Chicks On Lit discussion

Just for Fun > Owners of Sony Readers, come in.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments DH got me a Sony Reader for my birthday last month. I'm not sure of the model as I threw away the box and it comes with very little info, but it's pink and does not have a touch screen (if any of that matters). I have been doing a little research on where the best places are to buy books and what formats it reads, but there is so much info out there that my mind is thoroughly boggled. Can anyone offer any advice or insight on how to best use and enjoy my new toy? Thanks so much!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Feedbooks might have books for your Sony reader. Plus go to the main groups page and search for "Sony Reader" and it'll pull up any and all forum comments ever made about it. I did that when I got my IPad and it was helpful. Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

message 3: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments I have Sony PRS660 touchscreen. It reads almost anything which is downloaded except for HTML format. As I am a resident Indian, I cannot afford ebooks which sell in dollars and I do best by downloading free ebooks which are out of copy right. I love my Sony, only disappointment is that the battery doesnot last as long as they claim. Mine lasts for a couple of days at the most, irrespective of usage

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Thanks Leslie and Smitha.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments You can convert non-DRM ebooks from HTML (or almost any other file type) to Epub (or any other) using Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/ (It's free)

You should price books, too at some of the independent ebook sellers. I have a Nook and bought War and Peace through BooksaMillion and it was $3 cheaper than B & N. You can also try Kobobooks. They frequently have coupons for 20-30% off. Go to http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/ and they list a lot of the free books and coupons. I think once the Sony bookstore had a gift card at 20% discount ($50 card for $40) at Target- that was listed at booksontheknob. I think you can also order through Borders as most of their titles are epub of PDF.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 92 comments When I had my sony ereader, I primarily used google books for the classics and purchased the rest of my books directly from sony. You might also look at the "Library Finder" on their ebook home page to see if there is a public library in your area that lends ebooks. I found that 80% of the books were the same as Amazon, but 20% were more. I am very fortunate that my dad would give me very generous gift cards for the sony bookstore, and I used the gift cards for the more expensive books I had my eye on.