Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What movies put you to sleep?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aynge (last edited Dec 12, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Okay, movies you watch at home don't count: it's too easy to fall asleep in your own house.

For me, it was the second Lord of the Rings movie, the one with the trees walking around. I'm not a Tolkien fan, but I really liked the first movie and looked forward to the second one. But I only made it halfway through before I was sawing logs.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I tend to fall asleep at the symphony. Can't remember ever doing it watching a movie in the theater.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
The Pirates movies do it, and LOTR. There Will be Blood is one I've tried to watch several times and really do want to like, but I can not stay awake for the life of me.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments I fell asleep during JFK. I was on a blind date and he wasn't too happy.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It was a revival of The Wild Bunch, but I'm not blaming the movie. If I fall asleep, it's just because I'm tired. If I'm not interested, my mind just wanders.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Solaris.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have never fallen asleep in the theater. i carefully pick the films i choose to see on the big screen, on the small screen not so much.

message 8: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Avatar. I did not get the blue people.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So ... no sleeping on park benches with a newspaper for a blanket, eh?

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I fell asleep during the movie, "Duck You Suckers" with James Coburn in it... not once, but three different times. The first time was at a drive in theatre. The other two times were admittedly at home. I gave up on it after the 3rd time.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I don't remember, but I do remember I did fall asleep once...it must've been really boring to have left no impression.

message 12: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Everything any more.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 13, 2010 06:28AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Just about any biography, e.g. Gandhi, Nixon, etc.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never fallen asleep in a movie theater, but I do sometimes fall asleep on the couch. I fell asleep watching The Net with Sandra Bullock years ago and dreamed my own version that was much better.

Also, I have a strange tendency to pass out when watching stand up comedy, except for Eddie Izzard.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I fell asleep during The English Patient and Schindler's List in the movie theatre; in the privacy of my home - Cabin Boy and also It's a Wonderful Life. Yeah. No.

message 16: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Never fallen asleep in a movie theater.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, after reading 22 other responses about people who have NEVER OMG NEVER fallen asleep in the theater I change my response.

I haven't seen the Pirates films in a theater, good god why would I pay money for that, but I did still fall asleep to the LOTR movies in the theater.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO'S ACTUALLY FALLEN ASLEEP IN A MOVIE THEATRE?!!

message 19: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 13, 2010 02:21PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I fell asleep during Braveheart (to be fair, I was on a new schedule at my job). No joke. My boyfriend woke me up and we went to the parking lot and hooked up instead.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments "Hooked up."

Does that involve a penis and a vagina?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) We were into suspension play.

message 22: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Heidi wrote: "AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO'S ACTUALLY FALLEN ASLEEP IN A MOVIE THEATRE?!!"

No. It's very rare but it's happened to me, and I never go to the movies if I'm tired. Why spend ten bucks just for a nap? And it's so freakin' loud. So if a movie puts me out, it's the director's fault.

message 23: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Janice wrote: "I fell asleep during the movie, "Duck You Suckers" with James Coburn in it... "

That's one of the best titles I've ever heard. LOL!

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

Braveheart is a terrible movie

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Depaolo (dewsydaisy) | 60 comments I've never fallen asleep at a theature movie because even if the movie is really that bad, I'm with friends. So we just look at eachother and make fun of it silently and laugh at parts that aren't funny because we're so in dire need to find something amusing we just laught at horrible it is.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments My husband falls asleep at the opera and the ballet.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pour moi, l'opera = snore.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heidi wrote: "AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO'S ACTUALLY FALLEN ASLEEP IN A MOVIE THEATRE?!!"

OK. I fell asleep during a midnight showing of MST 3K: The Movie once. I had already seen it five or six times, and I was drunk.

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Heidi wrote: "AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO'S ACTUALLY FALLEN ASLEEP IN A MOVIE THEATRE?!!"

OK. I fell asleep during a midnight showing of MST 3K: The Movie once. I had already seen it five or six time..."

HAHAHAHA!!!

The few times I have fallen asleep during a movie, I was likely either with my dad (who probably paid for it and drug me to see something I didn't really want to see) or v. exhausted from no sleep, in which case my judgment was already impaired, so it didn't occur to me to tell my friends or family I really needed a nap instead of going to a movie.

Add Sherlock Holmes to that list. It also put me to sleep... in the movie theatre, no less.

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments The Robert Downey/Jude Law "Sherlock Holmes"? That movie is probably better viewed when asleep.

message 31: by Heidi (last edited Dec 14, 2010 02:58PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jonathan wrote: "The Robert Downey/Jude Law "Sherlock Holmes"? That movie is probably better viewed when asleep."

That's the one. In the movie's defense, though, I was up for almost 48 hours after a traumatic night during the holiday weekend by the time I sat in the movie theatre to watch it. I nean, it could've been Mary Poppins (one of my all-time favorites), and I probably still would've fallen asleep.

message 32: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I will admit, I have dozed off in a theatre, movie and otherwise. By Friday or Saturday night, I am so pooped from work and such that I just want to chill at home. I used to have season tickets to the local theatre's Broadway traveling shows and after the intermission, I could barely keep my eyes open for some of them. I think I fell asleep during Avatar. Jimminy Cricket, it was like 3 hrs long! When I watch movies at home, I have to make sure I am sitting upright because as soon as I stretch out on the sofa with the lights out, it is all over! I would rather see a sporting event in the evening and a movie during the day because I have a better chance of staying awake. :)

message 33: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments I've never fallen asleep in a theater. At home, I could fall asleep to anything.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I already said this in another thread, but Syriana and Master and Commander.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments ACK! Heidi mentioned Mary Poppins! My first movie I ever saw in a theater. I love the scene with the sidewalk chalk drawings. And I love Dick Van Dyke.

message 36: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I fell asleep watching "The War of the Roses" with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas in the theater. Usually the sound is so loud it keeps me awake. But this movie was just so depressing...I wanted to go home but my spouse wanted to see it. He did. I didn't.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I saw that sherlock homes one in the theater when pregnant with leah. And she kicked the entire time.

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Gallipolli. still puts me to sleep whenever I try to watch it at home on tv.

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I fell asleep at the movie theatre during Captain Ron, I think. If that's the one that Martin Short has an allergic reaction on a plane.
I laughed through most of Titanic and all of
Van Helsing.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Never fallen asleep in a theatre, but everytime I try to watch Narnia the first one at home I fall asleep and I like that movie.

message 41: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments When the girls were young, these things worked like ether on me:

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments And with that, the epidemic spreads to yet another thread.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments She is cute!

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Actually LOL'd at that Sarah.

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh jeeebus, Barb. Oh holy...I'm crying with tears.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I mean laughing with tears. ha!

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments PEEN turtle!!

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "Speaking of Baby Einstein ... my daughter used to have that little turtle toy ... she stared at him for long stretches ... until I noticed he had a penis on his head. She wasn't allowed to play wi..."

Wow, Canadian. That is odd!

message 49: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Barb, LMAO! that really is creepy!

message 50: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I think I like "scuba mask" as a euphemism. Now I just have to figure out how to work it into a conversation.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.