Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Discover Your Inner Psychic for 2011

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 21, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Photobucket

So every year the psychics make their predictions of what will happen during the upcoming new year. So I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone can predict what new trends will take off, what trends will loose popularity, and/or what authors will gain popularity. Do you think more meaningful covers will be a trend? Do you think more marketing campaigns like Andrea Cremer's Nightshade will become more popular? Come on, let your inner psychic out.

message 2: by Rollie (last edited Dec 21, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments I can feel it.....
Hmmmmmmnnnnn....
2011 is the rising of the dystopian novels.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I see angel paranormals on the rise. Perhaps they will be even more popular in 2011?

With the rising popularity of YA sci-fi / dystopian / steampunk series this year I expect to see more of those on the market as well.

message 4: by Sans (new)

Sans I've been seeing a lot more books about mermaids, especially in YA.

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) Dystopian and, well, still romance novels. Many more strong heroines, too, I sense. But yeah, generally in YA I predict.

I also "sense" that 2011 will bring pirates but will actually lose a bunch of readers. I feel as if many already are dropping like flies. (Not me, but friends. Poor souls.)

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I look into my crystal ball and see.......
- Okay, so I predict Zombie romances will be laid to rest and NOT catch on. May they RIP.
- We will see more angel books.
- We will see more mermaid books.
- We will see less vampires. *sniff*
- Werewolves and other types of Weres will grow in increased popularity and take over the paranormal & urban fantasy terrain.
- I'd like to see book covers become more meaningful to the books, but somehow I doubt it. :(
Steampunk novels will also grow in popularity.
Ereaders will be spotted more frequently and B&N will be packed with people trying to take advantage of the 1 free hour a day for any book on their Nook.
Facebook will become slightly more popular than blogs for established authors.

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Speaking of predictions this article predict that self-publishing will be big in 2011:

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2010/12...

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Jan 02, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I predict in the literary world that:

Sadly, Ebooks will cost a tad more. A gain in popularity always means the consumer has to shell out more money. However, not to say the price increase will last...for some things it doesn't. I pray it doesn't!

Book covers will become more extravagant in design and color. Striking colors and intriguing designs are appealing, I must admit.

We will see new faces in Erotica and horror genres. I hope so. Personally, I think both of these genres need some new faces. It's time.

I predict in the name of fashion and music that:

Silly Bandz will fall into the abyss. We can only hope.

Flannel, even more than now, will be hip.

And if flannel is coming back, 90s grunge needs another decade in the spotlight.

Music will continue to be horrible and make your ears bleed, with small spurts of inspiration and talent (like 90s grunge). Just enough to keep one's sanity.

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana (Rollie, Erika, Alyssa, Rachel) Everyone who said Dystopia would become more popular was right on the money. The year is not over yet, but it's pretty obvious that the vampire craze has cooled down and Dystopia is the new thing to write/read about.

(Lisarenee and Sans) I haven't seen much mermaid books, but maybe I'm not paying attention. I am seeing less vamps published this year but like I said, I'm not paying attention.

(Rachel) Silly bands are still going strong around here, Are you still seeing them around? Flannel, however, is dying a slow and painful death. The music thing was spot on though. I'm glad for those hidden gem musicians.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet | 43 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Speaking of predictions this article predict that self-publishing will be big in 2011:

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2010/12..."

A good article by Ilona Andrews on the caveats of self-publishing is here.

Rachel you called it on music, 90s grunge & rock novels coming up!
Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John
Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes

I'm seeing less true magic and more psychics and mental powers. We'll see if that turns into a trend or not.

Where are the mermaids? Where?? Someone point me to the seashells & tails! The only mermaid I've seen in 2011 was on Doctor Who!

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I though so too, Jan (about the Mermaid thing that is). But Sans was actually right. There is an article in this morning's USA Today titled "Mermaids surface as the next big thing." Stephenie Meyer is currently working on a Mermaid book too. Some of the books listed were Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando , Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs , and Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1) by Sarah Porter .

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans My psychic powers are expanding! Soon, I shall rule the world. XD

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I think books about religion , politics and a lot of dystopia novels. I think because of all the big changes in the world but also because i really like those themes right now haha .

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Jan, Thanks for listing the article. I found it very interesting.