have no idea why I let it sit on my TBR shelf for so long!!! It is on..."

I highly recommend it!! Also thank you for asking after my pregnancy, baby hasn't arrived yet...2 more months still! ugh! I have books like that in my TBR shelf that when I start them, I just set them down and keep reaching for something else. I'm sorta doing that with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, just can't get into it, so keep grabbing for something else! Oops...lol
Enjoy your reading!!

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Joy, TGWTDT can be a little hard to start because of all the people, Swedish slang and the politcs that we don't understand in the US. BUT...once you get into it look out!

message 13: by Tuğçe (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:57PM) (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Yep thats (tgwtdt) also a book I promised myself to read before the end of march but we will see. Everyone around me read it and recommended it, also said the first 5o pages (in turkish version) is pretty hard to pass.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments I've just been introduced to Salander, and it is starting to pick up now!! =)

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

She is an amazing character!

message 16: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "She is an amazing character!"

I love how the author describes her, I wanna be all kick-ass like that too!!! LOL

message 17: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Now I am all curious and I have a huge list to read this month, that's definitely not fair!

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Joy - you've made me want to pick up TGWTDT agian. I started this early last year and it chased my reading mojo away! I finally picked up something else and found it again. I haven't made it the the part with the lead character yet, which proved confusing when I was reading all the articles wondering who was going to be cast as the character in the movie. LOL. I kept wondering what on earth they were talking about.

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Oh Christy, you'll just love it!!!

message 20: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Now I am all curious and I have a huge list to read this month, that's definitely not fair!"

Aw, you have all year maybe it can be somewhere in there with your 75!! =)There always next month! =)

message 21: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Christy wrote: "Joy - you've made me want to pick up TGWTDT agian. I started this early last year and it chased my reading mojo away! I finally picked up something else and found it again. I haven't made it the..."

It took me a bit to get into it, but it was worth it to slog through the first 50 or so pages, to get to the good stuff....if college taught me one thing is was how to skim and pick out the good stuff!! =)

message 22: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #2- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

Rating: 5/5
Pages: 644
Yearly page total: 1059

message 23: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

AND...she liked it!!!

message 24: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 287 comments I need to give TGWTDT another shot. I listened to the audio book, and I think that format just didn't work for me for this book. It's the kind of book I would expect to like, and everyone else loves it, so I think I will pick up the eBook some time soon.

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "AND...she liked it!!!"

I DID!!! It was really good, can't wait to get to the next one in the trilogy!

message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Mollie wrote: "I need to give TGWTDT another shot. I listened to the audio book, and I think that format just didn't work for me for this book. It's the kind of book I would expect to like, and everyone else love..."

I wasn't sure what to expect, what with all the mixed reviews, but I had to give it a try, and loved it, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea....

message 27: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I agree Joy, some people may find the getting into it stage just not worth reading. I got the third book for my birthday but I'm putting it off knowing it is the last one :(

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #3 Restless Hearts
Restless Hearts (Love Inspired) by Marta Perry

Rating: 4/5
Pages: 295
Yearly page total:1354

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #4 Thirteen Moons
Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Rating: 3/5
Pages: 498
Yearly page total:1852

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Joy, I've had Thirteen Moons to read for ages, based on your rating I guess I can leave it on the bottom of the pile for a while longer...hahah

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "Joy, I've had Thirteen Moons to read for ages, based on your rating I guess I can leave it on the bottom of the pile for a while longer...hahah"

Yeah I wasn't too impressed which surprised me as "Cold Mountain" by this author got such rave reviews back when it came out, which I've not read yet, then I started looking at reviews here and realized that I wasn't alone in my assessment...I guess poor Ole' Charlie is a one hit wonder! lol

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Too funny, I have both here to read. Maybe I will try Cold Mountain first!

message 33: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Andrea wrote: "Too funny, I have both here to read. Maybe I will try Cold Mountain first!"

I definitely would go with Cold Mountain first. Even though I was not impressed with Thirteen Moons, I am tempted to read Cold Mountain to see what the hype was all about! =) I'd probably have to get it from the library, and I am trying to read only off my TBR shelf this year, so maybe next year! =)

message 34: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #5-Blue Skies
Blue Skies (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan #4) by Catherine Anderson

Rating: 5/5
Pages:406
Yearly page total:2258

message 35: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #6-The Virgin Suicides
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Pages: 241
Yearly total:2499

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #7-Club Dead
Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris

Rating:4/5
Pages:292
Yearly total:2791

message 37: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Club Dead was the one that definitely hooked me to the series, after this one I read whatever book Charlaine wrote in the series whether I loved or find just ok and will continue to read, I guess.

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Club Dead was the one that definitely hooked me to the series, after this one I read whatever book Charlaine wrote in the series whether I loved or find just ok and will continue to read, I guess."

This is a very fun series! I know she has some others out too, and will one day probably get to them, but right now I have SO many books i need to read that I'm trying to avoid getting into any new series, to keep my spending down...lol...

message 39: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments #8- Dead to the World
Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris

Pages: 291
Yearly page total: 3082

message 40: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Dead to the world is my favorite of the Sookie Series. I love vulnerable, naked Erik.

message 41: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I totally agree... After this one I was definitely a Team Eric person :)

message 42: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Joy wrote: "Tugce Nida wrote: "Club Dead was the one that definitely hooked me to the series, after this one I read whatever book Charlaine wrote in the series whether I loved or find just ok and will continue..."

I've read all of Ms. Harris' series and here's how I'd order them:
1. the Sookie Stackhouse series (dead until dark)
2. the Harper Connelly series (grave sight)
3. the Lily Bard series (Shakespeare's Landlord)- I didn't like this series until book 3
4. The Aurora Teagarden series (real murders)- I'm really not a fan. The heroine annoys me

message 43: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I haven't read the other series just have real murders in my TBR wanting to start for awhile but never put my hands on it, don't really know why...

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Amy wrote: "Dead to the world is my favorite of the Sookie Series. I love vulnerable, naked Erik."

So far I think this one is my favorite too!! =)

message 45: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Amy wrote: "Joy wrote: "Tugce Nida wrote: "Club Dead was the one that definitely hooked me to the series, after this one I read whatever book Charlaine wrote in the series whether I loved or find just ok and w..."

I've not read any of her other series, just tryin' to get through this one yet! lol...But i think she's a very intertaining author, and may one day (when my TBR shelf has shrunk in size!) get into some of her other stuff!!

message 46: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Not sure if I should announce it here, but this IS my thread, so I guess I can write whatever I want, right? LOL....I had my baby girl on Thursday morning at 6:01, she weighed 6 lbs,12 oz, and was 19 inches long!!! I am soooo glad she is finally here! Although my reading has been suffering....it's hard to read when you are soooo tired....it will get better though I'm sure!! I'm going to try to catch up with some of your feeds here soon! I miss you all!!
Happy reading!!

message 47: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Wow! Congrats. What's her name?

message 48: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) HEEYYY!! Congratulations!!!

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Congratulations, she's precious!

message 50: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I'm going to answer for Joy, her little girl's name is Alyssa. I was going and forth about making an announcement here but I wanted to give Joy some privacy and also the honor of making the announcement herself.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6