YA Must-Reads discussion

Fun Stuff/Games!! > Slowest Writers...EVER

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Ever had a series you just couldn't wait to read, but the author took forever to write? Post them here!

Here's my nomination: Christopher Paolini.

His latest book came out in 2008...it's almost 2011 and there's still no word about the final installment! Way to take your time Chris!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (alwaysrebecca) Agreed... Have they even announced a title yet?!?!?

message 3: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
No. All they've said is that there's a green dragon on the cover. They're REALLY dragging this out. I looked on his site and apparently he created a guide to alagaesia. Maybe he should have actually made the last book before he decided to make a guide!

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (alwaysrebecca) True... Do they have a release date for it yet?

message 5: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
The guide or the book? I believe the guide is already published, but no release date for the last book.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (alwaysrebecca) I meant the book. I've seen the guide in stores... I hope they post a date soon!

message 7: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Considering his books come out like once every 3 years, and the last one came out in 08, I'm hoping for at least a smidgen of info in the beginning of 11.

message 8: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
4th book title! Shur'turgal!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76...

message 9: by Littlebearries (new)

Littlebearries | 4 comments For YA novels?

CLIVE BARKER's Abarat series.
The last one came out in 2004!!!!!

... worse than that, I thought it was a trilogy, but evidently there are 5 of them... at this rate, he'll be dead before he finishes.

At least book three is scheduled for a 2011 release... supposedly.

message 10: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Woah...and I though Paolini was slow. That's a seven year gap!

message 11: by Littlebearries (new)

Littlebearries | 4 comments I know, and Paolini at least has the excuse of being a relative newb in the writing world... where as Clive Barker's been at it a long time... but it's a pretty cool series, despite the main character having the most stupid name ever (her name is Candy Quackenbush... and I almost stopped reading the books because of it... I didn't think the author was taking the story seriously)... but the story is really complex and amazing... the villain is nefarious and the books are peppered with original artwork from Clive Barker, depicting his characters and scenes that are occurring. It's really an excellent series.

message 12: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Candy Quackenbuch...you really have to wonder what authors are thinking of when they come up with names like that haha!

message 13: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

~Tormiester~ (hatsoff343) | 363 comments Mod
Kathryn Lasky. Now there's a slow writer!

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 20 comments I nominate Kristin Cashore. Feels like I've been waiting for Bitterblue forever.

message 15: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

I also nominate Kristin, because she takes so long to write that I forgot all about Bitterblue!

message 16: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
^Lol. Kristin Cashore has been nominated. How long has it been since Fire came out?

message 17: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

I'm guessing two years. Is that a bit much?

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments Sorry I nominate Stephenie Meyer, I was really upset when she chose not to finish "Midnight Sun" because of one idiot who decided to ruin it for everyone! Her not finishing it and releasing it in an actual book felt almost like a slap in the face for her Twilight fans.

message 19: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
@The Romance Bookie- I agree wholeheartedly. Even though it was leaked online, it wasn't a definite copy. She could've tweaked it. Her saying that it was ruined for her and she couldn't write anymore feels like a cop out!

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments Patti wrote: "@The Romance Bookie- I agree wholeheartedly. Even though it was leaked online, it wasn't a definite copy. She could've tweaked it. Her saying that it was ruined for her and she couldn't write anymo..."

Thanks so much for agreeing! I was afraid people were start a hateful discussion on Twilight haha, that's seems to happen A LOT on this website!

message 21: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Oh yeah I've seen a couple dozen or more of those discussions gone wrong! I understand completely. Twilight discussions are everywhere!

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda It seems like Sarah Dessen hasn't written a book in a while but then she came out with What Happened To Goodbye. I still need 2 get that book :)

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments Amanda wrote: "It seems like Sarah Dessen hasn't written a book in a while but then she came out with What Happened To Goodbye. I still need 2 get that book :)"

It's really good!! And yes, it takes her at least two years in between each book it seems. "Along for the Ride" was her last book, before "What Happened to Goodbye" and that came out in the summer of 2009.

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments Patti wrote: "Oh yeah I've seen a couple dozen or more of those discussions gone wrong! I understand completely. Twilight discussions are everywhere!"

Yeah, and they can get scary! So I just try and stay out them haha

message 25: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Lol. The only Sarah Dessen I've read is Dreamland and I absolutely loved it. I just can't figure out which one to get next. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking Lock and Key.

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 9 comments Lock and Key is great! You can't really go wrong with Sarah! My absolute favorite is "Along for the Ride" :)

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Romance Bookie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "It seems like Sarah Dessen hasn't written a book in a while but then she came out with What Happened To Goodbye. I still need 2 get that book :)"

It's really good!! And yes, it tak..."

I've read Along For the Ride & Lock and Key ;) I give Along For the Ride 3/5 stars and lock and Key I give 5/5 stars :)

message 28: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Now that Borders is going out of business, I'll have to check their sale for both! I'll try to pick up some more. Did you guys read The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen ?

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I have that book, but I haven't read it yet. I will soon though :)

message 30: by ~Tormiester~, The Writer (new)

I'm being forced to this August, so I'll tell you what I think of it under the watchful eye of my "guard" *my cousin*

message 31: by Smhmk97 (new)

Smhmk97 | 1 comments Patti wrote: "Ever had a series you just couldn't wait to read, but the author took forever to write? Post them here!

His latest book came out in 2008...it's almo..."

ha..so Im not the only one who thinks cris took a long time eh??

message 32: by Stephie (new)

Stephie (princesspurple86) To me it doesnt matter how long I wait for the next book its too long if its a REALLY good series. Like the Fallen series I finished the 3rd book and now have to wait a year for the next one. TOO LONG!!! But I also want a well written book so I just remind myself that they are taking the time to make it an awesome story.

message 33: by erika (new)

erika | 3 comments Smhmk97 wrote: "Patti wrote: "Ever had a series you just couldn't wait to read, but the author took forever to write? Post them here!

His latest book came out in 2008....."

i reckon hes taking 3 years to finish the book is that he wants it to be perfect

message 34: by cindrella (new)

cindrella (kickasscinderella) | 9 comments The Romance Bookie wrote: "Sorry I nominate Stephenie Meyer, I was really upset when she chose not to finish "Midnight Sun" because of one idiot who decided to ruin it for everyone! Her not finishing it and releasing it in ..."

I Tottaly agree,i know stephanie was angry but this is quite disappointing.......

message 35: by Kevin (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Kevin Oxland (kevin_oxland) | 1 comments I'm the Author of Lost Souls - The Cube of Asgard and when I noticed this thread, I had to comment.

The first book of Lost Souls was released in September and the second is tentatively scheduled for Spring 2012.

Creating a series of books is a lot of work. Maintaining consistency is a job in itself. I'm about two thirds the way through the first draft of book 2 (will be done by Christmas), but I have to constantly go back and check names, locations, things that have been said and done and all the history of the first novel. I think a year between books is normal. I have already created the entire story arc for Lost Souls, which makes writing them that much easier.

The point is, different Authors take different amounts of time, and many have a day job to supplement their income, so it's never easy to predict the future :)

Christopher Paolini's novels are enormous tomes, especially the latest one. Keeping that contained and the world consistent must have been a mountain to climb, so I sympathise.Lost Souls: Book one: The Cube of Asgard

message 36: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (keytan) I put forward my pick of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I don't even KNOW if her shapeshifter series is going to continue, she was releasing one of them every year for 4 years straight. Her vampier series (Den of Shadows) just got a new installment in 2010...yeah the previous one was in 2002. Thank-you-and-goodnight.

message 37: by Patti, The Reader (new)

Patti | 327 comments Mod
Oh..that really beats Paolini.

Elizabeth Peters published the 5th Vicky Bliss in 1994. The 6th came out in 2008. I wouldn't even remember the characters if I were her.

message 38: by Luse (new)

Luse | 6 comments I remember ending a book of the vampire academy series and dying for six months for the next one...

message 39: by Shae (new)

Shae (shaelit) Megan Whalen Turner. There is 4-6 years between each of her books, which means Book Five of The Queen's Thief series won't come out until 2014 at least. That woman is going to kill me with impatience yet.