Repello Muggletum: a Hogwarts Roleplay discussion

Marauder's Map (Classes) > Defense Against the Dark Arts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (last edited Dec 19, 2010 11:22AM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 477 comments Mod
This classroom is a full assortment of books, skeletons, fishtanks, and more. Professor Victrine, a young, energetic man, is quick-witted and can catch lazy students unaware, keeping everyone on their toes.

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Katherine skidded into class, using the momentum of her run to make a U turn and slide into her desk. Wisps of blonde hair fell into her eyes as she quited her panting, since running to her room to grab her forgotten text book, she had leapt down the stairs two at a time and traumatized the portrait in the Gryffindor's entrance. She opened up her notebook obdiently, crossing her boots and adjusting her robes.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 8158 comments Mod
A just barely on-time Gryffindor had just skidded into the room, which caused a few heads to turn, one of which included Maybelle Thomson's. She cast a sympathetic smile, feeling sorry for her as the frenzied look still graced the girl's face.

"You all right?" she murmured.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) A small giggle escaped her mouth before she clenched her teeth and stiffled it. She nodded with a grin at the girl, quickly pulling the hair away from her face and placing some books for other periods under her desk. "All good, all good." She replied in a low tone a voice. The class had just barely started, the first two letters of today's subject written on the board. Scrawling down the date and period in her note book, she looked at the teacher with wide eyes as if to say 'carry on'.

A slightly confused look crossed Maybelle, but she shrugged it off and she turned back to her notes. Hopefully they wouldn't be practicing any spells against one another. She'd make a fool of herself again. But at least she wasn't as bad as a few others in her class.

message 6: by Kat (last edited Oct 12, 2011 10:36AM) (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Despite Katherine's hasty habits, she was an eager and attentative student. She worked hard but was a bit of a procrastinator at the subject of homework. But she was always perfecting her techniques. Proffessor Blanch continued with his lesson, starting the lesson with a few basicfacts about boggarts while printing key words on the board.

((It should be the boggart lesson. XD))

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) ((Teehee. Well, I don't really know what I'm blabbing about. It can be!))

((It should be. :3 Then Maybelle can freak out and it will amuse me.))

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) ((Okay.))

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) ((I edited.))

((I thought I posted but apparently not. I'll reply when I get home))

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) ((Okies))

The thought of a boggart being presented to the class terrified Maybelle, but she dare not show it on her face, and instead continued to take her scribbled notes. As their professor began to explain the procedure, a fleck of anxiety sprouted for the potential embarrassment it might bring.

"All right then," began Professor Victrine. "I want everyone in a single file line. Calmly and carefully."

Students excitedly rose to their feet, brushing past one another and trying to get as close to the front of the line as possible. Maybelle found herself being pushed towards the middle of the line. Perhaps they'd run out of time before it came to her.

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) The blond-haired girl now stood in front of Maybelle, craning her neck and peering above the tops of heads to get a glimpse of what was happening. Standing on the tips of her dark, fake leather boots with bright, awake and eager eyes. She was giddy to get her hands on one of 'em little creatures. The wizard world excited her, it excited her since her first year and probably would until her last.

The line was moving quickly--not a good sign. Maybelle clutched her wand tightly in her right hand, peeking out from the side of the line. Fears turned into hilarious apparitions which caused laughter to erupt from students. But that didn't quite reassure her, because she couldn't quite pinpoint what she was scared of--which was something to be afraid of in and of itself.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) As feet shuffled forward, Kat rolled down off her toes, the kitten heel of her boot landing back on the ground. An excited grin played on her face and she glanced at Maybelle. "What are you most afraid of?" She asked lightheartedly, a little playful shiver as she thought of her fear. But she could just imagine what it would be turned in too.

"Um. . . I'm not sure," Maybelle answered, a sheepish grin turning up the corners of her lips. And she wasn't quite sure she wanted to find out. "And, er, what about you?"

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) "It used to be spiders. But I think it's more of snakes now. They just creep me out, how can something move if it has no legs!" She knew of course it was because of the spinal cord and such, but she still had a grimace on her face.

"Well, fish don't have legs," Maybelle pointed out with a half-hearted smile. They were nearing the front of the line, and she was dreading every moment. Defense Against the Dark Arts had never once been her strong suit

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) "But fish are using water displacement and forward motion cause-and effect." She explained, "Snakes are in the density of air, a density that is not able to replicate that effect." The kid in front of them mumbled 'ridiculos' at the burgurlar coming closer to him. Terrified, he said it a bit louder. The burgurlar turned into a hot dog stand owner, and she giggled a little.

((Riddikulus*))

"Well, I think your up next." Such odd words. Probably a Muggle-born who went through a Muggle school. Maybelle shrugged off the matter quickly, and her grip tightened even more, her fingernails digging into the palm of her hand.

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) ((Whoops))

Kat approached the chest, steading her grip on her wand and standing in a ready position. She wore a confident smile but her heart fluttered a little with anticipation and nervousness. A giant snake slithered out of the wardrobe, rasing it's head and flashing it's terrifying fangs. She faltered, furrowing her eyebrows. But then, picking up right where she left off she felt her hand go up, then she spoke the word aloud. "Riddikulus!" She proclaimed, and to her satisfaction the snake promptly turned into a blue balloon animal. She grinned in triumph, retreating to the sidelines to observe.

Her breath was caught in her throat as Maybelle stepped forward. The boggart seemed to contemplate what exactly to transform into as it floated as a blue balloon for a few moments before shifting onto the ground. First uncovered was a hand--bloodied, no less--followed by the rest of a young man whose Healer clothes were encrusted with seemingly not-quite-dry blood.

That was not what quite terrified Maybelle. It was the young man's face, which resembled that of her older brother. A few students gasped at what they saw, and the professor said a few words which Maybelle could not quite comprehend. Her mouth was half open, as if she were about to utter the spell, but could not quite remember as horror struck her face.

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Frowning in confusion, she cast a worried glance at Maybelle. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... She thought to herself, muscles tensing. She itched to cast the spell herself, to get rid of the horrible thing. The look on the newly- accompanied girl's face made her heart ache. She cleared her throat, becoming more and more sure that she should cast the spell.

The boy behind her--someone from her house, as she recognized the voice--muttered the spell in her ear, which she presumed to mutter herself, though to no avail. The dead apparition of a boy was still there.

Professor Victrine stepped out then, aiding Maybelle by reciting the spell for her. "Would you like a moment, Ms. Thompson?" All playfulness was gone, and Maybelle nodded, walking slowly from the room, lips pressed together, cheeks a bright cherry red.

message 27: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Kat quietly slipped into the gathering crowd, waiting until the professor's gaze was averted to follow Maybelle hastily but quietly. Once she was out in the corridor, her brows furrowed and she peered at the girl. She was about to ask her if she was alright, but she stopped herself. Knowing that whenever she was upset, it was never alright. Or okay.

"Hey, not everyone gets it the first time, right?" She offered, trying to brighten her mood but with a weak and quiet sigh at her own pathetic attempts. She didn't want to bring up the boy, but she was curious.

She'd burst into tears upon shutting the door behind her, and the appearance of the Gryffindor girl brought no comfort. Quickly mopping up her tears with her sleeve, she shrugged off the matter, cheeks having yet to return to normal.

"I'm the only one," Maybelle answered, lips pursed in a hard line.

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) "Hey- Don't get down on yourself. I'm terrible at Charms, it takes me like five hundred times. Also, that was pretty scary." She protested genuinely. She pulled a pack of tissues out of her robe, an odd thing to carry, and held it out to her. "Failing is just a part of life, but it's the only way you'll know if it works. Failing is part of success. The only thing you would be ashamed of would be not trying, but you did."

"I don't need them," she muttered, shaking her head at the tissues. "I'm fine. It was just a boggart." Maybelle sighed. Yes, failing was a part of life, and she knew that. But her house held that record for constantly being last, and she wanted to change that. Being scared off by a boggart was not how to do so.

message 31: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Tucking them away, she shrugged. "Boggarts can be pretty challenging. You think it's no big deal, but when you get up there it's a lot more than you'd think. It's like building a boat- ermm..." Wrong metaphor. She had remembered an experiment in the fifth grade with clay and water, but that wouldn't make any logical sense to Maybelle.

"Obviously they're not that challenging, since it's taught to third years," Maybelle sighed. "Anyways. We should get back inside." This girl had odd metaphors. But, Maybelle assumed, it was probably because she was still thinking in Muggle terms.

message 33: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) "Hey- don't diss the third year. You're just entering your teens, it's a great time to learn more. And you gotta have the basics before excelling, right?" She replied, before slipping back into the classroom which was almost finishing the boggart experience.

"I guess. . ." Maybelle shrugged and followed her fellow classmate back into the room where the last few students were practicing spells. She slowly returned to her seat as the last of the students rid themselves of the boggart.

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Kat returned to her notebook, doodling stars and moons as she day dreamed about Astronmy. She spent so much time thinking about the night sky, anyway.

((Fade?))

((Sure))

message 37: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) Sam walked into the room with an energetic, happy smile on his face. His new friend had really made him very excitable... strange, he was never this happy. He normally preferred the books to this.

message 38: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (new)

Atalanta slid into class behind him, beating the bell by a hair. She chose a seat near Sam, closer to the front than she normally would have been. But, no matter, she had a friend in this class now.

message 39: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) Victrine walked into the class from the stairs that led to his office. "Good evening class!" he shouted energetically.

message 40: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (last edited Nov 22, 2011 07:18PM) (new)

"Good evening, professor!" Atalanta called out, already liking this teacher. He seemed very capable, at least for now. Atalanta pulled out her textbook, sliding it onto her desk and pulling out a quill and ink as well. As an afterthought, she also pulled out her wand. Last year's teacher had been more about theory than practical uses.

message 41: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) Sam took out his spellbook, inkwell, and small quill. He saw Atalanta take out her wand and thought it a wonderful idea. He placed his on his desk next to his quill.

"Today we shall learn two element spells that can counteract each other mostly," Victrine said. "We shall learn the Glacius charm and the Incendus Spell. Observe... Incendio! "

A piece of wood on the table in front of them burst into flames. " Glacius! " snowflakes and ice burst forth from the wand and put out the fire.

"Now try it out on these," he floated wooden blocks over to them. "Try not to burn the school down..."

message 42: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (new)

Atalanta grabbed the block with her hand, setting it down on the table in front of them. "You want to go first?" she asked, moving her books and quill out of the way.

message 43: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) "Come on, I'm not that bad of a shot..." he said. " Incendio! "

A small black mark appeared on the wooden block, but it didn't start on fire.

message 44: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (new)

Atalanta added her spell to the block, in the same spot Sam had tried. With the added effort of a witch and a wizard, the block began to fizzle and spark. All of a sudden, it burst into flames, making Atalanta jerk back in surprise and cutting off the flow of her spell.

"Woah. Nice teamwork!"

[Bedtime for me. G'night!]

message 45: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) ((G'Night!))

" Glacius! " the spell came out too fast and instead of just freezing it to put it out, the block had a snowdrift on it.

message 46: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) ...

message 47: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (new)

[I'm back. For real, now. Sorry, I got caught up in NaNoWriMo, but it's finished now.]

message 48: by Maggie, Disapparition is my middle name. (new)

Atalanta laughed and brushed off some snow that had drifted onto her hair. "Nice save. I certainly don't have reflexes like that, when it comes to freezing wooden blocks," she teased, sucking the rest of the snow off the block with a quick "Tergeo".

message 49: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) ((I was too, but I finished mine so I'm all good now too.))

message 50: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) Magdalena (Maggie) wrote: "Atalanta laughed and brushed off some snow that had drifted onto her hair. "Nice save. I certainly don't have reflexes like that, when it comes to freezing wooden blocks," she teased, sucking the..."

"Thanks..." he said with a quick laugh. "I think I need to practice these a bit more..."

« previous 1 3