Q&A with Elisa Paige discussion

What's your favorite way to spend a cold winter day?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Paige | 4 comments Mod
Easy! Bundled up with my sweet girl in front of a fire, a purring cat (or two) snuggled up next to us, hot chocolate by my elbow, and an awesome book to read.

Right now, I'm reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, a wonderfully written book that happens to have won the Pulitzer. And I'm counting the days until a totally different kind of book, Shadowfever (Karen Marie Moning), is released.

How do you like to spend chilly days?

message 2: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Barnes (jbdemeter11) | 1 comments Ah, memory. I spent high school and most of college in Colorado, where I loved walking or riding my horses bareback through snowy woods, hills, fields.

Depending on how cold the cold is, yes? I still love long walks in lovely places, and unlike others in my adopted South, I am not at all easy to chill.

Nowadays, much wiser, I might just tuck in and savor, re-read, write some of my own. There's still a big stack of learned tomes to get through--and not near enough time to read purely for fun!

I can just about hear somebody asking me what happens when you rub two Cajuns together. . . . . . ;])

(Those who wish to discover the same information concerning a dirt-poor rebel New Englander and a very courageous, genteel lady can read my novel to find out. . . . . .)

Here's luck.

Jeannette

message 3: by Elisa (new)

I love the way the fresh snow blankets sound. Many years ago, while living in Virginia, I enjoyed riding on a snowy day, too. The way the cold fogged the horse's breath and the snow squeaked under his hooves. When I'd finally go inside the house, my mom would have hot chocolate and cinnamon toast waiting for me. Which was the perfect time to park myself (with the aforementioned furry felines) in front of a fire with a great book.

In the interest of clarity, hubby (having read over my shoulder) insists that I explain that the book about Teddy Roosevelt has been sitting in my "must read" pile and I've not made it past the first chapter. NOT because it's slow-slogging, but because of extremely limited time on my part.

I feel ever so unburdened now!

What's in your "to read" stack? And how many books?

- Elisa

message 4: by Elisa (new)

Although my eight-year-old daughter has always enjoyed books, it's been a casual thing for her -- not at all the obsession it is for her mom. But about a week ago, I gave her the first book in the Nancy Drew series.

To say she's hooked is an understatement. In two days, she read the first three books and was clamoring for more. I offered to get a few on my Kindle, but she refused. Turns out, my Child of Technology is a purist and wants only the physical book that she can touch and open and dog-ear and make notes in the margins and put in her backpack to read while driving to/from school.

I LOVE glancing in the rearview mirror and seeing her utterly engrossed in her latest book, her face rapt with fascination over Nancy's exploits. The way my girl's eyes literally light up as she describes how the plucky heroine saved the day. Her excitement when she calls out, "Mama, you've gotta listen to this!" And the wonder in her voice as she reads out loud.

Ask my girl to go see a movie? Chances are 50/50 she'll turn up her nose. Offer her a book? You better brace yourself for a full-body hug.

Totally freaking awesome!

- Elisa

message 5: by Elisa (new)

Can't believe it was 82 degrees in Dallas today. I kept thinking it felt more like early May than four days before Christmas!

I found a new Kim Harrison book (new to me, anyway) titled Dead Witch Walking. One of these days, I'll read it since I've heard so many good things about Kim Harrison's writing talents and UF books. Until then, it's gathering dust on my desk!

- Elisa