Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Discovering New Authors

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I was wondering what the stories were behind the discovery of your favorite authors: reviews, hand-selling, recommendations from people you know, library check-outs, promotional free books, etc.

For example:

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Story: An employee in a bookstore who reads romance recommended Kenyon to me. My sister and I loved the first two books, and we've more or less been keeping up with the Dark-Hunter series since then.

Author: Nalini Singh
Story: Same employee as above recommended Nalini Singh as a new author. I remember her trying to explain the Psy system. Loved the first book. Still keep up with her Psy-Changeling series, as well as her Guild-Hunter one.

Author: Katie MacAlister
Story: Same employee (yeah, she sold a lot of books to my sister and me XD) as above recommended her contemporary romances as well as Aisling Grey series. Enjoyed those a lot. I even purchased a couple of her historical romances.

Author: Diana Gabaldon
Story: Was recommended by a family friend who had just learned that I read romance.

Author: Georgette Heyer
Story: First heard about her from an online acquaintance I used to know. She was listed as one of her favorite authors. I decided to check her out.

Author: Kay Stockham
Story: I had checked out His Son's Teacher from the digital library system. My sister liked it enough to ask me to check out the other books in the series/trilogy. I've checked out one of the books but the public library doesn't seem to have the others in the digital library system so I'll try to get it through a swap or purchase it used.

Author: Josh Lanyon
Story: I kept seeing his Adrien English mysteries pop up as a favorite m/m romance among the DearAuthor.com community. Having purchased Fair Game from one of their reviews and loving it, I took a chance with the Adrien English mysteries (was afraid of being disappointed after Fair Game). Now he's one of my favorite m/m romance authors.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Most of the time I find new authors when the cover catches my eye, but I have a few I found other ways.

Author: Richelle Mead
I have to pick up the VA series after hearing Sashana rave about it and I have to admit that it is completely addictive.

Author: Karen Marie Moning
The man who ownes the bookstore that I used to haunt recommended this series to me when I had literally read through every harlequin historical and most of the other historical romances in the store. He said that I should try them since they seemed to be very popular with his other customers.

Author: Rick Riordan
My cousin actually gave me the first book to read because he really enjoyed it and I was completely out of books. Needless to say I have now read the entire series and now take recommendations from 12 yr olds.

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
This series was recommended to me by the sales clerk at Books A Million. She noticed that I had already purchased all of the Dark Series and thought that I would enjoy that series as well.