Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Writing in the margins

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn (jordynface) I keep coming back to this problem/question. I have so many wonderful books and would love to mark up these books as I reread them, but I have some major hesitation when it comes to writing in books. Not only because I like to keep my books in near-perfect condition, but also because I often loan my books out to family members and don't want other people reading my private thoughts or scribblings in the margins.

It seems like such a big leap to make but maybe I'm overthinking things?

Do you mark up your books? Do you suggest it? Can you think of a good reason why I really shouldn't or should?

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I can only speak from personal experience, but my opinion is YES. Write in them... depending on the book. (See, there's my disclaimer)

Firstly, it should be said that I use the library a lot, so the majority of what I'm reading I don't have the option to write in. I only buy books I know I will want to read again. Because of this I have certain books that I absolutely will not touch with any type of writing utensil. These are my precious books, the ones where you quite literally have to sign a contract in your own blood to return them before I would even begin to consider letting them leave my house. (Like my copy of P&P that is still missing 3 years later!, ugh)

However there are some books where I have written thoughts down (mostly fun chicklit like Bridget Jones) and when I have loaned them out and my friends have also made comments in the books, so as I re-read them I get to read what they think too. They write me little notes and it becomes a real treat. (If you don't mind others writing on your things) However my friends are great and they only write in books where I have written things first. They never asked me if they could write in them, it just sort of happened and I love it!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

message 3: by AmandaNicole (last edited Dec 18, 2010 09:15AM) (new)

AmandaNicole Due to lack of space, I, too, borrow all of the books I read, from friends and the library. I use small sticky notes while I'm reading (and write page numbers on them), and then take them out when I return the book. Sometimes I save them if I want to write down my thoughts about a book in my book journal, sometimes I just toss them. Hope this helps!

message 4: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn (jordynface) Brittany wrote: "I can only speak from personal experience, but my opinion is YES. Write in them... depending on the book. (See, there's my disclaimer)

Firstly, it should be said that I use the library a lot, s..."

See, if I were to write in the margins of books it would be the ones I really really love & have a personal connection to... which is sort of what makes it difficult.