Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > 50 books by Dec. 2011 or bust!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eloises_reader) I generally go through bouts of reading, so my goal is to go at a steady pace for the next year. First up shall be... A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eloises_reader) OK, 2011 is here and I managed to do some reading over winter break!
1) A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - Love, love, love this story! The descriptive language that Dickens used is just intoxicating.

2) James Potter Series by G. Norman Lippert- Technically this is three fanfiction stories, but they are huge stories (the first is a 400+ page PDF). And really good! Very well written, and if you liked HP, it's a good read. It's about Happy Potter's son, so Harry plays a very limited role as it is all about James' adventures.

3) Learn Me Good by John Pearson- This was a reread, and I laughed just as much this time through as the last time I read it! It's a collection of stories about a teacher's first year of teaching written as a collections of e-mails from a teacher to a former co-worker.

Now to continue reading American Gods!

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Andrews (pangirlmom) | 51 comments Thanks for the recommendation for Learn Me Good. I looked at some of the other reviews on Goodreads and have added this to my to-read shelf

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eloises_reader) 4) Unbillable Hours: A True Story by Ian Graham- Although this book could have been utterly boring and filled with lawyer speak, it wasn't. The story captivated me, although I had a bit of frustration at times with time jumps (I can be a very impatient reader at times). The story of Mario Rocha has further opened my eyes to the imperfections in the judicial systems. I hope if I were ever wrongly accused of a crime, I'd have a lawyer as dedicated to my case as his.

5) The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm Book 1) by Michael Buckley
6) The unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm Book 2) by Michael Buckley
7) The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm Book 3) by Michael Buckley
8) Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm Book 4) by Michael Buckley

I have a definite trend going for the last few books :) I'm really liking the Sisters Grimm series thus far. It's almost the girls version of Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, but with fairy tales. As a teacher, I'm loving the tie-ins with the classic fairy tales. I also love that I'm not familiar with all the classic characters that are used in this series, and that I have found myself going back and looking up those tales. Sometime in the near future, I feel I will be catching up with some of the fairy tales that I missed as a child, and perhaps some more adult versions of those stories with which I am familiar.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Andrews (pangirlmom) | 51 comments Michelle - I'm reading Unbillable Hours now too! And I'm enjoying it. I got it as a free bool for my Kindle. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eloises_reader) I <3 free kindle books. It's a bit iffy sometimes on if it's going to be good, but this was a pleasant surprise. I also find it interesting in how so many people are forming connections through these free books. If you've been grabbing a bunch of the free kindle books, you might be getting a bunch of recommendations from me as I'm working my way through. I've been on a bit of a reading kick lately. :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eloises_reader) 9) Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm Book 5) by Michael Buckley
10) Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm Book 6) by Michael Buckley
11) The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm Book 7) by Michael Buckley
12) The Inside Story (The Sisters Grimm Book 8) by Michael Buckley

I've now read all the Sisters Grimm books that are currently published! Still like the series, although I have to admit that some of the plot twists seem to be getting easier to guess. I had figured out who the mystery big-bad was several books before it was revealed. That being said, I still read the books like they were some sort drug that I couldn't live without.

13) En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between by Steven "Kelly" Grayson- This book was rather enjoyable (is it ok to say that about a book that's full of really sick/hurt people?). The author is a great storyteller, and obviously has a great sense of humor. In a lot of ways this was very much an American version of Tom Reynolds' More Blood, More Sweat, and Another Cup of Tea (there are two- I read the second).

14) The Hollywood Mission (Spy Force, Book 4) by Deborah Abela- I grabbed this from a used book store since it had a bit of a ridiculous title. Honestly was not the most thrilling book I've ever read. If I had read this when I was 10, I would have enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely nice to see a girl in the role of a spy instead of a boy. Overall, though, it kinda gave me the feeling that I was reading an episode of Kim Possible or something. Ah well, I think I paid $2, so it was at least worth what I paid.

15)Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle, World War II #1) by James R. Benn- This is a historical fiction mystery based during WWII. Billy is the nephew of Ike (well, at least related), and is a Boston police detective. After Pearl Harbor, his family uses whatever connections they have so that he can go work for his uncle (supposedly in DC) to avoid the bullets. Long story short, he's sent to England and Uncle Ike uses him as his own detective to protect secrets and quietly solve crimes to avoid international embarrassment. The author did a great job in keeping the language true to the times, and exploring the war through the eyes of a young guy who never dreamed he would be in the midst of the action or even a war. I enjoyed it so much, that I'm reading the second book in the series.

At the rate I'm going, I have a feeling that the 50 book goal will be met by sometime in April or May. It should be interesting to see how many books I actually do read this year!