Victorians! discussion

Nominations Archives > January/February 2011 Winner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SarahC (last edited Dec 18, 2010 09:41AM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1418 comments We'll be reading Little Dorrit for our January through February group read. Please join us...

[I just made an edit to extend the read through February per Silver's message. We will now have plenty of time for discussion. I look forward to it.]

message 2: by Mike (last edited Dec 18, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

Mike (mikesgoodreads) | 2 comments Hi,
I just wanted to say that I'm still active here but just sorta lurking to really learn about and get the feel of the group. I am happy I joined here, it was the sort of group I had been searching for but I didn't connect the name as I explained in my introduction.

The reason I posted this here is that I also wanted to say I'm up for group reads here and plan to participate in February or March. Little Dorrit is too long for me to include along with my other January group reads.

Thanks, be reading ya!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Mike, we will miss you but look forward to hearing from you in February and March. Thanks for letting us know. :)

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I'm not sure I'll read it. Have so many others to read in the near future. I've wanted to read it for a long time though. This is a great opportunity.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Just push those others aside and come along with us, Martha. (don't push aside Truman though!) :)

message 6: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments I'm Here! I'm really looking forward it: it'll be my first experience of a reading group here!

message 7: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1418 comments Great, Laura!

message 8: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments Patrizia and I will be reading in tandem, as usual!!!!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Perfect Laura and Patrizia!

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I ordered a copy on Amazon. I am looking forward to my first read with the group also.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Wonderful Vicki. As always so happy to be reading with you! :)

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) i will try to see if I can locate a copy.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Robin, It is free on the ereaders if you have one.

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) don't have one, but will try online?

message 15: by Silver (last edited Dec 18, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Silver You can find it online. I will be reading it on Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/9/6/963...

message 16: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bern51) Silver wrote: "You can find it online. I will be reading it on Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/9/6/963..."

Just my opinion, but I recommend getting the Penguin Classics edition (says it's a companion piece to PBS series) because it has extensive book notes. I'm reading LD now, and don't think I'd be able to understand a lot of the book were it not for those book notes. I downloaded the free edition on my ereader, because I didn't want to carry this brick around, but found I had difficulty reading it without the notes. There are a lot more confusing terms about the government offices that had me completely lost when I was reading from my Nook. There are also some charming illustrations throughout the book as well as maps and copies of Dickens' original notes.

message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Marialyce wrote: "Just push those others aside and come along with us, Martha. (don't push aside Truman though!) :)"

I have to read the ones I won so I can review them. Will finish one this weekend I hope & hopefully one or two more by the end of the year. And I hope to catch up with you all in Truman! It's so good, isn't it?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) It is Martha. I do have to read the next section by tomorrow. :)

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I will try, thanks everyone for pushing us slowpokes on.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 30 comments I'm planning on reading Little Dorrit. It's been on my TBR forever so this is just the motivation I need.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Great Anna! Happy you will be joining us.

message 22: by Faith (last edited Dec 19, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Faith (faithbw) I'm happy to read Little Dorrit. It'll be my first Dickens read since 9th grade English. I always remember really disliking Great Expectations and that turned me off of Dickens since then. I've seen the LD miniseries, which I really enjoyed. Perhaps, now that I am older, I will get over my fear of Dickens. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the Dickens section of a bookstore, gotten a book only to put it back right before I go to the checkout line. I hope to be able to pick up a copy either today or tomorrow.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) That's wonderful, Faith. So happy you will be reading along with us.

message 24: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I downloaded a copy to my iPhone this morning. I hope I can keep up! :-)

message 25: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments I'll read it on my sony reader. Do we divide it in parts? Something like I've seen you've done with Collins and Gaskell. With Patrizia and other italian friends we'll be reading No Name as well!!!
Is someone interesetd?

message 26: by Silver (new)

Silver LauraT wrote: "I'll read it on my sony reader. Do we divide it in parts? Something like I've seen you've done with Collins and Gaskell. With Patrizia and other italian friends we'll be reading No Name as well!!! ..."

Yes, I will devide it into parts. Becasue Little Dorrit has two parts.

Book One: Poverty
Book Two: Riches.

I will start by posting the chapter sections for "Poverty" and as the discussion progresses I will had the chapter sections for the 2nd part.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Faith wrote: "I'm happy to read Little Dorrit. It'll be my first Dickens read since 9th grade English. I always remember really disliking Great Expectations and that turned me off of Dickens since then. I've see..."

The same thing happened to me, Faith! Reading Great Expectation in 10th grade ruined my desire to read any more Dickens. However, I'm currently reading A Christmas Carol and am really liking it. I may have to give Dickens another try.

message 28: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1418 comments Great Expectations might not have been the one for you. His writing is so rich and vast, it would be a shame to not try out more of his work. I prefer other of his novels to Grt. Exp. myself.

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Bleak House is good, don't get bogged down with how long it is, just read for the satisfaction of reading him.

message 30: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1418 comments I agree Robin. I purposefully sectioned Bleak House out over a period of time just to read it as fully as possible. I was reading it at my own pace not as part of a group discussion or anything, so I set a long time table for myself. And it also has a much different feel than Great Expectations.

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) It has taken me a few months to get through the entire Bleak House, while also reading lighter fare in between. I couldn't just read Bleak House straight through. But I did it nevertheless, so I am proud of myself that I did not get discouraged.

message 32: by LauraT (last edited Dec 20, 2010 03:35AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 495 comments I'm planning to read Bleak House when we've finished with Little Dorrit; Great Expectations is one of my favourite by Dickens, but I admit that it is one of the wierdest!!!

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I feel that I need to take a breather in between Dickens, not that he isn't a good writer, but sometimes one needs to clear their head of the details of his writing. It was worth reading, and it only took me several months, between reading other books. I also have a copy of Great Expectations, did not know that is a weird book.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 736 comments It's so lovely to hear from people who will be joining in as their first read with the group ☺ Hope you enjoy it!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 736 comments Faith wrote: "I'm happy to read Little Dorrit. It'll be my first Dickens read since 9th grade English. I always remember really disliking Great Expectations and that turned me off of Dickens since then. I've see..."

Faith, I had a similar experience to you. I had to read GE at school also and I HATED it! It was disected within an inch of its life and I got no enjoyment out of it at all. However, about 2 years ago I made myself pick it up again and I loved it! What a different experience it was for me (and I loved the humour in it which I had missed first time round).

The only other book by Dickens that I have read is A Christmas Carol (which is one of my favourite all time books) so I don't know why I am so scared of reading his others. Maybe it's the length?

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca LauraT wrote: "I'll read it on my sony reader. Do we divide it in parts? Something like I've seen you've done with Collins and Gaskell. With Patrizia and other italian friends we'll be reading No Name as well!!! ..."

Laura, No Name by Wilkie Collins. I would be intrested. I have most of them. When woudl you want to start.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Dickens can be a tough read, length wise, but I found that if you read a small portion daily, and not read too many chapters in one sitting, it can be enjoyable. That is how I finished Bleak House. Or also add some lighter reading material in between readings. Since we will be reading Little Dorrit, I will use my own advice.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Robin wrote: "Dickens can be a tough read, length wise, but I found that if you read a small portion daily, and not read too many chapters in one sitting, it can be enjoyable. That is how I finished Bleak House..."

...and I will use your advice as well, Robin.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Thanks Marialyce. I found with the books by Dickens, either he tires you out, but I didn't find that while reading Bleak House, he seemed to try to almost make it an exercise for readers to not try to tire them out, he would describe something, than elaborate on it, so for me that kind of broke up the reading for me. I don't know how it is in Little Dorrit's case, saw the movie, and liked it.

message 40: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithbw) I brought the book on Monday but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I hope to start today. I'm glad I'm not alone in my experience. Hopefully Little Dorrit proves more enjoyable for me. :)

message 41: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2507 comments Faith wrote: "I brought the book on Monday but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I hope to start today. I'm glad I'm not alone in my experience. Hopefully Little Dorrit proves more enjoyable for me. :)"

I hope it does, too. I found it wonderful, and am hoping very much that my vision allows me to re-read it and participate in the discussion of this delightful book.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I think we start reading in January, or can we start now?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) We start in January, Robin, but of course you can start now if you would like to. Silver is going to put the Chapter assignments up soon.

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Thanks, I am reading a book about Charles Dickens and the entire Victorian writing, by Pool, he also wrote what Jane Austen ate, etc.

message 45: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1418 comments We are saying anyone can start reading now, but we start discussing Jan. 1, right?

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I will start now, I guess.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Robin wrote: "Thanks, I am reading a book about Charles Dickens and the entire Victorian writing, by Pool, he also wrote what Jane Austen ate, etc."

I just finished What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-The Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England and found it to be a great resource for helping me to better understand the context of Victorian literature!

message 48: by Shay (new)

Shay | 20 comments Sarah wrote: "Robin wrote: "Thanks, I am reading a book about Charles Dickens and the entire Victorian writing, by Pool, he also wrote what Jane Austen ate, etc."

I just finished [book:What Jane Austen Ate an..."

I borrowed a copy from the library and liked it so much that I bought a copy. It's set up really well for quick reference- it has a glossary and the organization of topics is very good for when you want to look up a card game like whist.

message 49: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bern51) Robin wrote: "Thanks, I am reading a book about Charles Dickens and the entire Victorian writing, by Pool, he also wrote what Jane Austen ate, etc."

Thanks Robin, there are a lot of copies on Ebay...just got a "very good" used copy for 4.99, that includes shipping...wish I had this when I started reading Little Dorrit...Great tip!

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) the book I was referring to was Charles Dickens Fur Coat, and Charlottes's unanswered letters, I am almost done with the book, this is a sequel to Pool's other book, the aforementioned what Jane Austen ate, etc. It has a lot of the Victorian writers info in there, from Dickens, to Thackeray, to George Eliot, it is a veritable treasure trove of how they got started in the business, and it interweaves Bronte, with Gaskell biography, and what scandal that caused for Bronte's brother, Branwell.

« previous 1