The Bookworms of RVA discussion

Random Film Stuff

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N (last edited Dec 19, 2010 04:01PM) (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Gene: I was wondering if you could get Burden Of Dreams lined up for the spring. It's the documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo which I understand you already have it on your calendar.

Burden of Dreams is supposed to be a masterpiece on its own ...

message 2: by Gene (new)

Gene (stromangd) | 55 comments Mod
Of course, Nabil! Definitely going to watch both of these before the screening of Fitzcarraldo and probably do a bonus screening of Burden of Dreams for whoever cares to stick around or come back the next day.

message 3: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Yea Burden of Dreams would be excellent. I'll try to attend the screenings if they get scheduled in the afternoons? The other one I linked above about the making of Fitzcarraldo is actually a lyric reference from the song by Dan Bejar ("Destroyer"). :)

Fitzcarraldo is about a mad project (no spoilers there) and mounting that movie project itself was an act of madness so there is this great meta-cinematic commentary going on that I hope is the main subject of the "Burden of Dreams"

message 4: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
film-schedule from the other thread:

Of course any Tarkovsky will be more than excellent!! "The Sacrifice" was very in the vein of Bergman somewhat. The balloon flight scene from Andrei Rubylev on a big screen would be a treat to watch.

message 5: by Gene (new)

N-
(From Criterion's Web Site)

We will be announcing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Solaris as part of our May lineup. We now know that the black-and-white scenes in the film were meant to be tinted blue, and we have updated the feature accordingly. The supplements from the original DVD will not change.

The old DVD edition is officially out of print. However, we are offering it at a 65% discount from the SRP at criterion.com (use the promotion code RHEYA at checkout). We have a limited supply and will fulfill orders as soon as we can.

Link: http://www.criterion.com/films/553-so...

message 6: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Wow! That's unbelievable! I just put up my order. Thanks!

message 7: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Btw, here is the poster for Andrei Rublev I was talking about the other day.

message 8: by Gene (new)

That's a good looking poster! This is my favorite one that's currently hanging up in my room:
http://www.moviepostershop.com/murmur...

message 9: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
neat. I need to watch it sometime. Given its theme it'll be a good follow-up, I think, after the current Catherine Breillat pick.

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rockburn (rockburn) | 10 comments when does cinema talk meet again? tuesday nights at 6 or something, right? such a shame I have class at that time I'd like to come out.

message 11: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
It's at this Tuesday at 6. Not sure about the venue. It's supposed to be in one of the "smart rooms". Gene would know.

The film is À ma sœur