Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you wear branded clothing?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Shirts that say Tommy Hilfiger, or GAP or whatever?

Even if I have to shop at one of those places, I always try to find the item of clothing that doesn't advertise something.

However, I will proudly advertise bands and sports teams.

How 'bout you?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
*writhes*

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
No, I generally don't advertise a clothing manufacturer on my chest. I prefer things without logos. But I do have a few logoed items, like an adidas t-shirt, a reebok t-shirt, an Eddie Bauer sweatshirt. Generally I bought those when I was in a hurry, needed to buy a t-shirt and get out of the store, and it was really cheap.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "*writhes*"

::applies poultice to Sally::

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I wear a lot of "Life is Good" stuff. Also, when I'm riding in cold weather I'm sporting UnderArmor, which has a logo on it. I also have some Pearl Izumi stuff, with "PI" right there for everyone to see.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I once got a pretty nice Carhartt jacket for free when I bought a Makita chop saw. The jacket had a Makita patch on the chest, which didn't bother me at all. But I remember there was one day I held the door open for an elderly woman at the bank, and she looked at me, squinted at the jacket, and then said, "Why thank you, Makita, such good manners..."

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I once got a pretty nice Carhartt jacket for free when I bought a Makita chop saw. The jacket had a Makita patch on the chest, which didn't bother me at all. But I remember there was one day I held..."

Awwww...I love old people.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I just can't stand the idea of having "Life is Good" written on my chest.

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments Most of my t-shirts don't have a brand labeled on them. I do have hoodies with sports teams on them. I have a pair of Uggs and I'm pretty sure the brand is visible on the back. I don't want to wear shirts that have the store name emblazoned across them. I prefer something prettier. ;)

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I forgot about baseball caps. Probably every baseball cap I've ever owned came with a logo on it--sports teams, NPR, public television, John Deere, etc.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

BunWat wrote: "(psst pi, wear, not were. unless we are werewolves?)

I'm wearing a carhartt hoodie right now, does that count? Although I bought it because it was the heaviest weight one in the store and I was..."

Pi must have started this thread and then gone to bed?

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have a life is good coffee mug. it is my travel mug and it is made of metal so I abuse the crap out of it.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments BunWat wrote: "I really like the thickness of the cotton in the Life is Good tshirts but I have huge problems with them getting stained really easily and then it doesn't wash out. But I still buy the hats."

Yes! What is with those stains?? I can't figure out what causes them, dang it.

message 14: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I have more MLB merchandise than I should really admit to having and I have nothing against a COACH purse or a really nice Mont Blanc pen. I guess it depends on what you find value in....if I could afford a nice Audi, BMW, or Mercedes I would probably have one of those.

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i never have been and will never be branded clothing, or is that not what you're asking?

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 16, 2010 03:15AM) (new)

Apart from my jeans that have the David Lawrence logo stitched onto the back pocket, I don't have any cloths with the brand or logo visible. I really don't like messages on my clothing.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i think most of my clothes have brand names or logos on them, but usually very small. i don't really care about brands and logos, i just want nice clothes.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sure i wear (were) branded clothes. not because i want to be cool with a logo on but because much of it is quality stuff. i am a carhartt guy because their gear is rugged and warm. under armour does what it says it is supposed to (wicking, warmth, etc). a lot of nike clothing is good quality. i don't buy aeropostle (or whatever it is called) or american eagle just to be cool. my current fashion is taking cheapo tee shirt and making a stencil with cardboard and spray painting stuff on them

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It's all about quality. Usually, but not always, if you pay more you get better quality. I would prefer they not have a label on them, because that sends a message about status-consciousness that I don't want to send. Status-consciousness wants to keep replacing things with the latest, while what I'm talking about is buying stuff that will last.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "*writhes*"

How do you accomplish anything with all the writhing you do? :-)

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "*writhes*"

Are you writhing about the "branding" bit or the "weres" as opposed to "wears" bit?

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now I'm writhing because she still hasn't fixed it. I think it is set there just to see how long I can writhe.

Well I'll tell you 28582, all day long.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What's the past tense of writhe? Is it "writhed" or "wrothe"... I think I prefer "wrothe" because it sounds sinister. :)

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sorry. I did indeed start the thread and go to bed, and I do know the difference between "wear" and "were." And any of the 173 moderators could have fixed it, but you all left it up there to teach me a lesson. Thanks.

;)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Incidentally, there were werewolves in my dream last night. I was trying to register for classes for my senior year of college, but it was hard to get around campus without getting attacked.

message 26: by janine (last edited Dec 16, 2010 07:41AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments that's because your subconscious knew you made sally writhe.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Werewolf attack seems like a rather extreme punishment for a typo. What would the punishment for armed robbery be?

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jonathan wrote: "Werewolf attack seems like a rather extreme punishment for a typo. What would the punishment for armed robbery be?"

Attack by phantom limbs.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments a rampaging octopus thrown on you

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

That rampaging octopus is ravaging that woman!

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments This subject comes up frequently in the art of the great 19th-century Japanese printmaker Hokusai, for instance in this scene "Diving Girl with Octopus":

The abalone diver Tamatori sacrifices her life to save the Emperor by cutting open her breast, where she hides the jewel she has stolen from the Sea-Dragon King in his underwater Dragon Palace. The Sea-Dragon King is accompanied by all nature of sea creatures, including octopuses. The dialogues between the two creatures and the diver express mutual sexual enjoyment (see Talerico 2001: 37, for a complete translation)". (p. 161 in 'Japanese Erotic Fantasies' by C. Uhlenbeck and M. Winkel)

"This illustration, of a woman with two octopuses, twin incubi, has lost none of his power to disturb (...) Despite the considerable amount that has been written about this work, all attempts to interpret and elucidate it end up by revealing more about the writer than about the original work. It remains one of those designs which require neither advocacy nor analysis in order to work its mysterious effect".

More here: http://www.akantiek.nl/hokusai%20p129...

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Sorry. I did indeed start the thread and go to bed, and I do know the difference between "wear" and "were." And any of the 173 moderators could have fixed it, but you all left it up there to teach ..."

I think the typos give our threads character... just being a glass is half-full thinker.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

BunWat wrote: "Sorry Pi, for some reason it didn't occur to me to fix it. Maybe felt hesitant about rewriting someone elses's word?"

HHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAH!

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Incidentally, there were werewolves in my dream last night. I was trying to register for classes for my senior year of college, but it was hard to get around campus without getting attacked."

Wearwolves.

message 36: by Jammies (new)

Jammies They're wolves. Their castle.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't wear wolves well at all.

message 38: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Clash with your (faux) mink stole?

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I never stole anything in my life.

message 40: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Apologies, Larry. I was thinking of another sock monkey I once knew. He had a fetish for faux mink.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Or was it a faux fetish for mink?

message 42: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 16, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Possibly. That monkey was a total poser.