The Gateroom discussion

Stargate Onscreen (Movies + TV) > Stargate The Movie

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 187 comments Mod
Yup, I'm talking James Spader and Kurt Russel era. I saw the movie long after I saw the series; there were quite a few changes to the series (significant one being Jack O'Neil vs Jack O'Neill and the way RDA portrayed him) I was amazed at how Michael Shanks stayed true to James Spader's Daniel Jackson at first though. what do you think, guys?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 28 comments I do not like Kurt Russell as an actor (know nothing about him as a person). But I did break down and buy the movie after the TV series started, for background. I liked RDA's portrayal of O''Neill much better; Russell's was way too dark. RDA brought some levity to the part, and I think part of himself came out there. I agree that Michael Shanks did come across a lot like Spader, at least at the beginning, which leads me to believe that he saw the movie before SG-1 ever began.

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

when Michael Shanks did the audition for Daniel Jackson, he tried to play him as close to Spader's Jackson as he could. it was mentioned in one of the interviews. that was kinda cool to see.

With RDA and Kurt Russell, Russell's O'Neil was meant to be darker and broodier (he just lost his son after all) RDA actually made it one of the conditions upon which he took the role on that he wasn't going to play the dark and broody version of Jack O'Neil like Kurt Russell did. And it's a good thing he did, I don't think people would care too much for the broody Jack O'Neill throughout the TV series. it's a huge turn off in the long run, but it worked ok in the movie considering things.

I'm not so sure about Kurt Russell myself, only saw him in a handful of things. I'm not much for movies, prefer TV series. ^^

Jessica ❀Sparky❀ | 4 comments I love the new Jack. He is quite awesome. The movie was good, though I do definitely prefer the series. ^_^

Bjorn-The Last Viking I liked the series and the movies.

message 6: by Anastasia (new)

I think there were going to be 2 more movies(in essense Roland Emmerich was going to do a George Lucas with Star Wars), but IMO, glad that didn't happen.

I wrote a narrative essay taking a look at Stargate the movie looking at the characters of Dr Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil, main symbols and motifs of Stargate and the use of editing, music and subtitles to aid the story telling process. Have a look, see what you think: http://tdallonsy.posterous.com/a-dive...

Bjorn-The Last Viking I liked it, I read it from beginning to end.

message 8: by Anastasia (new)

Thanks! :) It gave me an excuse to watch the movie about 8 more times, with and without commentary and call it research. hehe. Wish I could do that with the series too, but that could take a long while!

Bjorn-The Last Viking Yeah. That would take a while!

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I finally watched the movie! :P

message 11: by Bjorn-The Last Viking (last edited Apr 21, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Bjorn-The Last Viking I've seen several. Which one are you talking about yum yum?

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla The original, in 1994.

message 13: by Anastasia (new)

So, what did you think?

Bjorn-The Last Viking I dont think ive seen this one...THe firs one I ever say was The Children Of the Gods

message 15: by Kayla (new)

Kayla It was actually pretty good.

Bjorn-The Last Viking Wait, is this the one where Danial discovers the secrets of the stargate? If so, then that was the first one I saw.

message 17: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Daniel yes, discovered the secrets of the Stargate in the movie.

Bjorn-The Last Viking Ok, Then thats the first one I saw. :p

message 19: by Anastasia (new)

the 1994 movie was with James Spader and Kurt Russell.

message 20: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yep. That one.

Bjorn-The Last Viking Yeah....I was going to watch a movie last night with Kurt Russell. I forget which.....I ended up watching Stargate though. :p

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 16 comments I think I saw the movie first around the time SG1 was starting. Since SG1 started on Showtime and I didn't have Showtime at the time, I didn't start watching SG1 til the second season (I had gotten showtime at that point or that was when sci-fi had gotten a hold of it)