iPad Books discussion

Library books on the iPad!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) I love blue fire reader and it's easy to use!

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (linnefaulk) I'll check this out. Hopefully my library has some books to lend.

message 3: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Thanks for posting this. It can be hard to find the good apps in iTunes. Our library just announced that they will be providing ebooks, so now I am ready when they are!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (linnefaulk) It took several days but I finally got a couple of books. There is not a lot to choose from but still enough for me.

message 5: by Shelley Barnow (new)

Shelley Barnow (ssuths) | 5 comments Yup it works!

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenfl) Could I get more specifics on how this works?

I have the Ipad 2, the Bluefire Reader app and the Overdrive app. I can get ePub books from my library with the Overdrive app but what about pdf books? I understand the Bluefire Reader can read pdfs but how do I use it to open pdf.books that I check out thru the Overdrive app? Overdrive had me authorize ADE so that step should be complete.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

message 7: by Bobbie (last edited May 16, 2011 04:17PM) (new)

Bobbie I use iBooks app and just email myself my books in ePub format that works best I think.
I open my email to myself from my iPad and when you open the attachment it asks you if you want to open in iBooks then it loads the book in ibooks

message 8: by Indigo (Aimee) (new)

Indigo (Aimee) (indigo73) | 3 comments How does Bluefire compare to OverDrive? I currently use the latter.

message 9: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Indigo (Aimee) wrote: "How does Bluefire compare to OverDrive? I currently use the latter."

Like you, I use OverDrive although I did install Bluefire. Bluefire looks to be very similar to OverDrive although it apparently handles PDFs which Overdrive does not. Neither of them appear to have an internal dictionary (which is what I was hoping for). Bluefire also seems to require that the book be loaded to your PC and linked over to your iPad (which is why I have stayed with Overdrive).

message 10: by Indigo (Aimee) (new)

Indigo (Aimee) (indigo73) | 3 comments Iris wrote: Like you, I use OverDrive although I did install Bluefire. Bluefire looks to be very similar to OverDr..."

Thanks Iris. I think I will stick to OverDrive. I have enough PDF Readers through other productivity apps that I don't need another one.

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara I've successfully uploaded books from my library using OverDrive (Adobe Digital) But the library is allowing only a "7 day loan period" to read each book.
Does anyone else get this same restriction?

New iPad owner question : )

message 12: by Indigo (Aimee) (new)

Indigo (Aimee) (indigo73) | 3 comments Kara wrote: "I've successfully uploaded books from my library using OverDrive (Adobe Digital) But the library is allowing only a "7 day loan period" to read each book.
Does anyone else get this same restriction..."

My library has a 14 day loan period... period. I get kinda bummed that I can't return e-books early because I often read them within a quarter to half that time.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenfl) Kara wrote: "I've successfully uploaded books from my library using OverDrive (Adobe Digital) But the library is allowing only a "7 day loan period" to read each book.
Does anyone else get this same restriction..."

Mine is set at 21 days and since I usually finish in much less time, I may reach my 20 checkout maximum. That would be a bummer!

I believe you can change this setting via Overdrive's webpage. I'm going to look into it.

message 14: by Kara (new)

Kara Thank you Karen. I just went directly to the Library download site and found the Lending Period Options. Changed it to 21 days.
Wish I had more time to read! ; )

message 15: by Katerina (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:44PM) (new)

Katerina Karen wrote: "Kara wrote: "I've successfully uploaded books from my library using OverDrive (Adobe Digital) But the library is allowing only a "7 day loan period" to read each book.
Does anyone else get this sam..."

Overdrive has updated their app. You can now turn in a book when you are done with it. That should help keep you under your limit. I use it. My library limits me to 10 books at a time.

message 16: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Bellatas (lylabellatas) WOW I had no idea!!!! Thank you I am downloading bluefire and overdrive NOW! Very cool!