Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Poison Study (Study, #1)
This topic is about Poison Study
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Snyder, Maria V. - Poison Study - January 2011 BOM

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (last edited Jan 20, 2011 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana This topic is open for discussion on Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

message 2: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments Oh I just loved this book. Now I have an excuse to reread it. =)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I loved this series. I'll reread it too.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2220 comments I'm looking forward to starting this series. :)

Gina One of my favorite books of all time.

Nici (queennici102) | 20 comments i have just started this and am liking it so far

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Should we put discussions up for the other 2 books as well? I read all three books, but I'm going to reread them.

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments I finished Poison Study and I am in love! This is not a typical type of read for me, but I am so happy I took the chance it was amazing!

Galla | 110 comments Really enjoyed this one! Some of the things I liked in particular:

- The pacing. I felt drawn in right away and stayed interested until the end.

- The narration. I know a lot of people are wary of first-person narratives, but this is exactly the kind of story that suits first-person. In some novels, it leads to excessive, unproductive navel-gazing, but here, it heightens the tension, since Yelena's never sure what threat lurks around the corner.

- The characterization. Yelena is intelligent, talented, prickly, but also fundamentally kind. I love Valek as a character, too--Snyder did really well with the development of this pair's sexual tension, though I did feel the relationship lost something after they actually got together. (This feeling deepened after I read the next book in the series, but that's another post.)

I did keep wondering why, given how smart Yelena is, she seemed so clueless about what was actually happening at General Brazell's orphanage. Her confusion while she was still there was understandable, but in the timeline of this book, I thought she was a little unreasonably slow in piecing things together. I also thought the Criollo plot point was on the drawn-out side.

Overall, an excellent read.

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Jan 09, 2011 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Yelena was the kind of heroine I wished more books had. Her no bullshit personality and sprinkling of naiveté made her one of the more “real” characters I have come across in awhile. She did not expect someone to come save her or figure out a course of action for her. She did not totally crumble and fall apart when she was thrown back into the dungeon or when she had to visit the torture rooms again. She pulled herself together and more or less mended herself. I only wish more YA novels portrayed this kind of character. Yelena is definitely an independent young woman and can take care of herself quite well. Valek said it the best at the end of Chapter 27. He said “Delicate in appearance, but with a strength unnoticed at first glance.” I also loved the way Snyder wove Yelena’s wittiness with her tough personality. I saw myself in her quite a bit.

Valek was an interesting character. There was more to him than I thought. I commend Snyder on giving him a sensitive, caring side. Most “killing machines” don’t give a hoot. His defiance against Commander Ambrose over Yelena’s execution order sealed the deal with me. I knew then that he truly did love her and I loved him in return.

One of my favorite parts would have had to been when she finally told Margg off. I think I hated her just as much as Yelena did. What a bitter, mean woman. I equally enjoyed Valek’s reaction.

The part I least enjoyed would be the vagueness at the beginning. I would have liked to know more about Yelena’s life before she murdered Reyad. I felt like I did not know enough until the middle of the novel. I would have enjoyed the book better if I wouldn’t have had to think about that so much.

I would recommend Poison Study to just about anyone. The descriptions are nicely placed and well written as well as the dialogue. I also did not feel like the novel was rushed in the end. Snyder simply let it flow and when she thought it finished, it was finished.

message 11: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 11, 2011 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Rachel, I finally found my book and will be rereading the book. FYI if you continue on with the trilogy you'll learn more about Yelena's past. I loved each book and loved Valek more with each book. *sigh* He's one character I might stake a claim to.lol I was so sad when the study series ended. Snyder has another series I wish to read as well.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Oh good. That makes me happy! I always think of the first book in a series as the "background" novel so I was thrown for a loop when I did not get much of that. Glad to know I will get that later on. Gives me one more reason to continue the trilogy...I would have regardless just for Valek. I love him too. :)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I started out thinking I would have to slog through this book, not really expecting to like it, but then I was drawn in and hooked. I love a scrappy heroine. Good characters, well-written and an interesting story. I have the other books on hold at the library and can't wait to see how Yelena's story turns out.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2220 comments Finished this last night and loved it. So glad I finally read it after hearing about it for at least a year. I thought Synder did an excellent job on the characterization for Yelena, Valek and the Commander as well as most the secondary characters.

**spoiler**
I am glad Rand tried to save Yelena in the end. I wasn't surprised when he turned out to be a spy, but I did share Yelena's disappointment.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Diane- You know what? I agree with you on the Rand thing. I hated him most of the time and then he would turn around and do something to try and help her and then I had sympathy for him. He is a perfect character for teaching the lesson of what can happen when you get mized up in the wrong things and let greed/gambling consume you! Poor Rand!...

Heather T (horrorvacui000) I think this was the best book in the series. For me the other two fell a little short since Valek wasn't there as much and he's a favorite of mine, but they were still really fun reads.
I really liked the spin-off series as well. I made the mistake of reading book 1 of the Glass series first and then realizing it was a spin-off so I had to back-track to get the background story behind Yelena. =)

Brandi (slayeresque) Although this book was slow to start, I did eventually find it to be a compelling read. I think I mainly read it because all of the secondary characters were delightful. I don't know that I ever really connected with Yelena. I did put a hold on the rest of the series at the library and depending on how they turn out, I would be willing to read other books by this author.

I really like Valek, I thought he was good and well-rounded. However, the relationship between Valek and Yelena really didn't seem to be explored very well, and even at the end of the book, she didn't seem to understand him very well.

I really liked the characters of Ari and Janco, I thought they were excellent comic relief and generally fun to see. I look forward to hopefully seeing more of Irys in the next book, and I'm sort of interested in the character of May.

I thought the Commander's dual identity was interesting, but along with so many other things in this book, I was hoping to see this explored further. Perhaps this is just a case of all of the books being written together, but this first book left a large amount of loose ends, and half-dangled plot lines which left me feeling a bit cheated.

I liked the Rand character, and was a bit sad to see him go. I also liked Dilana, and I think I'll be sad to see less of her as well. I feel for her because even though Rand had a gambling problem, he did seem to love her truly, and she will likely only hear the bad now that he's gone, not the way he chose to go out instead of betraying his friend.

Alicia I enjoyed this book so much - a very fun fantasy read! I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but like others, I loved the fact that Yelena was such a strong, independent, kickass female lead. That kind of female lead has seemed so rare in YA fantasy lately. I also really liked that Yelena and Valek's relationship was sexy and gripping, but not to a point where it was the focal point of the entire story or where they were creepily dependent on/obsessed with each other. I think I'm realizing that I way prefer this type of "more traditional" (ie. magic) fantasy than all the paranormal or urban fantasy.

message 19: by Sashana (last edited Jan 23, 2011 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana I really wish I could've read this. My stupid library has all the books in the series except for this one :/. Glad you enjoyed it, Alicia.

message 20: by Sans (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sans Just started today, but I'm on page 110 already. I'm really hoping I can finish this by 11:59pm PST tomorrow. It'd be nice to finish a BotM on time.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments With this book, it should not be hard to do. Unless you just really are not in the mood to read. Go Sans Go!

message 22: by Sans (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sans LOL! Thank you, Rachel!

message 23: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma (emma8888) | 2 comments One of my favourite books of all time I love how the Yelena and valak develops and he begins to fall for her wonderful book .

message 24: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 15, 2011 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments For those of you who love the study series, Snyder is slowly writing a fourth story entitled, ICE STUDY. I don't know if she'll publish it but she periodically includes a part of it in her newsletters. She's asked anyone who receives the newsletters to encourage others to visit her site and subscribe to her newsletters to get the latest installment of Ice Study. So here is the link to subscribe to her newsletter:
http://www.mariavsnyder.com/news.php

Sandra | 27 comments I loved Poison Study. It is one of my favourite books and I was thrilled that there was another book in the series as I felt there was a lot more to the story and would not have been satisfied with the ending if it was a stand alone book. I also enjoyed Magic Study (the second book) but found Fire Study quite disappointing .

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Poison Study (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maria V. Snyder (other topics)