Book Club - Paris discussion

Random > January Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (myunng) | 65 comments Mod
Hey everyone,

Time to decide for the new book.

I know there's the To-read shelf for that, but there are a lot of books in there, and I'm sure not all of them interest all of you.

So, instead of me picking randomly half a dozen books from the shelf, I suggest, as we discussed during the last meeting, that those of you who are interested post in this thread the books they'd like to read. Let's limit it to 2 books per person. And then we'll take a poll as usual, once "everyone" has put their two books.

What d'you guys think ?

Anne

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 10 comments Hi Anne

This is a good idea! So before I forget, my two books are

The Glass Room, Simon Mawer
Bullet Park, John Cheever

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rachael

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 13 comments Hello everyone,

I was quite annoyed that I wasn't able join you at the previous meetings -- I look forward to meeting you all in January. My choice of books is:

1. Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese; and
2. Alone in Berlin, by Hans Fallada.

Have a wonderful Christmas and new year.

Nadia

message 4: by Nawal (new)

Nawal | 17 comments Hello everyone,

Hope everybody is well.

My choice of books is:
1.The corrections,by Jonathan Franzen;
2.Yellow Dog,by Amis Martin.

Happy Holidays!

Nawal

message 5: by Frizzi (new)

Frizzi | 60 comments Mod
Hey you,

My suggestions:
1. Nick Hornby: High Fidelity
2. Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (even though - rather because I have already read it)

Merry Christmas and enjoy you vacation
Frizzi

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments three good authors with new books:

Freedom: Johnathan Franzen

Michael Cunninham's new book

or

Nicole Krauss's new book

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsv) | 96 comments Mod
Bill Bryson: At Home
Tatiana de Rosnay: Sarah's Key

Have a great holiday everyone and see you in January!

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 1 comments Hello,

I just joined and I am really looking forward to my first book club meeting!

Here are my 2 suggestions:
I know this much is true by Wally Lamb
Absalom! Absalom! by Faulkner

Happy holiday everyone!

message 9: by LauraJane (new)

LauraJane | 5 comments Hi everyone,

Here are my suggestions:
Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard - Kiran Desai

Look forward to meeting up!
Happy New Year to everyone!

Laura

message 10: by Aurélie (new)

Aurélie | 6 comments Hello tutti,

My first comment and my first everything, actually.

My suggestions for the January book :
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Have fun for New Year's Eve !

Aurélie

message 11: by Anne (new)

Great, there is a lot of choice :)

Book Choice

Date Choice

I selected dates in February, so that we're sure everyone has time to get the book and read the book.

Happy New Year everyone !

message 12: by Anne (new)

That goes without saying but feel free to vote for as many books as you want.

message 13: by Anne (last edited Jan 08, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Polls closed !

Book : the Glass Room by Simon Mawer
Date : Feb 9

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Thanks Anne for your work for the group. This book sounds interesting. I am always interested in this question. Another book i read recently that was wonderful on this subject is 'Suite Francaise' by Irene Nemerovski. I highly recommend it to everyone. It is about life in France during the occupation for a Jew.

I hope the location for the meeting this time can be someplace more central. Last time the location was so far from me and the transport required a transfer, whine, ... My recommendation is Bert's near the swimming pool at Les Halles. It's also near Starbuck's and the UGC cimema. After you are in Les Halles if you just ask directions to the swimming pool it is easy to find. Also lots of transport lines go there. But anything more central will be ok with me. Happy reading bookophiles, Kathleen

message 15: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments Just finished Glass Room. Was not sure I was going to like it. but i have to say it really was fantastic. could not put it down.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments thanks Marcia for your comment and for not revealing too much. Where did you find your copy?

message 17: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments I have the sony e reader and i downloaded it cost 11.96 dollars The Glass Room

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments so cool. Will you bring it to the meeting? I would love to have a look and a feel of it.

Ciao for now,
Kathleen

message 19: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments No problem. Is the meeting place been decided yet?

message 20: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments FYI JUST WENT INTO SONY READER BOOKSTORE TODAY THERE ARE 135 FREE EBOOKS TO DOWN LOAD I JUST GOT 25 ENJOY EVERYONE

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Hi Folks,

I just ordered the book from the Village Voice Bookshop and when i told them it was for a reading group he ordered a few extras for us. I like to buy from this marvelous and independant bookshop. Metro Mabillion or st. Germain des Pres. Rue Princess, very little street not easy to find. Tonight they are having a reading event. ... ... the book wont be in till Tues but Maria says it's unputdownable so i figure one week is enough to read it and it will be fresh for the discussion. Here's hoping the location can be central this time. Who decides this? My phone is 01.43.31.15.65 to discuss this. Thanks all, Kathleen

message 22: by Anne (new)

Yes Kathleen, we got it, you want it to be more central ;)

message 23: by Jigna (new)

Jigna | 17 comments Hi I'm new to the group. Have you chosen your February book yet?

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Yes, it's The Glass Room by Simon Mawr.

To be discussed Feb 9 but the location for the discussion hasn't been decided. The Village Voice Bookshop on Rue Princess has ordered some books for us ... they will be there Tues which is cutting it close to have it read by the 9th but according to Maria in the group it is unputdownable so i hope i can get the book Tues and finish it. Happy to have you Jigna,

Kathleen

message 25: by Jigna (new)

Jigna | 17 comments I'll try to grab it for the next meeting!

message 26: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments has location for meeting been decided for feb 9th?

message 27: by Anne (new)

I won't be there this meeting. I haven't started the book yet and don't really want to.

You guys decide where you want to meet.

Have fun :)

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments I am loving this book. Im about 150 pgs in and should have no trouble finishing. I can see why it was shortlisted for the Booker Man Prize.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a place to meet? My suggestion as i've said before is the Cafe Bert's i believe it is. It's on the lower level of Les Halles. Between the UGC ticket caisse and the swimming pool. If you have trouble finding it ask someone directions to the swimming pool. They have many tables and couches. You are not required to buy anything. Seems to be a lounging area for people waiting for their movie to start. There seems to be an agreement between the cafe and the cinema because they let you go into the cinema area for the toilette if you have a receipt from the cafe. There are usually plenty of places but if it is just before a movie is starting it can be crowded. If someone else has a suggestion of someplace that will let us meet there, great. my phones in case you want to brainstorm about this: 0l.43.3l.l5.65 or 06.85.70.54.26

message 29: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments les halles is not the best place in the evening i would prefer someplace in the first or second arondisement there is a great cafe right across from hotel louvre might be able to get a table up on second floor right across from metro

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Ok, will you ck on it?

message 31: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments How many people show up for the meeting?

message 32: by Jigna (new)

Jigna | 17 comments Okay started it Friday and I'm already 230 pages in. I think I should definitely be able to make it on the 9th!

message 33: by Lili (new)

Lili Snyder | 11 comments Hi guys! I'm new to the group, but I'd love to join. I'm just about done with the Glass Room, and I'm looking forward to Wednesday. I don't really have any bright suggestions as to where to meet, anywhere works for me! À Wednesday!

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Hi Folks,

I talked to Marcia earlier and she suggests a loung room in the hotel where she stays when she is overnighting in Paris which she should do for the book discussion because she lives too far outside to get home easily. It's at the metro stope Louve on the Line one. She will be posting the more precise directions later. I am also a bit more than half way through the book. Barring unforseen problems, should finish it. Till soon. Kathleen

message 35: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments Hotel Montpensier 12 Rue De Richelieu 1st Arondisemont metro ligne 1 stop Louvre meeting Feb 9th 8 PM Ask for Marcia Stauber in Lobby

Please Post if you are coming so I can expect the number of people coming

thank you

message 36: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments any questions re meeting you can call me 0344573893

message 37: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (books-whatelse) | 2 comments Hi, everyone!
I'll be there too! I loved the book and am looking forward to meeting you! Natalie

message 38: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 10 comments Hi, I'll be there on Wednesday!

message 39: by Frizzi (new)

Frizzi | 60 comments Mod
I'll come, as well.

Just a thought:
Anne has been pretty quiet recently. Are you in ?

Well, during our last meeting, we proposed to talk about the coming book selection during the very meeting in person. So, it might me an opportunity tomorrow night to come with some suggestions (and maybe also two or three sentences as summary of what the book is about). That way we can discuss preferences and we'll have enough time to get the book and get started.

What do you think about it ?

See you tomorrow !

message 40: by Aurélie (new)

Aurélie | 6 comments Hello everyone,

I will be there too tomorrow.

Thank your for finding such a nice place for our meeting, Marcia.

See you tomorrow!
Aurélie

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments I like your idea Frizzi. I hope we can choose the book for next time tomorrow night. Then we could meet again sooner. Anne posted a message a few days ago that she has not read the book and doesnt want to and will not join us this time.

Yes, tomorrow if each person wants to suggest a book for next time and tell us a bit ... maybe bring a review of it. Then we can decide for next time. Marcia says she will have her laptop and there is wifi so we can even google a review if we want to if you dont have time to print out a review. It seems we may or may not be able to have a coffee there so try not to be hungry or thirsty. Maybe bring some water in your bag. Marcia also says this hotel owner has another hotel with a lounge that does serve drinks to tell us about tomorrow night.
Till tomorrow.
Kathleen

message 42: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (liney) | 22 comments Hi all,

I'm new to the group and am planning on being there tomorrow evening. Looking forward to meeting you all and discussing the book!

Caroline

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments I already know my suggestion for next book:

By Nightfall
by Michael Cunningham, Author of The Hours

I could also vote for:

Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

message 44: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 1 comments Hi all, i am new to the group, we be joining this evening
See you all there,
Cheers, gwen

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments A reminder:
This book has been ordered for us at the independant bookshop:

The Village Voice on Rue Princess Metros:

St. Germain des Pres and Mabillion

Are we just about contemporary fiction? Or can we entertain the idea of a Classic? I am thinking of one of the Russian Classics by the translating team of Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. They live in Paris. I heard them at the American Library. Maybe they could be invited to our meeting if we discuss one of their books. Thoughts tonight, Kathleen

message 46: by Jigna (new)

Jigna | 17 comments I'll be there tonight!

message 47: by Anne (new)

Hi all,

I'm glad you found a way of organizing tonight's meeting.

I am very sorry on the other hand that the fact that I will not be able to attend tonight has automatically cancelled my right to vote for the next book. That totally blows and as moderator of the group I object to this :P

You guys can discuss prospective books but it's best if you don't decide right away.

Thx and have fun.

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments What a great meeting we had. Since my college days studying literature i have found no substitute except for this kind of group dicussion about books. Thank you all for coming and your brilliant kind and erudite comments. For the ones who couldn't make it tonight we had about 15 people in attendance. Maybe more. We decided not to decide the book for next time because we liked the way it was done last time.

General concensus was that we like the book very much and would recommend it to others.(Thanks Rachel for selecting it) but it was not perfect. We can see why it was nominated for the Booker but also why it did not win.

What do you all think about exchanging individual emails?
Mine: katdivenice@gmail.com

Thanks again to you all, it was great. I hope we didn't disturb anyone at the hotel so we can meet there again.

message 49: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Stauber (parismarcia) | 30 comments anne as far as i know no book as been decided: i thought we had decided to present 2 books each for nomination and vote at least that was what i thought but i certainly think that you are the moderator and you are in charge and we were only holding the meeting in your absence

message 50: by Nadia (last edited Feb 12, 2011 02:53AM) (new)

Nadia | 13 comments I personally see no reason why absence from a meeting should not permit one to vote for the next book.. Would anyone mind if we change this rule?

Anyway, it was a real pleasure to meet you all at wednesday's meeting...and am looking forward to the next one.

Here are my suggestions for the next poll:

Sotah by Naomi Ragen
The Way I found her by Rose Tremain

A bientot,

Nadia

« previous 1