Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Your favorite undead novel?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Morey | 6 comments Hey guys, I'm curious, what's your favorite novel based around our favorite brain eating friends? I've heard The Rising by Brian Keene is good. I've read Dead Sea by Brian Keene and enjoyed it quite a bit. What would you guys recommend?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments Brian Keene is a close second for me. The best I've raed uis Max Brooks WORLD WAR Z.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'll have to check my list, but WWZ is probably my favorite. It's fantastic.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Didn't Max Brooks also write the Zombie Survival Guide?

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments I liked the Survival Guide. It was genuinely freaky.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments As much as I loved WWZ, I've never read TSG.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments You'll feel much better about any coming zombie apocalypses once you read it. lol

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I know what NOT to do, thanks to The Oatmeal:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments lol! Now I am enlightened as well.

message 11: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments World War Z is pretty much a masterpiece, not in the least because of its uniqueness. Brian Keene is often credited with reviving zombie genre in literature, so that's a pretty high compliment for the Rising trilogy. Risen by J. Knight is one of my personal favorites, though seems like no one's ever heard of it.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I love Keene's zombie novels, too. I think they're very well written, which is why some of his later books disappoint me.

Berserk by Tim Lebbon has some zombie elements in it. I thought it was very good and am always surprised at the three and under ratings it gets. It's one of those roller coaster rides from start to finish.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I'll have to try RISEN. Thanks.

message 14: by Amy (last edited Dec 12, 2010 09:11PM) (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Brian Keene really doesn't have a zombie trilogy. City of the Dead picks up immediately where The Rising left off, but Dead Sea is separate from both. I haven't read it yet, but agree that the 1st two are very good.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Amy. I just always clump those three books together.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Tressa, I read Berserk and hated it so much. But then again, it was my second Lebbon book and I just can't stand the way he writes.

The first one I read was Desolation (I think that's what it was called) and was just really done with him after Berserk.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The only other Lebbon book I (think) I've read is Face, and I gave that 2 stars. Berserk was great, though.

message 18: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I love Tim Lebbon. I'm kinda annoyed that he veered into fantasy now, but his horror books are great. Nature of Balance was the first book I read by him and it was love at first word or something and then Fears Unnamed sorta cemented it. Face was one of his lesser works for sure, but I think he is tremendously talented.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments It's funny too because my husband reads strictly fantasy and I ranted & raved about how much I didn't like Lebbon that he won't touch any of this fantasy stuff. Which probably isn't fair b/c he might write better fantasy than he does horror.

message 20: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I tried Echo City, but couldn't get into it. There is something about fantasy that's not quite...well..horror :)

message 21: by Amy (last edited Dec 12, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments I always thought the girl on the cover of Berserk is what Dakota Fanning would look like as a zombie.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Spot on, Amy! That is one of my favorite horror covers.

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments I've never been a zombie fan, so my favorite undead novel (or novella really) concerns ghouls. It's the sadly underappreciated The Throne of Bones.

message 24: by Bandit (last edited Dec 16, 2010 01:38PM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I bought Throne of Bones at a sidewalk sale for $.5 just going by how awesome the cover looks. Is it worth a read or just the title story?

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments This is a tough one. I'd say either WWZ or Dead Sea for me.

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill (billymac) I haven't read a zombie novel I was that crazy about.
However, if coming back from the dead counts,

Favorite novel: Pet Semetary!
Favorite story: The Monkey's Paw

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments I liked all of the Throne of Bones, but I think McNaughton's short stories require a love of the Weird Tales style story mixed with a sick sense of humor.

message 28: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments I have to go with The Walking Dead. I read a lot of zombie stories, but this one I love and can't wait for the next installment. I didn't really feel that WWZ was a novel, with unified character and plot. I liked it, but don't put it into a novel genre.

message 29: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments Martha wrote: "I liked all of the Throne of Bones, but I think McNaughton's short stories require a love of the Weird Tales style story mixed with a sick sense of humor."

you should read mcnaughton's The House Across the Way. it's awesome. not a whole lot of undead...just one! it's not really about the undead, more about bad things crossing over from another dimension.

i haven't read a lot of zombie novels. i think my favorite is probably The Rising. although i have high hopes for the YA The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

message 30: by Emily (last edited Dec 27, 2010 11:51PM) (new)

Emily Northcutt (emilydnorthcutt) I thoroughly enjoyed David Wellington's Zombie trilogy. Monster Island (Zombies, #1) by David Wellington Monster Nation (Zombies, #2) by David Wellington Monster Planet (Zombies, #3) by David Wellington

I'd love to read the Walking Dead graphic novels since I thought AMC's show was really great. Some great post-apocalyptic human drama there!

World War Z is a favorite as are two YA undead novels that I've read. Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth is excellent (the sequel is a bit weaker, I think) and I just finished Rot & Ruin. It included a Night of the Living Dead reference that made me smile.

message 31: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I liked MONSTER ISLAND at first, but it really lost me when things started getting wacky. I hear NATION and especially PLANET don't really have much to do with zombies.

No love for Patient Zero? That one might be my favorite, just for how danged exciting it was.

Dead Sea was just okay, IMO. The worst character, sadly, was the main character. I never really gave a toss about Lamar.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl, you're not the only one to think Monster Nation and Monster Planet are not as good as Monster Island. I liked them all, but have known of several people who feel the same as you.

Patient Zero is good, but the military badass angle was not as much to my liking as my husband's. He's into military writing and enjoyed PZ and the sequel, which I didn't bother to read.

I loved Dead Sea.

message 33: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I haven't read Nation or Planet. Due to the direction the first one took in the beginning, and the reviews I read of the next two, I decided I wasn't all that interested.

I thought the characterization was so strong in Patient Zero that it easily outweighed the machismo. My mom read Dragon Factory and much prefered it to PZ.

message 34: by Dana * (last edited Jan 03, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments I finally read Monster Nation (Zombies, #2) by David Wellington and I really like it. I'm going to read Monster Island (Zombies, #1) by David Wellington next. I like that there is a pseudo zombie heroine and a purpose beyond just munching brains. I like the military hero.

Still second to Walking Dead though.

i am also reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist which is very intriguing so far.

message 35: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Seth wrote: "A bit off the familiar path--but I love Neither The Sea Nor The Sand, by Gordon Honeycombe, as far as zombie novels go."

Good to know--this one's on my shelf, unread.

message 36: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments Decided that Handling the Undead was very moving, and I compare it to Pet Sematary because of that. How to handle the grief of loss is the theme.

I wouldn't call this a favorite undead novel, only because I don't see that as the main theme. There are only a few classic zombie attacks in this story. The main plot is dealing with grief and death,

I tell ya I never want to see small white worms again, though!

message 37: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I preferred Monster Island to Monster Nation. Am hoping Monster Planet is good.

message 38: by Bandit (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I loved the Monster Trilogy
and
I very much agree with your review of Handling of Undead, Dana, I just posted a review today with similar ideas