Haruki Murakami fans discussion

Tips for a Murakami Newbie!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mcgregor | 1 comments Hi everyone :)

I've never read anything by Murakami, but I've decided that now is the time to start.

Any suggestions for the best one to start with?

Thanks!
Laurie

message 2: by Jochem (new)

Jochem Bootsma (Cheater_07) | 3 comments Hey Laurie (and everyone, I just registered here :) )

As a first Murakami I would recommend Sputnik Sweetheart or the collection of short stories called The Elephant Vanishes.

That's how I started and I'm glad I read these 2 first :)

message 3: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments I started with the short stories. It's a good introduction to Murakami. I read and loved Elepahant Vanishes, Blind Willow and Sleeping Woman and After the Quake

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Gillway (spireite) Laurie wrote: "Hi everyone :)

I've never read anything by Murakami, but I've decided that now is the time to start.

Thanks!

I would go for Norweigan Wood. It is the most straight-forward of his stories, or Kafka on the Shore
Laurie"

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 7 comments I'd recommend Wild Sheep Chase, which has a good mix of the normal and otherwise. Most people probably just recommend the first one they read, which I'm guilty of as well.

Laurie wrote: "Hi everyone :)

Thanks!
Laurie"

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick G | 45 comments Really you can't go wrong. A lot of people start with Wind Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore. I would say start with a novel though, then you can appreciate his short stories more.

message 7: by Sarai (new)

Sarai (chrysalis_stage) | 6 comments Hi Laurie, my first was Wild Sheep Chase but I'd personally recommend reading Kafka on the shore. To begin with one of his short story collections is also a very good idea, you can dip your toes in and see if you like his style without committing to a long read, I'd definitely recommend the collection titled The Elephant Vanishes, hope you enjoy!

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan | 9 comments My 1st was a wild sheep chase and that was enough to get me hooked and read the rest of his novels, but my absolute favorite is hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world. Murakami is amazing in that his work gives me a weird warm feeling that I never felt before. Hard to explain. The only one I wasnt too fond of was after dark... don't pick that one 1st.

message 9: by erik (new)

erik at booktunes (erikatbooktunes) | 34 comments I'd say go for 'A Wild Sheep Chase', that was the first one I read being recommended by my brother... kind of funny since he gave 'Wind up Bird Chronicles' as a present, but added 'A Wild Sheep Chase' to properly introduce Murakami.

Sputnik Sweetheart might be a good introduction too!

Enjoy.

message 10: by Meg (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:31AM) (new)

Meg | 4 comments I read Sputnik Sweetheart first as well! It actually really irritated me because I didn't understand it all. But that is the beauty of Murakami and why he gets into your head--there are multiple ideas going on at once and they are internal and very personal.

I would also recommend the short story collection Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman because I think short stories are a great way to get to know an author.

Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore are probably my two faves, but I have much more to read of this author!

Something that I love about him is his obsession with jazz and whiskey. Who can't love a man like that?

Happy Reading, Laurie!

message 11: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybird) | 2 comments My first one was Norwegian Wood. I've only read 3 so far but they have got better with each one. Norwegian Wood probably is an easy one to start with as it's the most 'normal' but I like Kafka on the Shore myself.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken | 2 comments Laurie wrote: "Hi everyone :)

Thanks!
Laurie"

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken | 2 comments I have read a few Murakami and my favorite is After the Quake, although each one has its own character and as a fan, you can't miss

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean (headspectre) | 1 comments I too read Wild Sheep Chase first. Although I loved Norwegian Wood, I suspect that if I had read it first, at the time long ago, I would not have gone further due to it relative normal-ness. I only just caught up with Kafka on the Shore but really enjoyed it. It's a good intro because it is both a true reflection of the poetic weirdness of Murakami, but also moves along at a very readable clip plot-wise.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 59 comments Laurie wrote: "Hi everyone :)

Thanks!
Laurie"

I second Jochem's recommendation. I had such a great time reading Sputnik Sweetheart. It's not the obvious book to start with (that would be Norweigan Wood or Wind Up Bird Chronicles) but for that reason, I would recommend you go with it.

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (rostce) | 3 comments Laurie wrote: "Hi everyone :)

Thanks!
Laurie"

Personally, I suggest you read a bit of his short stories first, 'Meeting the 100% girl' 'A poor aunt story' etc.
When you get hooked, you start reading his published works. I started with his memoir first, 'What I talk about when I talk about running' and then to the book that many consider as his "normal" novel 'Norwegian Wood'.
After that, 'Kafka on the Shore' or 'Wind up Bird Chronicle' would be a solid follow-up. And then you can simmer down with 'After Dark' or any short story by him thereafter.

I dunno, I just felt that leaving 'Kafka' and 'Wind up' as the main dish will help the reader understand and appreciate the metaphor and style of Murakami even more.

Cheers! Can't wait for 1q84. LOL

message 17: by vivliovision (new)

vivliovision | 2 comments :-) Lost in Murakami's Strange Realities? Here are two helpful newspaper articles: http://208.99.165.26/3811/article-1P1... International Herald Tribune n°40612, Oct. 22-23 || http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/mag... || 1Q84

message 18: by Grenador (new)

Grenador Hi guys I just read kafka on the shore...I heard IQ 84 is murakami's new novel. I'm in thought of buying it. Is it good or consider reading other books of murakami to get the feeling......