Classical music lovers discussion

Composers > Rachmaninoff

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Héctor (last edited Aug 18, 2010 01:14AM) (new)

Héctor
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto nº3 (by Martha Argerich-Riccardo Chailly)

message 2: by Héctor (last edited Aug 18, 2010 01:13AM) (new)

Héctor

message 3: by Héctor (new)

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 27 comments Oh, the hands.

message 5: by Héctor (new)

Héctor

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto nº3 (by Martha Argerich-Riccardo Chailly)

message 6: by Anna (last edited Sep 05, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Anna | 14 comments "Altogether Rachmaninov extremely positive, extremely healthy composer. This is music of health and balance, very giving and healing."

Taken from Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy

message 8: by Nemo (last edited Sep 22, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) "Vocalise" on different instruments. Which one do you like best?
Violin
Bayan (accordion)
Theremin
Flute

message 9: by Héctor (last edited Oct 08, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Héctor Theremin!! (According to the New York Times, Rachmaninoff attended a demonstration of the theremin in 1930, given by its inventor, Leon Theremin (a fellow Russian), at the Plaza Hotel in New York City)

Rachmaninoff - How fair this spot

message 10: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (bookpossum) | 25 comments I love Rachmaninov's quite amazing long and sensuous melodies. So full of heart and passion.

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) Have you heard he himself play Adagio sostenuto from Piano Concerto No.2? Beautiful ;)

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard (fantasyfangr) | 33 comments Yes--it is certainly beautiful!

The recordings Rachmaninov made of his piano concertos and "The Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" are available on a 2CD set put out be RCA Victor Gold Seal. 09026 61658--at least that's the set I have. It may be available elsewhere too. The performances of nos 1,3, and 4 are made with the Philadelphia Orch. conducted by Eugene Ormandy while in the Second concerto and the Rhapsody Rachmaninov is accompanied by Leopold Stokowski.

From an interpretive angle the only problem with this set is that in the 3rd concerto, Rachmaninov uses the shorter version of the piece. The recording was made in 1939-40 and possibly the Pianist was worried about his technique and/or stamina at that stage. He did recommend Vladimir Horowitz for anyone who wanted to hear the great full version which he did consider his best concerto.

message 13: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (bookpossum) | 25 comments I haven't heard recordings of Rachmaninov playing, though I believe he was a phenomenal pianist. I must try to find some.

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) Currently, I'm playing á Monsieur de Siloti Prelude in G minor with another girl. I must say, I love that song! Rachmaninoff may have just reached my list of top five composers!!!

message 15: by David (last edited Feb 21, 2014 09:57PM) (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvKTPD...

Rachmaninoff- Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (24 variations, London Symphony Orchestra)

message 16: by David (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJpJ8R...

Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (pianist: Yefim Bronfman, The Philharmonia Orchestra)

message 17: by David (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments Héctor wrote: https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/h...

Lol, Rachmaninoff had a huge dog.