Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Sarah Langan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I just started reading The Missing and I'm really liking it so far. It's my first book by Langan and I was wondering what your pinions on this book, as well as The Keeper and Audrey's Door, are. I'm fifty pages into The Missing and I am getting some very good feelings about Langan already as a horror author.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think Langan is a great writer and she devotes a lot of time creating believable characters for us to care about. I loved Audrey's Door and The Missing but didn't like The Keeper at all. Haven't read The Lost.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments The Missing doesn't seem like it's part of a series but on here it says it's Keeper 2 or something. Anyway, I completely agree with you, Tressa. I already like the female protagonist who has that large gap between her front teeth. It's something new for me in a character. I like how she isn't trying to make everyone perfect. And James, the demented little boy, is freaking me out. The description of what he did to the rabbit is aweful in the best possible way for a fan of horror. I'm going to read this all day now.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I couldn't put down The Missing or Audrey's Door. AD won a Bram Stoker last year, I think.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I'm pretty sure that The Missing one that award too. If this keeps going the way it's going, I'm going to be reading Audrey's Door tomorrow. I don't have The Keeper yet.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I almost didn't read The Missing because it said it was part of a series. I rarely want to invest in a series. But I found a copy at a thrift store and thought, What the hell? I'm glad I did because I loved it.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments It seems like a novel that is almost a stnd-alone anyway so I don't mind. I've been trying new horror authors out the last couple of weeks and Langan is the only one who has impressed me.

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments Sarah Langan doesn't have anything out besides The Keeper, The Missing, and Audrey's Door. She is writing a series wit James Rollins right now. The first book in it should be out in October this year.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I like Rollins but his books are a lot like a lot of other authors. Not really horror either but I would say that his novel Excavation comes pretty close.

message 10: by Jason (last edited Jan 23, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I love Langan's work, so far. My favorite would probably be either The Missing or Audrey's Door. Maybe both.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I liked them both, too, Jason. Didn't like The Keep for some reason.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Audrey's Door was the better of the three she had out for me. I think she really hit her stride with it and made something great.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I didn't mind The Keep, I just thought that it wasn't as good as the others. I can't wait for more from her.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I really need to read Audrey's Door from what everyone else has been saying. I've only read The Missing. I'm reading Depraved by Bryan Smith now but after that I will read Audrey's Door.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Go for it, Adam. I just hope that you love it as much as we do!

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I wanted to like The Keep, but it just didn't have the same quality of character development as the other two do. Adam, enjoy AD. It's really, really good and all kinds of creepy.

message 17: by Jason (last edited Jan 24, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I'd agree on both counts, Tressa. I'd take it even farther and say that Audrey's Door is probably her best. A really solid piece of writing.

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I liked Audrey's Door, but I felt that it tended to drag in some parts. Some scenes, like the huge portion of dialogue between Saraub and his associate on the plane where they discussed the environment, seemed out of place because it was very long and did not move the plot along at all. I really couldn't connect to any of the characters either, but I'm still glad that I read it because Langan is clearly a great writer. I just wish she wouldn't have deviated from the plot so often!

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I agree, Jason. That's why it won a Bram Stoker award. (I think it was a Stoker.)

Tiffany, so funny you mention that you can't connect with the characters, I connected to them all, even the bit players, like Saraub's mother. That's normally not like me. A writer has to work his/her ass off to get me to care about a character. I don't remember any deviations from the plot. I don't recall the discussion on the plane, but surely if it was in the book it served a purpose.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I think that conversation on the plane served to show, if I remember it correctly, some of Saraub's personality, his strengths and weaknesses. If I am remembering correctly, in that scene he was worrying about the futility of the documentary he was working on, how it was collapsing on him. In my opinion, you really show what a person is made of when you take their dreams and squash them. Keep in mind that this failure in his professional life resembles the failure of his relationship with Audrey, as well, which is part of the plot.

I could be remembering that scene wrong, or thinking of the wrong scene, though. Hell, I could just be downright wrong. LOL :)

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Nah, you're probably right. I doubt it was a throwaway scene. Maybe it's like that scene in Fargo where Marge meets that old classmate at the hotel buffet and everyone thinks it doesn't mean anything to the movie, that's it's just a throwaway scene. But it's not.

I can't remember the scene with Saraub exactly, but it's the details like this that build a life for the character and that's what makes them full-fledged and for me it's the sign of a good writer.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I totally agree. On the other hand, I do think that some authors, especially in the fantasy field, can take things like this way too far. But that usually falls more into the world building and descriptions and whatnot.

Anne Rice comes to mind. LOL

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I don't read much fantasy so I've been spared all this. I do hate when an author goes on and on about scenery. I also hate looking at people's vacation photos of scenery. Snooze.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Jason wrote: "I think that conversation on the plane served to show, if I remember it correctly, some of Saraub's personality, his strengths and weaknesses. If I am remembering correctly, in that scene he was wo..."

You hit the nail on the head Jason I felt that way about the scene too.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I loved Audrey's Door, such a visual book for me.