Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments I read this book last week Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan , Mariya had recommended it some thread that I can't find any longer.

I had never heard of it before, nor of the writer. And I just had to mention that I could not sleep until I finished it. I absolutely loved it, and I was upset it's only the first one of the series and I have to wait another 6 months for the next one.

It's written on third person, it has PNR feel, but it has a happy for now end, instead of HEA. The style reminds me of Guild hunter series, and the story line reminds me of the Eternal Kiss of Darkness mixed with Chicagoland Vampires. It's still original (even though it's about Vampires), I'm a bit of geek myself so I love how the main male character (David) is an expert with computers.

I just thought I'd put it out there since I only picked it up by pure luck, and I was glad I did.

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments I loved it! Dianne Sylvan mentioned that book 1 is more PNR, but once you read book 2 you will know it is definitely UF. I think book 1 sets up for what will happen in book 2 and all that, but I can't wait. If anyone is interested i'm giving away a copy on my blog: http://mystifyingparanormalreviews.bl...

I am trying to get more people to read it but I am failing miserably. haha. But READ IT!!!!!! You will not be disappointed. This is one of those series that you will crave for more!

message 3: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments So true! Thanks for the recommendation Mariya, I have read a couple books since I read Queen of Shadows and I still can't stop thinking about it!

message 4: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments haha. I knoe, me too. July is too far away!

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (vegancleopatra) I'm glad to hear you guys like this one so much, I recently picked this one up myself. I hope to fit it in the next month or so. But since I may be craving for book 2 immediately afterward I wonder if I should wait!

message 6: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments Nikki wrote: "I'm glad to hear you guys like this one so much, I recently picked this one up myself. I hope to fit it in the next month or so. But since I may be craving for book 2 immediately afterward I wonder..."

Hi Nikki, it's a really good book. For me, this is the sort of book I'll enjoy re-reading just before #2 comes out.

message 7: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments Where did you find info on book 2? I have been trying for forever to find something out!

message 8: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 157 comments Lenore *--*Phierce*-- * wrote: "Where did you find info on book 2? I have been trying for forever to find something out!"

it's on the authors website.

message 9: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments Thanks. I looked there a while ago but had not checked back

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (vegancleopatra) I'll probably read it sooner than later then, especially since #2 is many months away. I tried to spread out Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series to wait for book 5 but I just couldn't do it, they were too good. I can always hope this series would leave me feeling the same way!

message 11: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
I liked the book fairly well, particularly David and the interesting take on vampires, but there was one thing that really made me uncomfortable.

SPOILERS!!!

There's a pretty brutal gang rape scene at the beginning that I really wish hadn't been there. I didn't feel like it was gratuitous, per se, but I thought a beating would have worked just as well to break Miranda. The rape was just... disturbing.

message 12: by Rafaela (last edited Dec 14, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments TDF Pamela wrote: "I liked the book fairly well, particularly David and the interesting take on vampires, but there was one thing that really made me uncomfortable.

SPOILERS!!!

There's a pretty brutal gang..."

I agree with you there. I got over quite quickly since that scene is right in the beginning and it doesn't get re-lived, and Miranda grows stronger for it and not weaker.

message 13: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments Rafaela wrote: "TDF Pamela wrote: "I liked the book fairly well, particularly David and the interesting take on vampires, but there was one thing that really made me uncomfortable.

SPOILERS!!!

There's a pretty b..."

I agree and disagree. Yes a beating might have served the same purpose, but Sylvan should be commended for writing a heart wrenching scene knowing some readers would not appreciate it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Queen of Shadows (other topics)