Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Who would you be?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Day | 4 comments So, sometimes when I think about how DG hates fanfic, I get a bit itchy to write some. But whenever I sit down to try my hand at it (this has happened twice) I get stuck and can't think of what kind of character I would be if I were in 1700's Scotland or The Colonies. I like to think my family and I would be fierce leaders in the Jacobite rising and then succeed in surviving the uprising, but lately, I've been more realistic I think.

My husband, while he is handsome and intelligent and fantastic, is no Jamie. He's a good manager, but would that make for a good leader, a good laird?
And I'm good with languages, but I'm not particularly motivated, or fond of children, pigs, or gardens. Would I be a farmer's wife with 6 children, or would I be an old spinster with no one to depend on me?

So, who would you be? I'm not asking "Which character are you?" This isn't a goofy quiz or anything, but who would you be, if you lived at the same time as Claire and Jamie, Roger and Bree? Would you be a fiery-tempered, un-tame-able woman in breeks, or would you be like Lizzie, obedient (mostly) and somewhat dependant on others?

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Well I think I'd like to be Claire! And I think Lizzie has come into her own. She does have two husbands and she seems to be the boss.

message 3: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments I'd like to be Jamie and Claire's very BFF and get to be around them every day of their lives!

message 4: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Very Interesting question. When reading historical fiction, I can't help but put myself in the characters places and wonder if I could possibly endure what they may be experiencing. I like to think of myself as an independent and liberated woman. Quick to defend the underdog and wise enough to recognize when someone is BSing me. But that level of self esteem often comes with age and thus wisdom.

When younger, I was raised to be very obedient. I'm pretty easy going so I guess I could "conform" to what life doled out to me in that time and place.

Would love to befriend Claire and Jamie but honestly would always be lusting after Jamie and so then I would hate myself for being such a wicked friend to Claire.

message 5: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Well Ladyhawk...that would make you sorta Lord John..right??? :)

message 6: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Haha haha ha! Good one Sharon!! Well... I suppose it would. But LJ doesn't hate himself for it and makes no secret about lusting after Jamie. ;0)

message 7: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 39 comments Hmmm.. Well I'm no Claire but I do have the nurturing side to my nature so I could see myself as a wise old medicine woman/healer as I have a strong interest in naturopathy. Don't think I could be a true physician like Claire as I don't have what it takes to cut off gangrenous limbs etc.

message 8: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Jamie is so funny when he talks about Claire subjecting him to cutting off gangrenous toenails and such while he is trying to eat! Love it! I can just see his face.

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina | 87 comments I'm sorta like Clair because i can be sassy, but i don't really have an interest in medicine.

message 10: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments I would love to say that I would be Claire, but just one adventure in the mangrove forest and being up to my knees in mud made me realize I am not ready to be a heroine!
I would be just right for all the adventures in bed, the rest (pigs, farming, canning, etc) I am not so sure...

message 11: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 83 comments I would be their good friend and share in their adventures. And because I am a modern woman who looks young for her age and has all her teeth, all the men would be after me.
(I have a very active fantasy life...)

message 12: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments all the men would be after me.

Lol! They probably would be!

message 13: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 83 comments Plus I'm independent, so I would be intriguing in way that I'm just not in this day and age! But J & C would be protective of me b/c I'm their friend so not just anyone would do!

Um, you can see I've given this a fair amount of thought...sad sad me...

message 14: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments sad sad me...

Not so Kate! I am most certain we have ALL had our extensive fanatasies with ourselves in the story!LOL

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jan 06, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I would love to say I'd be the bold brave Heroine, but unfortunately I force myself to face reality.

I would probably be a mix between Roger and Lizzie. I think I would struggle to find my niche, like Roger, and start out nervous and extremely shy like Lizzie.

message 16: by Miss Kate (last edited Jan 06, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 83 comments re:"I would probably be a mix between Roger and Lizzie. I think I would struggle to find my nich..."

But remember they both come into their own, especially Lizzie!

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yep, that would be me. It'd take a bit of time to get acclomated, and then I'd do just fine.

I wouldn't settle right in immediately like Claire or Bree.

(And Lizzie got both the Beardsleys... not baaaad.)

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) | 59 comments I would adapt as well as Claire did, though I would likely cause a scandle for my lack of clothing. The thought of all the heavy layers of dress makes me cringe. In the cold months I would welcome them, but in the summer you would find me in a simple long cotton dress. Oh, and I would marry Jamie's twin!

message 19: by Mairicat (new)

Mairicat | 53 comments I know I would be outspoken like Claire and would have an independent spirit and a profession like her - sure, maybe medicine. I would want to be married to Jamie though, so I guess I WOULD BE Claire. Although if I had any say in the story I would live nearer to a town and have several beautiful healthy children with red hair and long straight noses!

message 20: by Sharonh (last edited Jan 08, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments I think the main reason Claire didn't have more children with Jamie is that she had trouble conceiving when she was young...much less when she was in her 40s and 50s though it wasn't impossible, it wasn't probable that they would be able to have more children. I know in those days women had children until their bodies gave out or their ovaries did....but Claire didn't. She told Jamie I think that she took some of the dauco seeds too? Or did I dream that? I know they discussed the fact that she could have had her tubes tied before she came back to him but decided not to in case he wanted more children with her...and he said he didn't want to risk her life by getting her pregnant and he was hopeful that she DID have the surgery....but she didn't.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I'd like to say I'd be just like Claire but unfortunately I would have some serious trouble just surviving. I am a very picky eater and eat little meat... I'd probably starve to death! If I could get used to the food I could probably get used to the smells...

I also am bipolar and while I can definitely function off my medicine, I am so much happier and more productive while on it. I also have a terrible time sleeping without sleeping pills so I'd likely be psychotic from lack of sleep,

Other than those minor things (lol) I'd do OK! I don't mind roughing it, really. I love to camp and am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do so I feel like I could defend myself to some extent. I am a good horseback rider with quite a bit of experience so I could definitely do something with horses.

So I guess it would really be a toss up to how well I'd survive! LOL!

message 22: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments I'd probably starve to death!

LOL! That would be my kids!

message 23: by Sharonh (last edited Jan 11, 2011 02:24PM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah, no way I'd eat blood pudding, boiled meat, mealy flour, yuck. I'd starve to death too. My husband says if I got hungry enough I'd eat...but I'm not sure. I'd be gagging the whole time. The only thing I've read that sounded even remotely palatable is bread, jam, honey, and potatos!

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments I would have trouble sleeping on the snowy ground. Went outside to have a cigarette last night and the wind was blowing and snow on the ground and I thought of Jamie and Claire making a nest and sleeping in that. But of course she has Jamie to keep her warm. Come to think of it-I'd do!!

message 25: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Big men put off a lot of heat! My husband is a big man and he has always been like a furnace! Not to great in the summertime....lots of sweating if he gets to near. LOL. But, in the winter it is great!

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments So true, Sharonh!! My BF is a big guy as well and he could definitely keep me warm.

Yeah, the meat that they describe makes me want to vomit. I doubt I would ever get hungry enough to eat that, but who knows. I am lucky enough to have never been that hungry in my life and I hope to keep it that way.

message 27: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah Samantha. I'm not a big meat eater anyway. I'd starve unless Claire would let me eat from her veggie garden and knowing Claire I bet she would. Everyone else would think I were nuts though since most people at that time didn't eat veggies besides turnips and potatos...maybe a carrot here and there. They do mention sweet potatos a few times. I like chicken, fish and occasionally some red meat...oh I forgot pork but boiled????? No way. Baked, grilled or fried is the only way to go.

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I like fish... maybe I could live on that!!

message 29: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It actually isn't true that people would eat anything if they are hungry enough. Samantha and Sharon, you can tell your husbands this.

I was watching one of those new survival shows with my husband and they were talking about how humans won't eat something that grosses them out. That alot of times that mental wall just won't get over it and people starve to death. (The show was about surviving apolocliptic scenerios and the son refused to eat the snake his dad caught because it was gross, lol).

message 30: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments I'll eat anything and everything & with Jamie keeps me warm at night, I'd do just fine. Hee hee.

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments I hear ya Wan!!!

message 32: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Gross, no way I'm eating a snake, armadillo, possum, alligator, octopus, raw fish, snails, fish eggs...that is all NASTY! Yuck! No raw oysters either...yuck...that would be as nasty as a snot wad.

message 33: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Come on Sharonh -- you are not even gonna try? Not even for Jamie?

message 34: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 39 comments I can't help thinking about the lack of refrigeration and all the spoiled food and all the tummy bugs we would be exposed to initially but I suppose our bodies would adapt in time. Think of the revolution in eating we could start with our 21st century knowledge of cuisines and nutrition. Depending on availability of produce. Hey we could start up a restaurant and find a nice little niche in the 18th century. Woops we would probably muck up the future with all those people we save from heart disease, cancer etc. Sorry I'm getting carried away now!!

message 35: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Wan, I don't think Jamie would care if ate nasty stuff or not. LOL. He might be amused that I thought those things were nasty, but he would understand (after I reminded him every so gently) that I am a 21st Century woman! LOL. I'm a veggie kinda girl! :)

message 36: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Coralie, Sometimes I think all the hype about refrigerating everything is overblown. I remember my grandmother served the big meal at lunch and then left it all on the table and covered it up with a table cloth and it was there ready for dinner....and remarkably no one ever died from ptomaine poisoning or had tummy aches from food left out all day.