Jane Austen discussion

Fall 2010 Movie Discussions > December 10-- The Philadelphia Story

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
The next film we will be discussing is The Philadelphia Story, starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and James Stewart and released in 1940.

(I'm VERY sorry I didn't get this thread started yesterday--real life got in the way.)

NOTE: Our next film discussion is for Wives and Daughters and will take place after the discussion of the novel is finished in January.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I love The Philadelphia Story, although it has been awhile since I saw it, like 10 years or more, it is Classic Hepburn, and Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart play well off of each other. I remember the cast as being all perfection in their roles. I liked the fact that Hepburn as I think I remember correctly introduced her uncle instead of her father to her boyfriend?

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Yes she did. The father wasn't supposed to come to the wedding because he was having an affair with some woman in NYC and they didn't want him around. I love The Philadelphia Story as well Robin! Cary Grant was perfection with his comedic timing. I laugh so much with him and Hepburn. Jimmy Stewart totally holds his own with the two of them as well.

If anyone is interested High Society is the musical version of The Philadelphia Story. It has Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, and Frank Sinatra. Not as great as The Philadelphia Story, but worth a viewing.

message 4: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Robin wrote: "I love The Philadelphia Story, although it has been awhile since I saw it, like 10 years or more, it is Classic Hepburn, and Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart play well off of each other. I remember th..."

Hepburn character does introduce Uncle Willy as her father, but not to her fiancee--it's to the two reporters Cary Grant has gotten into the house, played by James Sewart and Ruth Hussey. Then her real father shows up! That is a funny moment, and I can't wait to see the film again now. :)

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Yes yes yes my mistake. I mixed Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant's characters up! Whoops.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I think High Society is a different take on Philadelphia Story. I like Bing Crosby, but I do prefer Philadelphia Story better.

Rachel, I do remember Uncle Willy, I did not catch that her father was having an affair, I was under the impression that she thought Uncle Willy would have come off looking better than her father. I remember her mother saying that is Uncle Willy, to Katharine Hepburn's character, and she stopped her from saying any more. I will have to see this movie again to get the nuances of what others saw.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I just re-watched this classic a few days ago,and it still stands the test of time. Katharine was effervescent as ever. Cary was his usual suave and debonair self, and Jimmy Stewart was his usual self. I enjoyed the movie.

message 8: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

I re-watched this again the other day but am only now getting time to post here.

I forgot how amazingly written and funny this film is. I wish films had this sort of high-brow, intelligent, snappy humor today. I love all the actors, and the performances are just wonderful. That "hearth fires and holocausts" speech blows me away every time. A true classic in every sense.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I know all they show in movies, are the guys six-pack, cursing, and blowing up stuff, and girls in flimsy attire. They should just take our suggestions and make quality movies. Yeah right!

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Ah, it's just a lovely movie all round! The fiance was just a great stuffed shirt, wasn't he? I've seen both The Philadelphia Story and High Society enough times that I totally interchange the characters. I loved the little sister waltzing in to impress the reporters, but I'm not sure which one I'm remembering!!!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Karlyne, that sounds like the first, but I am sure that High Society. they must have had a little sister in that one.

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum My daughter just bought High Society (the littlest granddaughter keeps insisting that she's going to marry Bing), so I'll have to watch it again soon. And then Philadelphia Story again. I'll stock up on the popcorn and chocolate!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) That is so cute, marrying Bing. Philadelphia Story is a good one, with all the principal and secondary characters were all right for their particular roles, the mother in PS, I did not care too much for her.

message 14: by Capability (new)

Capability | 2 comments Love Philadelphia Story - Great movie - High Society good for different reasons but Philadelphia Story wins.

message 15: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson | 13 comments Rachel, I agree with you about the script of Philadelphia Story. If I'm not mistaken I think it was originally a play. I've seen this movie a number of times and I love the language as well as the farce with all the mistaken identities when Tracy Lord (Katherine Hepburn) introduces Uncle Willy (the marvelous Roland Young (Topper) as her father and Cary Grant is sublime as always. I could go on and on. I won't.
However, High Society has the stunningly beautiful Grace Kelly as well as the great Satchmo not to mention Frank and Bing. Great stuff.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I can't remember what I thought when I first saw this movie (centuries ago) but rewatching it did not impress me. Sorry, that whole attitude possession attitude annoys me and I never see it as funny or amusing. The assumption that women did not know their own mind and had to be guided done as comedy just continues to undermind women. Sorry, big stinker!

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Patricia wrote: "I can't remember what I thought when I first saw this movie (centuries ago) but rewatching it did not impress me. Sorry, that whole attitude possession attitude annoys me and I never see it as funn..."

What attitude/possession thing do you mean?

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley She divorced the guy, What she was to stupid to know she really need to get rid of him? And him showing up at her wedding to wreck it. She belonged to him, but she was to stupid to know it. But it was the attitude of the day, she was suppose to concede to her master's will and repent. Divorce was considered a disgrace by the great unwashed so they had to have their proper moral ending. Sorry, didn't like it.

message 19: by Capability (new)

Capability | 2 comments Hmm, not my take at all. Here is a link to the plot summary - http://imdb.to/dS2h6C. I think of it as a self-discovery story - not sexist, really - sorry, don't see it.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Yes, but a plot summary refects the writer and the producers take on why the want you to spend money on their product. This is another era of time for us, and a path of improvement has to be applied to it and seen for what was expected of us then, and what has changed now.
I'm way too old to and my experiences in life just don't allow me a nostalgia for legerdomain and manipulation of women.

message 21: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina What a fun movie. . . . In the beginning it seemed to drag a bit for me and I was afraid it wasn't going to be good. . . but honestly, with a cast like that - how could it not be?! The little sister was so funny when she introduced herself to the reporters. . . and when she sat down to the piano - lol!! Good stuff!! My favorite character was Jimmy Stewart - his facial expressions had me cracking up and the "drunk" scene was fantastic. . . .!! Glad I finally watched it . . thanks for adding it to the list.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz Allen | 25 comments This is an absolute classic. I have to admit that I saw High Society first and unfortunately, I compare The Philadelphia Story to that. I love them both. I have a soft spot for James Stewart and I think he is perfect in this role... not to mention Frank Sinatra did a fantastic job in the same role less than twenty years later. Katherine Hepburn was a sensational actress and she most certainly did not bend to the views of men. She's perfectly capable of holding her own. I'm afraid this is by no means sexist. I believe she actually purchased the rights to The Philadelphia Story and the condition of filming was that she would play the central role. A woman more than capable of "standing on her own two feet" - without a man to "support" her - was the driving force behind creating this timeless motion picture. This in itself speaks volumes for women's rights.
Above all, it's a classic everyone should watch at least once. Even my husband had a chuckle in a few scenes.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) This is a very good movie in that it brought to mind the issues that were not in the open in those days, such as divorce, and infidelity. Issues that were not discussed in public. That is good to know that Hepburn purchased the rights, and she did a stellar job. Most men of those times were threatened by a woman acting like a man, and although Hepburn did not fit into any kind of stereotype then, (she was the first women who wore slacks on-screen,) she and Bette Davis included wanted to break out of the demure roles.

message 24: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson | 13 comments Watching this film, it is so obvious who's in charge and that would be Miz Hepburn. It makes no difference what sappy lines might be said, the acting tells the full story and I cannot imagine anyone assuming that Katherine Hepburn was going to walk ten paces behind any man no matter what the role was nor can I imagine Cary Grant expecting his female leads to do so. Let's not forget he got his start opposite Mae West--"A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up." Besides it's so much fun to watch this wonderful group of actors fly through the snappy dialogue. When do we get to see that anymore?

message 25: by Manda (new)

Manda (pemberliegh) | 96 comments I haven't seen High Society, probably because I can't stand Bing Crosby - he just gives me the creepers...

But I love Grant/Hepburn as a duo. They had good chemistry with their banter. Very fun. I like this movie well enough, although this is not my favorite. If I am going to snuggle up with a Grant/Hepburn flick, then I have to go for Bringing Up Baby. BECAUSE IT IS HILARIOUS. This is possibly my favorite comedy of all time.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Bringing up baby is good. I liked the part where the cheetah was coming into their house, and the uncle thought he was seeing things. Funnyyy.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments I love this movie! Jimmy Stewart is my main man, my favorite actor. And coupled with Cary Grant and Kathryn Hepburn! Just makes it better.

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 111 comments I don't like it much, I find the way everyone keeps lecturing Hepburn about how wrong she is rather tiresome. And the father in particular i think is creepy, blaming her for his infidelity. I prefer the james Stewart character who seems the least preachy, i would have liked Hepburn to end up with him.