Multilingual Harry Potter discussion

New Member Introductions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia (bilingworm) | 10 comments Mod
Welcome! Please introduce yourself by stating your name, location, and which languages you know or are interested in.

My name is Julia and I live in Seattle, WA. I am an English teacher and also know Hungarian, Spanish, some German, some Italian, some Latin, some Korean, etc. I want to read each Harry Potter book in a different language and help others do the same. Have fun! :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 1 comments Oh my goodness, YES! I can't articulate how absolutely beyond awesome it is to find a group for multilingual Harry Potter! :D

Anyways, I'm Rachel. I am from Massachusetts, but if all goes well, this time next year, I will either be in Ohio or Wisconsin. I know Spanish quite well, and if you give me a dictionary, I can read German and French. I can also speak and understand some simple spoken German and French. I am trying to learn Hungarian, though it's a bit more of a challenge. Once I'm college, I plan on studying Chinese and Russian.

I've read the first Harry Potter in Spanish, and am working on the seventh.

message 3: by SAE HAN (new)

SAE HAN PARK (dubudubu) | 1 comments Oh! this is really great! Thanks for letting me know about this one, Julia :)

I am Sae han Park. My English name is Sean which I made when I was in the U.S. First of all, I almost finished my college life. I am going to work next month for sure. I will let you know about me later. :)

I have been studying English for a long time. However, it is still difficult to understand some phrases and lots of things. That's why I want to study more about English. My first language is Korean. I generally speak Korean as much as other Korean people.

Thanks Julia. And want to ask one question.
Do I need to read the Harry Potter book in Korean ?

message 4: by Julia (new)

Hi Saehan! I think you should read them in English and ask questions here if you have any - but if someone else is reading in Korean, you can help answer their questions. Maybe I will read one in Korean someday - what do you think? ;)

message 5: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 2 comments I am Laura and I currently live in Boulder, Colorado. I have all of the print HP books in the original British versions, the American versions, and the German versions. I also have the audiobooks for all three of those languages. I have listened to the audiobook for the first book in French, but I didn't like the narrator, so I don't have that one any more. I am currently trying to read the first book in Spanish. I would love to get the Spanish audiobooks, but they are too expensive. Since I know the books so well in English, reading them in Spanish isn't as difficult as I expected, given that I only had Spanish several centuries ago when I was in 9th grade. Someone complained on Amazon, though, that the Spanish translation is actually not that great.

I have been impressed with the German translation, in general. There are a few minor glitches here and there, but there is at least one joke that works better in German than in English and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Thanks for joining, Laura! Buena suerte with the Spanish version and thanks for your feedback on the others. I'm glad to hear you liked the German, since that's next on my list. If you have feedback on this group's site, please let me know!

message 7: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2 comments Hi all. My Anne's Ivan and I'm Brazilian. I'm learning English and I will be greatful to receive recommendations of books.

message 8: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2 comments I forget. My native language is Portuguese.

message 9: by Christian (new)

Christian (comeauch) | 2 comments I'm ALMOST getting sick of Harry Potter lol! I've read them all in French, in English, in German and I'm now at the third book in Japanese :P

I might very well end up reading them in Dutch as well, because look at those covers! http://alexsciuto.com/blog/wp-content...

message 10: by Julia (new)

Wow, Christian. I'm impressed. What series will you tackle next?

Christian wrote: "I'm ALMOST getting sick of Harry Potter lol! I've read them all in French, in English, in German and I'm now at the third book in Japanese :P

I might very well end up reading them in Dutch as wel..."

message 11: by Carola (last edited Nov 06, 2015 12:22AM) (new)

Carola (carola-) | 1 comments I found this group through Christian :)

My native language is Dutch, and besides that I know English, German and Japanese (and a tiny bit of Mandarin). My passive knowledge of German is pretty fluent, but my Japanese is definitely not ;-)

I've read Harry Potter in Dutch and English and started reading the first book in Japanese. I hope to continue reading it in either Japanese or German during Christmas break :)
I love to collect books and am buying the first book in the local language whenever I travel (i.e. Greek, French...) although I can't read most of it.

Btw, Christian, the original Dutch covers were quite pretty too :) http://oi52.tinypic.com/rv8wat.jpg although the new covers are downright awesome.

message 12: by Christian (new)

Christian (comeauch) | 2 comments Oh I love the idea of collecting the first book in different languages!

It reminded me of something: I also have the Estonian edition! ...Of which I read about 20 pages. Estonian was a language fling haha.

Despite having an English-Estonian dictionary + a Estonian-Estonian dictionary at hand + Internet, there were many words I couldn't find, or that I could only find in online Finnish dictionaries! The two languages are closely related, but still... I'm pretty sure that's when I realized Estonian was too much for me :)

HP: also breaking hearts!

That being said, looking at my mini-collection of Estonian books, I feel like maybe... someday...

message 13: by Uurtsaikh (new)

Uurtsaikh Boldbaatar (sarana154) | 1 comments Hi,
My name is Uurtsaikh, or Urke for short. I'm from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. My native language is Russian, because I learned it first before Mongolian. I've read Harry Potter in Russian first then in English. Absolutely loved it from the first time I opened the book and still do - now I'm reading many many fanfictions on HP. My favorite character is Severus Snape, despite his flaws. I'm interested in learning German, maybe someday soon I'll be reading HP in German