Dorothy Dunnett fans discussion

Book Discussions > King Hereafter - general impressions and non spoilers

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 314 comments Mod
I am going to read this with the yahoo group that is beginning discussion on Jan. 10. Right now I forget which group. Is it DDANZ or CLAES? At any rate, I will read it then.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

It's DDANZ and the read was postponed a week due to the discussion leader's father's death. So we're starting this coming Monday, January 17.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Yikes! People were complaining that it was too fast, so they've changed the schedule! I may have to just read the thing and then go back and review as they discuss.

Proposed Schedule (Mark 2);
Open to modification as we progress

There should be about 40-50 Pages per week

Part One NOW WITCHCRAFT CELEBRATES.
Chapters 1- 8 (70p.) Jan 17-23
Chapters 9-13 (44p.) Jan 24-30
Chapters 14-17 (45p.) Jan 31–Feb 6
Chapters 18-21 (49p.) Feb 7–13

Part 2 OF DIRE COMBUSTION AND CONFUSED EVENTS
Chapters 1- 4 (40p.) Feb 14–20
Chapters 5- 8 (46p.) Feb 21–27
Chapters 9-11 (39p.) Feb 28–Mar 6

Part Three PURE AS SNOW
Chapters 1- 5 (42p.) Mar 7–13
Chapters 6-10 (45p.) Mar 14-20
Chapters 11-15 (44p.) Mar 21-17

Part Four WHAT IS THE NIGHT
Chapters 1- 4 (49p.) Mar 28-Apr 3
Chapters 5- 8 (50p.) Apr 4–10
Chapters 9-12 (43p.) Apr 11-17
Chapters 13-15 (47p.) Apr 18-24

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace (greengrace) | 71 comments I'm still not good with group reads I don't like to read slow but I'm a slow typer and in some cases a slow thinker. I didn't vote one way or the other.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Gracie wrote: "I'm still not good with group reads I don't like to read slow but I'm a slow typer and in some cases a slow thinker. I didn't vote one way or the other."

I don't like to read slow either. By the time I get back to it three days later, all my built up emotional tension is gone.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (greengrace) | 71 comments I always think I'll zoom ahead a bit and then go bak and read theposts and comment then but it hasn't worked out that way.
My "long post" to DDANZ seemed to be a show stopper, out of place and not well received. Of course if I hadn't qualified it so much and if it had been clearer. Oh well live and learn. I'm still such a newbie at 8 months in. Heike and the pros on the lists intimidate me. They don't mean to but I'm really sensitive about my writing - I quit college 3 times because of a huge writing phobia (doesn't work with a history major or any of the subjects I liked )

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace (greengrace) | 71 comments See! I meant to hit preview and get rid of bak and theposts...there's a reason I'm nervous

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Gracie wrote: "I always think I'll zoom ahead a bit and then go bak and read theposts and comment then but it hasn't worked out that way.
My "long post" to DDANZ seemed to be a show stopper, out of place and not..."

Well, none or few of my posts have had responses, and I think either they think I'm dumb or I'm stating the obvious, not worth commenting on. I don't always agree with them.

I liked your long post, partly because you were replying to my post. I'm going to go back and respond soon.

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace (greengrace) | 71 comments Simon once wrote to me that when people don't respond it is * most often* because they agree with you. You come off as very intelligent ( I may not be able to write but I can read) and not obvious at all. I headed my long post with yours because it came the closest to what I was struggling with. Now it may be that I think your smart and a deep thinker because you think like me or we could be right really going to bed now, it's times like this I don't like my reverse schedule but tonight when I'm being paid to read, google and 'play Lymond' as my sisters used to call it I love being a vampire.
Have a great day, you've made mine!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Well, it's fun talking to you and I just went and responded to your post. Just thoughts I had after reading it.

You made mine, too! Get good rest. :)

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Oh, and it certainly beat the multiple posts about the food, for crying out loud.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Here's a revised schedule:

Part One Now Witchcraft Celebrates.
Chapters 1- 8 (70p.) Jan 17-23
Chapters 9-13 (44p.) Jan 24-30
Chapters 14-17 (45p.) Jan 31–Feb 6
Chapters 18-21 (49p.) Feb 7–13

Part 2 Of Dire Combustion and Confused Events
Chapters 1- 4 (40p.) Feb 14–20
Chapters 5- 8 (46p.) Feb 21–27
Chapters 9-11 (39p.) Feb 28–Mar 6

Part Three Pure as Snow
Chapters 1- 5 (42p.) Mar 7–13
Chapters 6-10 (45p.) Mar 14-20
Chapters 11-15 (44p.) Mar 21-17

Part Four WHAT IS THE NIGHT
Chapters 1- 4 (49p.) Mar 28-Apr 3
Chapters 5- 8 (50p.) Apr 4–10
Chapters 9-12 (43p.) Apr 11-17
Chapters 13-15 (47p.) Apr 18-24

message 13: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) Anyone want to read King Hereafter? This will be my first time.

I was not ready to read it til I finished the Niccolo series. Now I have read and loved Nic and Lymond, so I am ready for Thorfin.

message 14: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) Katherine, are you reading this? We can either post over here or put up a side read at BookNook. What do you think?

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Zorro wrote: "Katherine, are you reading this? We can either post over here or put up a side read at BookNook. What do you think?"

I read this a year ago. It's awesome.

message 16: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) Sandra, I wish I could say 'it's awesome' but I am so bogged down in the boring history lessons and all the side stories of politics...I wish it was over and finished and done with. Groan.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Zorro wrote: "Sandra, I wish I could say 'it's awesome' but I am so bogged down in the boring history lessons and all the side stories of politics...I wish it was over and finished and done with. Groan."

I must admit I skimmed those parts. The awesome parts are about Thorfinn and his relationships, especially with his wife.

message 18: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) I am in the last 20% of the book now (finally) after putting it aside for awhile. I am moving slowly, dreading Thorfinn's death scene..........

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Zorro wrote: "I am in the last 20% of the book now (finally) after putting it aside for awhile. I am moving slowly, dreading Thorfinn's death scene.........."

OMG, it's sooo sad.

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison | 8 comments I must be odd because I loved the history and politics as much as the rest of the story. I think it's just a matter of putting it in perspective. Little things like knowing that Aeflgar of Mercia's mother was *THE* famous Lady Godiva and that it was only about ten years after the end of this book that William the Conqueror invaded England... For me these settle the book nicely into the timeline of history.

message 21: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 2 comments Alison wrote: "I must be odd because I loved the history and politics as much as the rest of the story. I think it's just a matter of putting it in perspective. Little things like knowing that Aeflgar of Mercia's..."

You're not weird -- I also loved the history and politics! With all of Dunnett's novels, I think fitting the characters lives into the larger picture of their times is an important part of the fun and gives a deeper meaning to everything that happens. She doesn't spell things out for her readers, so I feel a thrill of accomplishment when I manage to make the connections.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenma) | 12 comments I also found the history fascinating. I also read MacBeth by Nigel Tranter and the contrast with KH was really interesting. I love DD's way of interweaving Scottish history in with Englsh and with contemporary European events in Scandinavia and the Catholic Church. I loved Lady Godiva and Alfgar.

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 48 comments Zorro wrote: "Katherine, are you reading this? We can either post over here or put up a side read at BookNook. What do you think?"

Oh dear, has it really been that long since I popped in here? Ah well, my very delayed answer...

Zorro and I read this January 2012, and though some of it was steep going for me, the story and characters were walk-off-the-page brilliant. Seriously, this is one of those books that almost two years later some of the scenes are still unusually vivid. (Yes, unfortunately I'm often plagued with plot amnesia, I know I've read a book but can't for the life of me remember much more than that! *sigh*) Not so here. KH doesn't simply linger, it's etched in my memory.

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo | 12 comments Cphe wrote: "I realise that this particular thread is an old one - but I'm hoping to start this shortly.

I've put off reading it for ages because I don't want to be disappointed after the very excellent Lymond..."

I adore this book. It is difficult reading, and if you can find an online forum to help you through some of the history and mythology, then it'll be worth it's weight in gold. Having said that, it's possibly the most haunting and memorable of her books, in my view. It's Dorothy Dunnett - you won't be disappointed!

message 25: by Ardyth (new)

Ardyth | 4 comments Cphe wrote: "I realise that this particular thread is an old one - but I'm hoping to start this shortly.

I've put off reading it for ages because I don't want to be disappointed after the very excellent Lymond..."

I loved it. Definitely lives up to the high standard. Hard work, great payoff!

message 26: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 19 comments I recently bought a copy of King Hereafter. I have put off reading it for a few years but I am finally ready to tackle it and I am glad to know others are reading it now too to have people to share thoughts with. I had heard it was a difficult read. After all Dunnett never wrote anything that wasn't worth reading more than once.

message 27: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 20 comments Cphe and Cheryl, it helps just a little to have read Macbeth, and also to have seen a family tree of the Scottish kings of that era. From time to time, you'll smile over an allusion or on DD's take on something.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo | 12 comments If there was another master storyteller like DD, that would be wonderful. Meantime, I know I'll continue to enjoy these books again and again until my eyesight gives out.

message 29: by P.E. (new)

P.E. Sibley (pesibley) | 31 comments And then there's Audible, although not for King Hereafter and the Johnson Johnson mysteries.

message 30: by Judith (new)

Judith | 3 comments Sandra wrote: "Zorro wrote: "Sandra, I wish I could say 'it's awesome' but I am so bogged down in the boring history lessons and all the side stories of politics...I wish it was over and finished and done with. G..."

On my first read, those bits were a muddle and I skimmed through Rome and Austria. I'm reading now with a group--more slowly, and someone usually puts up references to some of those bits. Thorfinn goes there to cement relationships--with his "youngsters" and the church. He is nation-building.

message 31: by Judith (new)

Judith | 3 comments MaryC wrote: "Cphe and Cheryl, it helps just a little to have read Macbeth, and also to have seen a family tree of the Scottish kings of that era. From time to time, you'll smile over an allusion or on DD's take..."

Knowing the Norwegian and Danish kings helps--and what is going on in England, too. The church history was difficult for me--Everyone wanted power and land, even the pope, the archbishops, etc.