Anne Rice lovers! discussion

Off Topic > What is it about Anne Rice's writing that you love?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments I'm thrilled to see that there are so many devoted Anne Rice lovers out there, and my aim is to see if I can identify with WHY! :)

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 6 comments I suggest starting with Servant of the Bones or The Mummy to acclimate yourself with her style. She's a beautiful writer! Have fun!

message 3: by Colleen (last edited Dec 27, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Colleen I feel myself falling when I read her work. Its like reality disappears and I'm in her story and I don't come back until, "the end". She moves me....literally, from reality to where ever she has the story go. And, that's what I love about her writing. So few authors are able to do this.

message 4: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Pesce | 2 comments I fully agree with Colleen. You lose yourself in her stories and characters, so much so that when you look up from the book, you might have to take a few minutes to get back to your everyday life. I particularly love the way she's developed Lestat as a character. He's grown and evolved in so many ways...he's much more complex as a vampire than most other bloodsuckers.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I agree claudia, I loved Lestat as a character. Have you read her newer work, "angel time"?

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments I haven't read much of her newer work, but I've been reading Anne Rice since I was about 14. She captivated me from the first moment I laid eyes "Blackwood Farm" which is, and I believe will always be my favorite... I think I've read it about 5 times now. Since Blackwood Farm, I've read a great deal of her books. Every one that I've read spoke to me in its own way. The style of the laguage that Anne Rice uses is beautiful and unique, and I always got the sense that I had a very close relationship with all of the characters. Among my favorites are Lestat (ofcourse), Pandora, Tarquinn, David and Maruis. However, when I started to read the books she wrote on Christ (names escaping me right now, sorry) I wasn't nearly as enthralled. I just couldn't finish it! I decided Colleen, that "Ange Time" sounded great and it is next on my purchase list :) It's wonderful that there are other Anne Rice junkies out there like myself. I'm going to give the newer works a second chance...

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments Jenn wrote: "I suggest starting with Servant of the Bones or The Mummy to acclimate yourself with her style. She's a beautiful writer! Have fun!"

Jenn wrote: "I suggest starting with Servant of the Bones or The Mummy to acclimate yourself with her style. She's a beautiful writer! Have fun!"

Servant of the Bones was awesome, as was Memnoch the Devil.. They are both true works of art.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments Claudia wrote: "I fully agree with Colleen. You lose yourself in her stories and characters, so much so that when you look up from the book, you might have to take a few minutes to get back to your everyday life. ..."

Claudia, you couldn't be more right on!! Lestat is by far one of the most complex and enthralling characters I've ever had the privilage of "knowing". Rice certainly has a way of captivating. (Hence the reason I'll sneak a few chapters at work ;) )

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Pesce | 2 comments Have you guys been to New Orleans? I nearly fainted when I passed by Anne Rice's house...and again in the cemetery...and in several other spots around the Garden District. There's a book store (don't remember the name) that caters to Anne's fans and I got my picture taken with this mannequin that was supposed to be Lestat...lol!I haven't read Angel Time yet, but I will pick up a copy as soon as I can!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments I haven't been to New Orleans, though it is definitely on my "places I must see before I die" list. :) haha sounds like it would be incredible!

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 7 comments Claudia wrote: "Have you guys been to New Orleans? I nearly fainted when I passed by Anne Rice's house...and again in the cemetery...and in several other spots around the Garden District. There's a book store (don..."

I went to New Orleans in 2005. I didn't get to see her house, but as we walked around the Quarter I would see spots from the book and the movie. At one point, we were walking through Jackson Square, and I screamed...THAT'S CLAUDIA'S BENCH! In my defense, I did have 3 strawberry daquari's by then. LOL

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Champagne | 9 comments Hahah! Don't worry Claudia, I would have probably done the same thing. New Orleans seems absolutely magical.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Her ability to write outrageous erotica also sets her apart

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen You're right Nigel! But even apart from her overly explicit erotic passages, her writing in general has erotic undertones which is what I think makes her writing so alluring.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Indeed, quite a skill for full-blown in your face erotica to mix with subtle undertones of suggestive licentiousness

Cheryl aka Pashion (ExRockGoddess) | 2 comments Sorry I was late to the party but i agree with Nigel and Colleen... Anne Rice's appeal is that whatever she writes is sensual. The scenes where they mutually share blood leaves you with the feeling that whatever you've just experienced was "Better than sex" and that you have moved to a new spiritual plane all in one!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It is very unusual to push boundaries so hard in work that is not pure erotica

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

For me, it's her unique way of finding that little inner curioousity of the reader and exploiting it to it's height. For me it the homosexual tendencies of some of her most loved characters and also, the guidind hand, unlike a lot of authors today, that just let you wander off on a tangent, Rice, tends to lead you gently by the hand without forcing a plot, I adore it!

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Molloy (lesliemolloyphx) | 4 comments Anne Rice is darkly seductive. Her vampires aren't horror characters, but they're intelligent, witty, and sexy. Books like Servant of the Bones and The Mummy are historically interesting, educational, and again - so seductive and captivating.

The first book I read by Anne Rice was Interview With the Vampire, and I then read another vampire chronicle, then another, and another. I fell in love with The Mayfair Witches, and although I haven't read many of the newest vampire books, I adored her Christ the Lord books as well. She's simply a fantastic story teller, and I adore her!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree the journey into your darkest desires that she takes you on is a wonderful experience

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie T.G. (crochetmom65) | 12 comments I just really love reading about the vampires and witches that Anne Rice wrote about. It took me less than 2 days to read each of the books (one I read on a Saturday with small breaks but finished that day). While there are other authors that I read now, none have lived up to her writing and the characters she's created should serve as a basis for anyone wanting to created a vampire related story. The Servant of the Bones was even made into a comic book. I think her writings were a result of various life events that helped her to work through those events.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sha has an incredible imagination for sure

message 23: by Theuniverse67 (new)

Theuniverse67 (theuniverse) | 3 comments Her rich style of descriptive writing.

message 24: by Gini (new)

Gini (chickenhawk) I have been reading Anne's books for over 20 years. I have read them all, except the Christ books. I will get to those eventually.

I have them all in hardback/softcover and am now buying them all on my kindle.

Right now I'm rereading Servant of the Bones. Love all of her books. I also love ancient history and I think this is why her books are so perfect for me. Kudos to Anne and her storytelling....she is for me one of the best

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Senneville | 1 comments What I love about Anne’s writing is her description. while some authors would say “She was wearing a blue dress,” Anne Rice would say “She is wearing a cobalt blue velvet dress with collar and cuffs of white Alcuin lace and fastened at the back with pearl buttons. In her dark chestnut hair is a while satin ribbon that matches her white slipper satin shoes. And she carries a bouquet of white roses and baby’ breath. Around her neck hangs a powder blue and white cameo of a mother and child, set in filigree silver.” Her descriptions are fuller and lusher, and they make you feel as though you are there.
Some might argue that the reader should be allowed to use their imagination, but I know that if I am left to imagine how a character is dressed or what a roomed looked like, my characters would be dressed in non-descript clothing in a black and white room.
No one I have ever read does it as well as Anne, except maybe Charles Dickens.

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Williams | 2 comments I love the imagery of her writing. The way she writes makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. Being able to write in such a way that readers will feel with the characters is an amazing ability and what makes me really fall in love with an author.