Georgia Authors discussion

Who is your favorite Georgia author? Why?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Joyce | 6 comments Mod
Let's start off the group by discovering our favorite Georgia authors. Whose book do you rush to buy as soon as it hits the bookshelves?

For me, I would say it is Terry Kay. Kay captures time, place and character so well. Also, there is a spiritual and lyrical quality to his writing. Terry Kay is a Georgia treasure.

message 2: by Suzanne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Suzanne (sdealfitzgerald) | 2 comments Ah, so many! I do like James Dickey. And Flannery O'Connor. And can I add Janisse Ray? Harry Crews?

message 3: by Tori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Tori My favorite is Pat Conroy.

message 4: by Joyce (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Joyce | 6 comments Mod
Pat Conroy and Terry Kay are first cousins. Their lyrical style is similar, but their life experiences were very different. Terry came from a very loving family with no problems. Pat's family was very dysfunctional.

Terry's background is journalism, which leads to a concise writing style.

Pat was an English major and teacher. He tends to write extremely long manuscripts (2400 pages) which have to be cut down by editors (to 800 pages).

Both are great men and as sweet as the day is long.

message 5: by Tori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Tori Do you have a favorite Terry Kay that you recommend starting with?

message 6: by Joyce (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Joyce | 6 comments Mod
A favorite Terry Kay to start with...

His current book The Book of Marie is great.

The best selections to get a feel for Terry Kay are:
To Dance with the White Dog and The Valley of Light.

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana (danahuff) I second Flannery O'Connor. What a great writing voice. She captures Georgia, in my opinion.

message 8: by Lailani (new)

Lailani | 1 comments I have enjoyed Ferrell Sams and Sue Monk Kidd . . . I will have to check out Terry Kay

message 9: by Leann (new)

Leann (thebibliotourist) Hello Group, I am Leann nice to meet all of you I just joined.

Favorite GA Author I have a few. Karen White (Atlanta), Patti Callahan Henry (Atlanta) Lauretta Hannon (Warner Robins). I am going to Karen White's book signing tomorrow for her recent book promotion.

message 10: by Craig (new)

Craig Amason | 1 comments Flannery O'Connor, most definitely (andalusiafarm.org)

message 11: by Dan (last edited May 20, 2011 12:02AM) (new)

Dan There have been so many great Georgia authors that it is hard to pick any one favorite. I mean Erskine Caldwell, Flannery O’Connor, Eugenia Price, and Alice Walker would have to top any list of Georgia writers simply for their literary power.

However, living in Augusta, my favorite is Frank Yerby. He wrote 33 novels and has the distinction of being the first African American to make more than a million dollars from his writing. If you like historical fiction, his earlier work is top notch entertainment. Many of his books were so well plotted they were made into movies. For the books set in the United States, I think he tried to rebut Margaret Mitchell while yet borrowing from her writing style in order to attain popularity.

I found some of his later more "literary" works to be extremely challenging, and did not manage to actually finish a single one, but I have not tried to read any of his works since I was an undergrad - 20 or so years ago. I wonder if they would still be that difficult.

message 12: by Dannye (new)

Dannye Dan wrote: "...my favorite is Frank Yerby."

I still have a hard copy (1959 edition) of Jarrett's Jade. It's been 50 years since I read it so I don't remember it that well. I kept it, however, and will likely read it again in the future.

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan The description of that book states the following:
"Set in Savannah, Georgia of 1736, this is a Colonial adventure. Arriving into this land is a Highland aristocrat named James Jarret from Scotland, proudly wearing his kilts and tartans. Jarret is determined to build a Southern dynasty, starting with an American wife, and he will use all his skill and bravery to find her and take her. A story that pits families against each other in war, even son against father as the story rolls into 1776."
That DOES sound like it would be a great read. I studied the role of the Scottish in Georgia in my Georgia History class last Fall. They were very close to the native Americans and often intermarried. Anyhow, what did you like best about that novel?

message 14: by Dannye (new)

Dannye Like I said, it's been close to 50 years since I read it. I just know that I was impressed enough to hang onto the book all these years!