All Things Jim Butcher discussion

Side Jobs (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 23 comments Mod
Side Jobs Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

I listened to this on Audiobook a few weeks ago (James Marsters is awesome). It was nice to have all the Dresden short stories in one spot. There were several I had never read, and of course a couple that had never been published.

"Aftermath" which was a story from Murphy's perspective and takes place after Changes. After reading it I'm beginning to think that Murphy may actually take up Fidelacchius. Since her police work doesn't seem to be fulfilling, and the fact she believes she has just lost Harry, it's the perfect time.

What do you think?

Any of the other stories catch your attention?

Annabelle Miller | 5 comments The other stories were great but I could not listen to the last one. It felt too much like reliving a bad experience. so I had to stop listen to the cd. None the less it was a great reading. James Marsters is an excellent narrator. I am definitely going to have to buy the next book and hear what will happen next. It's not closure but it is as close to closure as I am going to get.

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Haney (haneyg) | 40 comments Mod
Agreed on all counts. Aftermath was interesting, but sad. Over the course of the last dozen books I've grown to actually like the characters more than is normal, so when Murphy or Dresden struggle part of me is empathetic.

As for Murphy taking up Fidelacchius, that is a given. Once she first weilded it during the fight against the Denarians that was too perfect. However, wasn't there a subplot in there that the weilders of the holy swords had to be descended from royalty? Michael is descended from Charlemagne, Sanya is a tribal prince from his homeland, and Shiro was an actual king. Doesn't this mean that Murphy must be royalty as well?

Also, yes James Marsters is amazing. Been a fan of his since Buffy. :)

Annabelle Miller | 5 comments Yes it does. But from what royalty does she come from. She is obviously Italian...I think. big Italian family. So I am thinking Roman. Perhaps a Caesar. Maybe a Roman emperor. I am only drawing straws. I am sure we will find out. I have not read a series like this and it's hard to find something like it. Dresden Files is a one of a kind.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 23 comments Mod
I had forgotten about the royalty angle. With a last name like Murphy I would take stab that maybe she is descendant of Robert the Bruce or some other Scot king.

message 6: by Dana (last edited Feb 12, 2011 05:20PM) (new)

Dana (erato) | 68 comments Actually, Murphy is an Irish surname. Which fits stereotypes with her having an enormous family in Chicago where everone serve the police force. :)

The meaning of the name is connected to warriors as well so that fits. Perhaps the royalty might be more Never Never based. By that I mean connected to the fey. In that case Murphy's ancestors could be of the Fir Bolg High Kings, or the Tuatha De Danann High Kings, or even (more realistically based you might say) the Milesian High Kings. It will be interesting to find out. I'm thinking Jim will give us a bit more of Murphy's background than that of Shiro.

Of course, Harry has theoretically been offered Shiro's sword correct? He chose not to accept because of his religion or lack thereof but it was still offered if I recall. If so, Harry is a decendant of royalty as well. Which lineage do you think Harry would be a decendant of? Uther Pendragon is a so obvious that it screams at you (Merlin, ), but you never know with Jim. :)