Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Christmas break

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments So when do you start your Christmas break, or do you take any time for the Holidays at all?

We have Friday off from work, and I took all of next week as a vacation.

message 2: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I work today-Wednesday, then am off Thursday-Monday and back to work the 28th.

message 3: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I go back to school on January 8th. Classes start back on the 10th.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm working Friday which means I miss out on the inlaws Christmas party. My office closes for the break between Christmas and New Year, I don't return to work until 4th January. Yippee.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Gabby81 wrote: "What have you planned for holidays , Jim? "

Not a whole lot, it is the only time I take vacation that I don't plan on being busy. We will go to the in laws to celebrate for a day, and then out for supper with my side of the family, and back home the next day. I will read a lot, and tinker at things around the house that need fixing. We may go to a movie, but nothing set in stone.

How about you, any big plans?

That seems like a quick return to school Britt, I think my daughter doesn't go back for two weeks after that.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart we have a short break. But we're out for 3 and a half months for summer, so I'm not complaining.

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'm taking Friday off and back to work on Monday.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have a weird flexible schedule through early January in which I have to get some things done but I can pretty much do them whenever I want. This sounds better than it is. But I've been home with sick kids or ferrying my wife around while her car is in the shop the last three weekdays, so my break sucks balls so far.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't know why but i read that as terrifying instead of ferrying.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) No holiday for me, alas--in fact we're not allowed to take vacations during the holiday season (Christmas through New Year's), which seems a bit illegal somehow. We can choose which holidays we want off and which ones we will work but there's no such thing as a "Christmas break". So I'm scheduled to work Christmas Eve and the night of Christmas Day. Depending on the hospital census I may get one of those off but I won't know til 2 hours before my shift is supposed to start so it's not like I can plan anything.

message 11: by Félix (last edited Dec 20, 2010 04:36PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "i don't know why but i read that as terrifying instead of ferrying."

Probably that, too.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I have Christmas Eve off, and Christmas Day, which I'm just now realizing is on a Saturday, so I should get some other eight hours off during the week.
Maybe I'll take off New Year's Eve...

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments We're closed the 24th and the 31st, we could work but that's crazy. Everyone in my department wanted Thursday and Monday off, so I'll take Wednesday to finish up shopping and baking. Maybe I'll take the Monday after New Year's to have another short week.
Dinner's here Saturday - ham and lasagna. You're all invited, bring deviled eggs.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
What do you do, Carol? Did you know if you slightly misspell your name you become Carlo?

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I work at a university library. I usually go by Carl, but Carlo's ok too.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Nice! I'm right this very second looking into a librarian endorsement to add to my sparkly new teaching licence.

message 17: by Félix (last edited Dec 20, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Carolita. With a brown dog.

message 18: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Britt-Britt wrote: "I go back to school on January 8th. Classes start back on the 10th."

Chloe also goes back on the 10th, Britt.
I take the first week of January off. Today I worked until 7:30pm. Supposedly it is the busiest day for packages but last Monday I worked until 8:15. Sometimes, it is hard to stay festive when you work at the Post Office. But then, I will have a customer, like the one from Germany, that is so excited to receive their package or a little kid that gives me a card and I just melt......

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments ms.petra wrote
I take the first week of January off. Today I worked until 7:30pm..."

it's nice to hear the good stories! Enjoy your week off.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Sallers wrote: "Nice! I'm right this very second looking into a librarian endorsement to add to my sparkly new teaching licence."

is an endorsement like a certificate?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sallers wrote: "Nice! I'm right this very second looking into a librarian endorsement to add to my sparkly new teaching licence."

Ooh, Sally, good idea!

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments my sister in law has christmas eve off. my sister has a 1/2 day off for christmas eve. My brother in law has the weekend off because he worked thanksgiving instead. I'm disabled so no time off from pain unfortunately although the migraines have not been as constant thank goodness. 2 or 3 days a week migraine free. hurrah!

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I'm taking Friday off as well as all next week. Hopefully I'll be able to fly out of here on Friday. Snow is expected. I've had mixed luck trying to leave airports in winter.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Have a nice trip LG, I've never tried to fly over a big holiday, hope all goes well.

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) safe travels, LG. :)

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Merry Christmas to the stay-at-home parents who never get a day off from work.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm off until next Monday! I mean, like, right now!

message 28: by Jim (last edited Dec 22, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You go Larry - really I mean go.

ETA - you will be around here though right?

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments enjoy the weekend, Larry.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Thanks, Jim and Petra!

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments good luck on your trip, LG!

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Thanks, Michele. You, too.