Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Book Club Discussions > DECEMBER - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Becky (last edited Dec 16, 2010 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I just finished this like a week or two ago for the 2nd time this year. I actually listened to the audio and it was such a different experience to reading it! I listened to about 2/3 of the story via the Jim Dale reading, but then I switched to the Stephen Fry (UK edition) reading. I just prefer Fry's reading style - it's more natural. Dale is too much and too over the top for my tastes.

I love this series though... Anything that can feel new after so many readings - and still be enticing enough to make me read it twice in 6 months is a fantastic book/series!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy That's what is great about the series. Every time you read it, you discover something new. I enjoyed reading all the extra books and the guides and such too.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I never reread (well hardly ever), but this series is one that is so much fun to reread for just the reason Amy said- you discover something new ever time or you understand something you didn't :)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I re-read a lot... I just love to experience my favorite books again and again... And it's true, there's always something new to find in these.

I'm listening to the audiobooks now and it's almost like the first time. I mean, I know what's coming, but the details are all so different hearing it rather than seeing it on the page. I wouldn't say better, because of course someone else's interpretation of tone and accent and all that are bound to be different than mine -- but it is different and interesting to experience it from that perspective.

It's kind of hard to talk about just one book without referring to the rest of the series, since so much in one affects everything else and stuff that is related in later books has so much bearing on previous ones.

Man, this is a brilliant series.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I don't re-read that often either. But occasionally I find books that I love and after I read them I put them right back into the to be read pile. I have one book that I read every summer because I love it that much!

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Which book, Amy?
I don't generally read on schedule... Just when I'm in the mood. :)

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy The one I constantly re-read is a romance book (gotta have light for over the summer). I've read the Twilight series several times. But I am planning on re-reading Fallen, Hush Hush, Blue Bloods series,and the Uglies series.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 29 comments I love this book.I have read to my kids as well and its one of the few chapter books all my kids love. I have to tell something funny that happened the other day. We were saying a family prayer the other day and it was my four year old's turn and she started after a few seconds my nine year old yells out it's Dear Heavenly Father not Harry Potter.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy That is pretty funny!

Paula (pauldajo) That's adorable, Katie!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoyed all of the books in the Harry Potter series. J.K. Rowling has a fantastic imagination, and the way she describes things is great. The books are all exciting, the characters wonderful, and the action is non-stop. I think she does a marvelous job with character growth and development as well.