SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > January 2011 Science Fiction Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2010 02:01PM) (new)

The votes for the monthly theme are in and next month's theme is 'Science Fiction Masters'. Now it's time to nominate our book choices. There are so many authors to choose from, I'll let you decide who is a Master and which of their books to nominate ...

Once we have x books we'll vote on our selection and this will be the book we'll start on January 15, 2011. :)

Book Nominations
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven
At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to nominate Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein mostly because I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read it and it's supposed to be excellent.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Santo (locoduc) | 1 comments I nominate Split Infinity by Piers Anthony for the mix of magic and science. Interesting play between what science can do verses magic and where the two worlds intersect.

message 4: by Lianna (last edited Dec 19, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

Lianna Vigil (liannallama) | 9 comments I wanted to nominate Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov but it's not available! (waaah!) So I will nominate Foundation which is set in the same universe.
Foundation (Foundation, #1) by Isaac Asimov

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) In the interest of embarrassing myself and compromising my street cred, I nominate these two books from the masters that I have not read: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick and Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 19, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Split Infinity by Piers Anthony is available on Amazon UK but not Nook or Amazon US.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov is available as a nookbook and Amazon US, but not Amazon UK

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick is only available on Amazon US.

Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin is on all three ...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The trouble with the masters is I've read so many. Here is one I haven't read in twenty years and want to reread. It's available from Baen for $5.00 USD without DRM: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

As a second nomination, if we're allowed two, a horror/science fiction classic, At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. I'd say it's science fiction because it's not supernatural horror.

It's available in the US/UK and maybe some public domain sites. (The copyright status of Lovecraft's works are disputed.)

message 9: by Lyndl (new)

Lyndl | 27 comments I'll second the nomination for Starship Troopers. :)

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Greg wrote: "The trouble with the masters is I've read so many. Here is one I haven't read in twenty years and want to reread. It's available from Baen for $5.00 USD without DRM: [book:The Mote in God's Eye|9..."

I'll second that. I was going to propose it, but didn't see it on Amazon. Didn't think to look on Baen for Niven.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Eric wrote: "I'll second that. I was going to propose it, but didn't see it on Amazon. Didn't think to look on Baen for Niven. "

Quite a few authors seem to be putting their backlists up on Baen - Heinlein, Bear, Niven, Chalker, Ellison - it's become quite the happening place for trips back to my childhood.

I just noticed today that Chalker's original Well World series is there as well as Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2) - both favorites from my Gen X slacker high school days.

message 12: by stormhawk (last edited Dec 20, 2010 10:22AM) (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments Uh, Geoffrey ... Mote in God's Eye is Niven, not Heinlein.

I'll nominate ...

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
(because Ringworld isn't available on Kindle)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

hehe ... that was a test to see who was paying attention ...(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

This is a fantastic list ... I'm thinking one more to round out the list and off to voting we go. So show me what you got for the list's finale. :)

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I'll recommend Camouflage by Joe Haldeman as one I've not read yet.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

That's 2 out of three of my check spots, so there we go ... :)

message 16: by Tuttle (new)

Tuttle (tuttleturtle) | 9 comments This is such a hard group to choose from. I've read two and most of a third and my boyfriend has been trying to convince me to read one of the books and one of the authors...

I'm really tempted to just vote for Stranger because then I'll get around to finishing the book despite how difficult it is for me to read. (The rest of Heinlein I've enjoyed, that book I've really wanted to read and can't get through a few pages before the cognitive dissonance is so strong I can't keep reading and stay sane)

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Long (valeriejlong) | 17 comments Now there's Heinlein twice - how to choose?
I'd like to nominate First Lensman, just to represent the series.

message 18: by Arnold (new)

Arnold | 7 comments E.E. Doc Smith and the Lensman books would probably be a good choice right along with the Foundation books.

message 19: by Patrick (new)

Patrick O'Connor | 70 comments In the realm of science fiction (Colonization) I recommend/nominate the increasingly-misnumbered COYOTE trilogy from Allen Steele. (Presently around five or seven books, depending whether you count Spindrift and Galaxy Blues, which I do--)

Patrick O'Connor