Book Club discussion

Literary Fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thea (last edited Dec 14, 2010 04:18PM) (new)

Thea Atkinson (theaatkinson) | 16 comments Found this topic but couldn't find litfic so I posted my own.

Do you write literary fiction? Post it.

One Insular Tahiti
The Secret Language of Crows
Anomaly

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Roebuck (sueroe) | 61 comments Apparently I write "light literary" fiction (according to one review!
Perfect Score

message 3: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 95 comments I've never understood what literary fiction is. Someone once mentioned my erotic short story Control Freak had a literary fiction flavor to it. Had no idea what he meant though. I read commercial fiction (whatever that is), so not sure how I'd get a literary influence in my work.

message 4: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson (theaatkinson) | 16 comments literary fiction has a heavy emphasis on the writing being higher end, lyrical, metaphor driven (for example), and the stories are more character driven than plot driven. if that helps. grin

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Roebuck (sueroe) | 61 comments Reena - I was as confused as you, but I think Thea has the right answer. Phew! Literary fiction? Moi?

Thanks Thea.

message 6: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 95 comments Well Control Freak is character driven. I don't know about the high-end writing, but I'd like to think it is. :) So I'll add it here.

There's a coupon good for 100% off at Smashwords: ZT28F [exp 12/22/2010] for those looking for a financially risk-free read with a small time investment (about 12 pages).

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 131 comments Characters are more fun the plot at times to write

message 8: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson (theaatkinson) | 16 comments no worries folks. I'd have written a more 'writerly' description but I was running short of time. glad to see you all here

message 9: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson (theaatkinson) | 16 comments Actually, I found a really cool link to a blog that describes litfic in detail. check it out.

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/...

One Insular Tahiti

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Roebuck (sueroe) | 61 comments Well I like the thought of "commercial literary fiction" Thea. But Nathan's definition is pretty good. Literary fiction does not have to be "boring" and it has to be plotted out as well as any genre fiction. And I'm pleased it's not defined as "flowery prose that goes nowhere and above most people's intelligence".

Actually I like your definition best, Thea.

message 11: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 6 comments I liked the Bransford blog post that Thea put up; it offered elements to look for when reading--and writing. Based on most of his comments, I'm pretty certain my contemporary novel, Blood and Bond is literary, with the protagonist finding his solution in the active ending.

It's interesting how this topic keeps surfacing on blogs and forums. Probably because there's no cut-and-dried answer.

message 12: by Marius (last edited Sep 07, 2012 01:20PM) (new)

Marius Hancu | 9 comments Earthly Powers by Burgess
is an amazing example. Great style and power.

message 13: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Witten (suzywitten) | 8 comments New from AMAZON "Author Rank" for Suzy Witten

Historical Fiction -- 1,664
Horror -- 1,433
Literary Fiction -- 1,730
All Fiction -- 18,419
All Books -- 119,418

"Something terrible happened in Salem Village in 1692 ... but it isn't what you think!"

2010 IPPY Silver Medal for Historical Fiction
The Afflicted Girls by Suzy Witten
The Afflicted Girls