100 books in 2011 discussion

General > chat room

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katoof (new)

Katoof | 154 comments Mod
Let's use this to have a general natter and to share books etc with each other !

message 2: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Anderson | 167 comments Mod
Is it just me or are realistic heroines hard to come by? Even few heroines that I like. And what is it with red hair? It's like you can't be a heroine in a fantasy novel unless you have red hair?

To me the best heroine I've come across so far is Mercy Thompson. She's real. Riley Jenson was good too, but again with the overused red hair.

Which characters are your favorites, and which annoy the crap out of you?

message 3: by Corrina (new)

Corrina | 3 comments I know what you mean about the red hair! It's kind of a weird pattern in fantasy novels...

Anyway, my favorite heroines are Rose from Vampire Academy and Kel from Protector of the Small.

On the other hand, my least favorite would have to be Zoey from House of Night. Now, that's not to say that the books aren't good. It's just that her personality is so annoying!

message 4: by Angelique (last edited Dec 22, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

I get what you men, oddly enough I've gotten the chance to read any other those yet.

I still can't figure out the red hair though. Why red?

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 3 comments Hey Angelique if you want to read about a really cool heroine,cop chick you should check out J.A. Konrath's Jack Daniels series. She's pretty kick butt and also Kat Richardson's Greywalker series has a pretty interesting heroine. Also in a way Princess Lea in Star Wars was a definitely heroine...remember she was a skywalker and probably had the force as well and like most women she used her powers while nobody was looking :O)....my wife does all her baking late at night so it's like magic when I get home in the morning from work and there all kinds of goodies to eat :O)

message 6: by Katoof (new)

what about nikki in the nikki and michael series by keri arthur

message 7: by Angelique (new)

I haven't tried any of those, but I'll have to. I'm just frustrated, because I've read so many good books out there but their heroines suck.

message 8: by Francie (new)

Francie (love_francie) I wonder if that is why I always have the urge to dye my hair red...

message 9: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I wanted red hair too (it is currently auburn-ish) but now everyone had that idea and there are tons of red heads now!

message 10: by Francie (new)

Francie (love_francie) Mine is a deep cherry aurburn. I did go very red in late 2008. My friend bleached my hair, then colored it red. Man, my hair grows so fast, that my roots were showing the 2nd day!! But I did look pretty awesome as a vampire for Halloween, lol!

message 11: by Francie (new)

Francie (love_francie) My friend just bought a book called The Red-Headed Step Child, lol!

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valerie3) | 9 comments can someone help me? how do i make a new thread under my name for the "books I've read" section??????

message 13: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle next to the titles of General ect it will say make a topic. click on it and follow the guide...it's pretty self explainatory.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valerie3) | 9 comments thanks you!!!

message 15: by Katoof (new)

merry christmas guys xx

message 16: by Katoof (new)

I'm really looking forward to start the January challenge, I didn't succeed this year but hope to next year

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valerie3) | 9 comments same, Im really exited!!

message 18: by Traci (new)

Traci | 31 comments I really liked rose from VA... Of all the books I read this past year that was my fave series... Getting on this site though, I have found about a hundred other supergirl stories I just have to check out.

message 19: by Katoof (new)

I know what you mean. Before I joined this site the only PNR I had read the twilight books and the sookie stackhouse (true blood) books. I never used to know what to buy as there is nothing worse than buying a book not liking it as you spend money on them and then spend so much time reading them. I have rarely read a book I haven't loved since joining goodreads as you have people giving you so many good retrogradations every day.

I love VA, Night huntress, BDB, riley jenson and many many more!!

message 20: by Katoof (new)

lol, the amount of horrid henry i read to kids at school I might be able to get to 1000 ;)

message 21: by Daria (new)

Daria (dariadeptula) Traci wrote: "I really liked rose from VA... Of all the books I read this past year that was my fave series... Getting on this site though, I have found about a hundred other supergirl stories I just have to che..."

There are SO MANY good books I wouldn't have discovered without GoodReads...

message 22: by Traci (new)

Traci | 31 comments Єmiℓy wrote: "Traci wrote: "I really liked rose from VA... Of all the books I read this past year that was my fave series... Getting on this site though, I have found about a hundred other supergirl stories I ju..."

I can agree with you completely! This site has added epic potential to my reading list as well as great people to offer fantastic feedback about their own faves! I love GoodReads!

message 23: by J. Rosemary (new)

J. Rosemary Moss (jrosemarymoss) | 45 comments Lisa said: Before I joined this site the only PNR I had read the twilight books and the sookie stackhouse (true blood) books.

I've watched True Blood on HBO and enjoyed it. I'm going to try out the first Sookie Stackhouse book this year. :)

message 24: by Traci (new)

Traci | 31 comments Regarding The Sookie Stackhouse books... I just read book 1 last month. I liked it. The first 5 chapters read [word for word] with season one of the show, drove me nuts... but I kept on reading and then right about chapter 12 I was thrown for a loop. Its not word for word anymore and i finally got vampire bills voice outta my head. Now I am actually looking forward to book 2.

message 25: by Katoof (new)

i love to sookie books, i read them before i saw true blood..... I found the accents hard at first but i soon got used to them and I am hooked on true blood... i still prefer the books but do love both

message 26: by J. Rosemary (new)

J. Rosemary Moss (jrosemarymoss) | 45 comments Robyn wrote: i loved the sookie stackhouse books. i read them before watching the true blood show and i think because of that could not get into it. i think i am the only person who doesnt like true blood, but i sure loved the books!

Apparently not, judging by the responses here! Now I'm wondering if Lisa and I only ones who do enjoy the show. :)

But I started watching the show without being familiar with the books, so I didn't have any particular expectations. I just wanted something that would fill the hole Buffy and Angel left. Well, turns out I don't love it the way I loved Buffy. (I'm pausing for a melodramatic sigh.) But it's still a fun show in a cracked kind of way!

message 27: by Traci (new)

Traci | 31 comments J. Rosemary wrote: "Robyn wrote: i loved the sookie stackhouse books. i read them before watching the true blood show and i think because of that could not get into it. i think i am the only person who doesnt like tru..."

Fun in cracked kinda way is exactly why I watch. Like what could they possibly do next?! I didnt pick it up til season 3, but I watched 1 & 2 on demand in the week before 3 started.. now Im countin the days til season 4 starts. Nothing could ever replace Angel tho! I watch bones and pretend he is still a vampire... :sigh:

message 28: by Katoof (new)

I am a huge buffy and angel addict, got both box sets on dvd... mmmm angel!! but I love eric northman!!!!!

message 29: by Francie (new)

Francie (love_francie) I love Buffy & Angel. I miss those shows. Oz & Spike were my fave dudes, lol!! I still love Seth Green too.

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 5 comments my favorite female character is Anita Blake. Looking forward to "Hit List". I enjoy Mercy Thompson as well. and Merry Gentry.