Spinward Fringe - The Official Group discussion

Rapid Fire Q&A [Spoilers May Happen!]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (last edited Dec 15, 2010 05:41PM) (new)

Randolph Lalonde | 125 comments Mod
Ask me (or someone else in the thread), anything. I mean anything. Be aware that, by asking a question you could become the target of a question too! Oh, and try to keep it PG-13...

message 2: by David (new)

David (mrwashingtoad) | 20 comments Mod
Quickie .... Isn't this what your editor warned you about being brought out of context? =)

Aside from that, question on Ashley: Will we be seeing her off-ship more in Broadcast 7 (aka *mini-spoiler* the Bikini scene *end mini-spoilder*)?

message 3: by Randolph (new)

David wrote: "Quickie .... Isn't this what your editor warned you about being brought out of context? =)

Aside from that, question on Ashley: Will we be seeing her off-ship more in Broadcast 7 (aka *mini-spoi..."

You're absolutely right! Thanks for pointing that out - the title of this topic has been changed from "Quickie Q&A" to "Rapid Fire Q&A".

To answer your question: The characters are facing the problem of not being able to go where they like to do what they like in Broadcast 7. Ashley, being a former slave and new born free spirit is one of the characters that bring this up. Will they have enough freedom to get some sun by the end of Broadcast 7? I'm not willing to answer that directly just yet. :)

All right, ready for the next question!

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan (allanb) | 5 comments Chris Bunch and Allan Cole wrote a series about Sten, an underdog becoming the overachieving warrior of the future. I liked that they put out recipes that the emperor had cooked throughout the series. Would you do something similar regarding some of Minh-Chu's conconctions, or any other character for that matter?

message 5: by Randolph (new)

To quote a character from Broadcast 7: "Space food is so boring."

The books took an unfortunate culinary turn for quite a while where they were eating a lot of materialized fodder or pre-concocted bars, imitation foods and other not so exciting stuff. Now that the characters will probably spend more time in port, some of the more interesting stuff will probably come out.

As for Jonas' favorite dish at Minh's old restaurant, look to lightly seasoned shrimp lo-mein that's actually 60% noodle, 30% vegetable and 10% vishri, which is a type of cloned shrimp that is fed a basic bacteria while it grows in vats. (Something else that finally comes up in Broadcast 7). Vishri is also part vegetable. Don't ask me how, just watch for products like it on the grocery shelves, I'm told it's not far off. Oh, and yes, the fact that Minh's lo mein dish is 60% noodle does indicate that much of his cooking was bent towards cutting costs as opposed to true nutritional value or culinary suave. Hey, it was originally a fast food stand, after all.

I could see other recipes coming up with the possibility that ingredients might become more readily available to the crew, and yes, eventually Minh will probably start cooking again.

Since the encyclopedia is a near inevitability at this point, I can't see why there couldn't be a recipe section. Sadly, that also means I'll have to figure out how to make a good banana and apple pie, ************'s favourite dish.

Now, back to writing Broadcast 7.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Because I have tendencies of wistfulness, will we get to see Alice again in some incarnation? I believe she's still out there somewhere. Sigh.

message 7: by Randolph (new)

There are a number of possibilities where Alice is concerned. She was software once, so you never know if she'll return or how it'll happen. Viruses are typically difficult to eradicate, after all.

Next?

RL

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

One more.... Who did the voice-over for the trailer? Which was incredibly well-done, by the way. I've kept it posted on my Facebook page for ages now.

message 9: by Randolph (new)

I did the voice over because both the vocal performers who were interested chickened out at the last minute. One of them was actually a local pro, who was astonished when I told him that it would probably be seen by people in the US.

Anyway...

There was a lot of background noise where it was recorded so it went through a lot of filters and I altered my voice on purpose so most people don't recognize it. I wanted it to sound more like Jonas than my mushy-mouthed self.

I'm really glad you like it, especially since it's a low-resolution test with a stand-in voice track. :)

(...and that was supposed to be my short answer???)

Next!

RL

(God this is fun...)

message 10: by David (new)

Possible spoilers: I want more info on Expansion Age, and the other ages in Timeline form if you have timeline available. Also, the *main* forces out there, Carthans, etc - any further info / mini-histories?

message 11: by Randolph (new)

The expansion period is something I'm on the fence about revealing in full flush, to be honest. I know there's a pretty good trilogy in there, the question I'm asking myself these days is if there's a story that hasn't been told already by someone else.

There is a really important bit about the first human explorers and how they separated from Earth in Broadcast 7 though.

The Carthans are a protectorate union. In exchange for political power of varying degrees they offer protection and emergency services using their growing military services. There is a long history behind them, dating back to the founding of Carthage, a capitol city that was named thusly in tribute to the ancient counterpart (founded roughly in 800BC). There's a lot of history to them, and I actually am going to be expanding on my notes.

Needless to say, I've created a monster. There are many single shot books that could sprout from the encyclopedia. Hell, with some work I could base four books on what's behind this entry, but my current cast of characters is keeping me a little busy.

Broadcast 7 has some of the answers you're looking for though. Sadly, that also means I can't expand much here....

message 12: by David (new)

Good enough for me! Bring on more books! :)

message 13: by Allan (new)

Allan Caplan | 4 comments Quickie:

Will there be any (more?) interactions with the reclusive people in the Sol system?

message 14: by Randolph (new)

You see, that's a difficult question.

If I say; "no comment" then I'm inferring that I'm hiding something.

If I respond positively, then I'm definitely spoiling something. Then again, if I just say 'no' I'd be lying. There are a lot of cool people on Earth, I should know, I'm a resident myself. It would be wrong to exclude them from the future.

I think I've said enough.

message 15: by David (new)

Spoiler warning: I can't wait to see what happens in Broadcast 7. (in an attempt to limit spoiler) What will happen when they find "Francis" contained near the medical conference room Ashley was in... How will "Francis"'s organization react to the cat being let out of the bag, items released, and secrecy broken?

message 16: by Zimra (new)

Zimra | 3 comments What piqued my interest was that one character was saving up currency to become a colonist. Following not her, but another character through the colonizing might make for an interesting side story.

To me there's always something very fascinating with the whole colonization of outer-space.

However, I'm very much looking forward to Broadcast 7.