Amazon Kindle discussion

Price Drop -- how long before a new release has a price drop?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I want to buy/read Changes by Jim Butcher, it was released in March/April 2010 and the next in the series (Ghost Story) will be released April 5, 2011. Changes is still $12.99 -- any guesses as to when the price will drop?

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am signed up but thank you. Love that website!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments the paperback is due out in march - so it could occur then. however, it is an agency pricing book which means penguin controls the pricing, not amazon, so they might decide to not lower the price

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yup, Dee that is what I was afraid of this endless waiting. I caved and bought it two nights ago. I guessed that even if it dropped, it would only drop to $9.99 -- not enough to wait 3+ months for a book in my favorite series. Thank you though.

The publishers need to re think this, but I guess with people like me buying anyway, they don't have to.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments lol...i don't do it very often for the more expensive books, but sometimes there is just that book you gotta have!

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) That is me .... usually. But I just love Harry Dresden and needed more of him!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments i've never read the books, but I keep hearing good thigns...maybe i'll need to pick up the 1st one

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The series is fantastic, strong UF. Just a warning, the first book is mediocre at best. I knew that going in and committed myself to the first 3 -- I was not dissapointed.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments ok thanks! i try to give any series, especially UF, at least 2 books before giving up ebcause I know the world-building takes a while (NOTE: successful thread hijack!)

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL. :) Good policy, you are much more generous than I am.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments i never used to, but there have been some series I have nearly given up on because I didn't like the first book and the second was much better...

as a case in point - one of my favorite genres is romance and I really like Carol Lynne who writes erotic romance...however, she has this bad habit of starting spin off series where the main couple are already together in the first book (which i hate) and if you haven't read her previous series you are completely lost...hence my policy

message 12: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Ahhhh, that makes sense. Good reasoning. I am going to check out that author, thanks for mentioning.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments haha - she writes M/M (should have said that!)

message 14: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Not a problem for me at all. :)

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewd2) Regina wrote: "Yup, Dee that is what I was afraid of this endless waiting. I caved and bought it two nights ago. I guessed that even if it dropped, it would only drop to $9.99 -- not enough to wait 3+ months fo..."

Sadly the only problem is that that's what the publishers want us to do. If people keep buying the books at the outrageous prices they'll never get lowered. The Dresden Files is my favorite book series and I resorted to the library for Changes and Side Jobs because I just can't give the publisher money at that price.

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I prefer to read on my Kindle so I am pretty weak that way if it is a preferred book and especially if it is a book that is more than 300 pages. I had both Small Favor and Turn Coat on my bedside table from the library and Side Jobs and Changes waiting for me on hold at the library, but in the end I just decided I wanted to read them on the Kindle and the $8 or so (total) in pricing above my typical line in the sand max ($6.99/7.99) was not worth holding out on a favorite series. Any other book, sure, just not this series. So I guess in a way the publishers have the market and American consumption figured out. But I still check out anyhere from 8-10 books from my library, so I don't buy everything. So the publishers don't win every battle. I also felt like I wanted Jim Butcher to get some money since I appreciate his work so much.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments i'm guessing where this is where i'm a bit weird when it comes to pricing books...having grown up in australia, book prices are out of control...case in point, I want to read Bryce Courtenay's new book - Fortune Cookie - his stuff has never been released in the US...the price for it in australia (since its a hardcover) is 48.95...yep...completely and utterly insane...but for me, that is why I don't protest when I see a 9.99 or 12.99 price tag on a book

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Great point Dee -- perspective makes a huge difference.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments The main issue for me on the higher prices initially (or forever) are that I like to buy a book and have it ready to read someday. I am extremely annoyed if by the time I am ready to read a Kindle title the price has dropped (annoyed at myself for not waiting)
With a hardback I bought and the price dropped on the bargain shelf, or I finally got my free turn at the library, or the PB was released, I can always rationalize that "I have the first edition" or that "the book is a collector's item". With a Kindle format purchase there is none of that.
So, I wait to buy in case the price drops and may even forget about some books. We all lose. ;(

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise (LouiseZ) | 13 comments @Ann, when a book comes out that I want to read but also want to wait until the price comes down, I download the free sample. I guess I'm really using my folder of samples as a wish list but that way I try not to forget about books that interest me. Maybe this will help you.

message 21: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I use my wishlist the same way!

If the price drops within a week of your buying a Kindle Book you can contact customer service to process a refund. I have done this ... a book that I bought on publication was free the following week, I got my $9.99 back.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise (LouiseZ) | 13 comments Thanks Stormhawk, I didn't know that.

message 23: by Lahni (new)

Lahni stormhawk wrote: "I use my wishlist the same way!

If the price drops within a week of your buying a Kindle Book you can contact customer service to process a refund. I have done this ... a book that I bought on pu..."

Wow, I didn't know you could do that! Thanks!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i'm guessing where this is where i'm a bit weird when it comes to pricing books...having grown up in australia, book prices are out of control...case in point, I want to read Bryce Courtenay's new ..."

If I ever vacation or live in Australia I will be sure to have a ton of books already on my Kindle. :) I would hate to pay almost 50 for a hard cover. I see 25 dollars for a HC and I cringe. I have a couple of authors I collect in paper but 50 dollars is enough to buy about 5-7 books on Kindle so... Not happening! Sadly paperbacks and ebooks are often released much later and take a long time to price drop if they ever do. Penguin/puffin and Harper/Harper Teen set their prices so Amazon can't offer great deals most of the time for them.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments its unfortuante but the truth...luckily for me the majority of the authors form there I like publish in the US, with the exception of Bryce Courtenay - I did find his books at bookdepository, but not any of his new releases

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments Louise: Good suggestion! I guess I could even make a collection called Buy Later for those. Thanks!!
Louise wrote: "@Ann, when a book comes out that I want to read but also want to wait until the price comes down, I download the free sample. I guess I'm really using my folder of samples as a wish list but that way I try not to forget about books that interest me. Maybe this will help you. "

message 27: by Chester (new)

Chester | 29 comments You don't have to worry about the price dropping on my mysteries. They're all $2.99 and that's as low as they'll go.

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise (LouiseZ) | 13 comments Ann, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that too.

message 29: by Ann (last edited Dec 22, 2010 02:02PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments Chester, - I am from Nashville too! I'll have to look up your books. (and thanks for the great prices!) ;)

Chester wrote: "You don't have to worry about the price dropping on my mysteries. They're all $2.99 and that's as low as they'll go."