The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Should I Read? > 5 Star Books of 2010

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
I tend to be pretty frugal with my 5 star ratings. I usually only give that to books that are fabulous and change the way I see literature or the world. So it was interesting to look back and see what I gave that high honor to this year, and think about what these books meant to me. Here's my list of favorite books I read in 2010. What's on yours?
The Curse of the Wendigo (Monstrumologist, #2) by Rick Yancey Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments Granted, I don't choose the most well written books to read. I enjoy a good story and am pretty forgiving but I only had one 5-star in 2010, Mockingjay Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins by Suzanne Collins

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments As I was looking at my ratings on LibraryThing I notice that I have really reduced the number of 5 star ratings. I think it is because LT has 1/2 stars so I can save the 5 stars for the ones I really, really love.

message 4: by Christian (new)

Christian | 1 comments I gave 5 stars to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy, achieving both closure while still giving the impression that life still goes on, instead of a "...and they lived happily ever after" finality. I too am sparing in my 5 star ratings. It has to be really extraordinary to get one. I have got Super Sad True Love Story at the top of my to be read list.

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 3 comments Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

These are my five stars.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Tim wrote: "I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38) by Terry PratchettWe by Yevgeny ZamyatinLamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher MooreNation by Terry Pratchett[bookcover:The Once and Future Kin..."

I'm glad you liked I Shall Wear Midnight- I've been waiting for us to get it on audio since the audio of Wee Free Men is one of my favorite ever. Hopefully soon...

message 8: by Timothy (last edited Dec 17, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

Timothy Hinkle (neutronflow) | 16 comments I like Stephen Briggs as a reader; I listened to him read Nation. Nigel Planer, who reads most of the earlier Pratchett books, bugs me, though. I wanted to listen to Pyramids, but I don't think I made it through five minutes of Planer's reading.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments Tim wrote: "I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38) by Terry PratchettWe by Yevgeny ZamyatinLamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher MooreNation by Terry Pratchett[bookcover:The Once and Future Kin..."

One of my current goals is to read all of the Discworld books in order. I'm only on 15 right now, but seeing #38 on your list is inspiring me to read faster.

Also, it looks like your did an audiobook for Once and Future King? It's been years since I read that book. Was the reader a good one?

message 10: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hinkle (neutronflow) | 16 comments The Once and Future King was read by Neville Jason; I thought he was very good. Also, the audiobook company, Naxos, prepared a special edition of the text which incorporated The Book of Merlin and attempted to bring the work more in line with White's original version before he made the cuts demanded by his original publisher. I wish there was a print edition of the text used for the audiobook version available.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.