Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money discussion

Discussions > Wrapping Things Up...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erik (new)

Erik Marcus (erikmarcus) | 58 comments Mod
We had about 300 posts, and I think the quality of the discussion here was consistently impressive. I'm honored by those of you who took the time to read _Meat Market_ and to participate in this forum. And I'm especially grateful to Ginny Messina, Paul Shapiro, and Joe Espinosa to spending time here and contributing their expertise to the discussions. I hope that your time deepened your understanding of the book, and how its message can be applied to the dismantlement of factory farming.

I'd love for you to post your thoughts in this thread about whether this book club was worthwhile for you. While I'm mostly happy with the participation we saw here, I think it's probably somewhat easier to host a discussion of a fiction book, since interpretations of character, plot, and motivations lend themselves to discussion in a way that an activist-oriented nonfiction book probably can't.

In any case, hosting this book club was a valuable and fun experience for me. I'd like to host another activist-oriented club in the future, but it will probably be on a venue with a richer set of discussion tools than that offered by GoodReads. If anyone has thoughts about how an ideal activist discussion would work, either in structure or in the web tools used to facilitate it, I'd love for you to post something in this thread.

If you'd like to be contacted should I decide to launch another event like this in the future, please join my Vegan.com special announcements email list. I typically send out perhaps a half dozen updates a year, so you can sign up knowing you'll only hear from me on the rare occasions when I've got something cool to tell you about. Here's the signup page:

http://www.vegan.com/contact/announce...

One parting thought: virtually nobody just drifts into becoming a serious animal advocate. It's usually a matter of progressively stepping up your commitment. While this can happen at any time, the end of the year is often a natural time to make new and deeper commitments. If you so desire, you can decide to make 2011 your best year of animal advocacy yet. And if you accompany that decision with the commitment to do some of the activities described in _Meat Market_ and in this book club, I think you'll be amazed by what you will accomplish.

Everyone reading this forum has what it takes to be an animal millionaire; someone who keeps a million farmed animals from slaughter. I hope your time here has increased your confidence in your abilities and enlarged your desire to make a big commitment to animal protection.

-Erik

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Erik, thank you for hosting this discussion. It has been very informative and motivating for a new vegan such as myself. I have not yet finished your book but reading all of the posts here has inspired me to do some leafletting at McMaster University and a few other local colleges when the weather warms up a little. I am nervous but will enlist help somehow.

And thank you to everyone who contributed to the discussions here. Hearing about the wonderful work you all do has been illuminating and heart warming.

message 3: by Zsuzsanna (new)

Zsuzsanna | 10 comments Erik, Paul, Joe and Ginny, I truly appreciate your time and thoughts on this discussion board. It has been very inspiring and has accomplished what I had hoped it would: giving direction and fueling the fire.

With much warm regards to you four and everyone on this forum,
Zsuzsanna

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Erik, for hosting this forum, and to all who contributed. It was a valuable and worthwhile experience for me, and I am glad I participated.

message 5: by Peacegal (new)

Peacegal | 17 comments Are you planning on deleting this forum or will you keep it up for further discussion between members? Honestly, most of the other AR/veg book clubs are pretty dead.

message 6: by Erik (new)

Peacegal, I'll leave it up on the chance that people will continue to find this of value. I think much of what has been written here would be extremely helpful to both novice and experienced animal advocates.

But I do hope that many people here sign up for my special announcement list. I would very much like to find a better platform than GoodReads for an ongoing activist discussion. If and when I find that platform, I'll send out an email to my announcement list.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Erik,

Thank you for hosting this discussion and for being so organized.

I'm sorry that I didn't have much time to participate this time around. Goodreads (and I) slow down quite a bit in online activity during the winter holidays. Other times of the year tend to be significantly more active.

I did sign up for your special announcements.

And I did, finally, read your book, which I loved, and I'm glad that it's out there. It's one of many such books that I've read and it's another one that's a valuable addition to the ar genre.

message 8: by Jaya (new)

Jaya Bhumitra | 5 comments Erik, thank you for hosting this forum, and to everyone else who contributed to the discussion. I learned a lot from each of you, and Nancy, judging by your posts, I think you and I would be good friends. :)

One final thought before we hit the holidays -- if you are traveling, that is a great opportunity for outreach. I am preparing to go on an international trip, and I have packed veggie starter guides to spread around the airport coffee shops and boarding areas for people looking for airplane reading material, as well as the seat back pockets for every leg of the flight there and back. That way the people who sit in our seats after us can find the guides when they go looking for the duty free shopping guide, etc. If you are traveling over the holidays, I hope you will consider doing the same.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 10 comments Thanks Erik! It's been interesting to see the comments and participate in something with a lot of great people involved.

In terms of a future club, were you thinking of a permanent or temporary forum? There are many social clubs out there like http://www.ning.com/ or http://www.boonex.com/dolphin/ Or, there's the option of simply setting up a forum, such as phpBB from here: http://www.phpbb.com/ Those last two options, Dolphin and phpBB, are free software (though of course you need somewhere to host the software).

If interested I can set up some demo sites with them on the virtual server (located in the US) I run for the animal rights group I'm with in Korea. We could even talk about hosting a live forum on the server. Anyway, let me know if interested.

message 10: by Erik (new)

Thanks, Stephen. Perhaps you could email me at erik@vegan.com and we can start reviewing these options?

My current server setup is probably poorly suited to hosting a discussion forum, so ideally I'd like to have the hosting outsourced. I have some ideas towards that end that I'd love to discuss if you have the time.

I probably can't get anything serious happening until April but I'd like to build a tribe specifically for dedicated dismantlement activists.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Erik wrote: "I'd like to host another activist-oriented club in the future, but it will probably be on a venue with a richer set of discussion tools than that offered by GoodReads."

Erik,

Goodreads is trying to improve the site, and make it more appealing to members who are light users and to people who won't join.

You might consider joining the Goodreads Feedback group just to post in this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

You could explain what you'd require in a discussion forum in order for you to want to use the site.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments Thanks for hosting this Erik,

I found it to be very useful. Although I did not have time to participate as much as I would have liked, I did have time to read all of the posts and found many to be quite valuable.

I will definitely be interested in round 2 when you get it going.

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam | 5 comments I agree that this was useful, though like some others I wish I had been able to participate more.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy Petullo | 6 comments Erik wrote: "Thanks, Stephen. Perhaps you could email me at erik@vegan.com and we can start reviewing these options?

My current server setup is probably poorly suited to hosting a discussion forum, so ideally ..."

Erik,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It was wonderful to connect with others and read about all the good stuff going on.

I am definitely interested if you do another discussion group. Though I didn't have time to respond to many of the posts, I did read and enjoy them. I was one of those "responsible activists" Nancy talked about, staying up til the wee hours of the morning, losing sleep to get things done for our Vegan Christmas Potluck, showing "The Emotional World of Farm Animals" at a local restaurant, and working on our first vegan radio show, "All Things Vegan". Nancy did a great job of talking about what it means to be responsible and she's right, it is difficult to find people that will "follow through no matter what is going on in their life". We only have 3 or 4 that are that committed, but I suspect that is the case for many if not most of the groups.

Judy