Girls Night In discussion

Book #1 > 1/2 Way Point

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
Today is the halfway point.... anyone have anything they want to discuss yet? :)

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Heit | 12 comments I am going to be lagging on this.. I haven't begun!! still in my "to reads"... I just wish I could squeeze a few more hours in the day! I don't blame you if you want to put me in "reading concentration camp" haaaa. I'll check in when I start.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments Did Chapter One feel like it was 100 pages long!!!!!! I am still trying to get a gist for this storyline and the main character. Not sure if I care for anyone yet.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
I atarted this on Saturday and I am quite a few (long) chapters in and I still am not sure where this is going. Though I can say I *hate* the title.... I do NOT feel like I am 'napping' by staying home chasing a toddler with another on the way!

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Clarke | 2 comments I started this book about a week ago and I am 80 pages into it. I am just starting to figure out who the main character is and the storyline. Hopefully the next couple of chapters will seem shorter!

message 6: by Joannah (new)

Joannah | 13 comments I'm half way done with the book and I'm not sure how I got this far...can anyone say depressing? The main character (Amy) is definitely on a 10 year nap, I can see how many women would be able to relate to how she is feeling because it is hard to stop working and become a mother and wonder how so much time has passed but c'mon lady, it's been 10 years already! ...time to figure it out or buck up! The book and it's characters are not completely boring but they definitely need a little more umph or something! I don't like the title either Nicole and in reading the book it is clear how the author feels about women who stay home to be with their children. Oh...and I'm bugged by the way Jill is with Nadia. sheesh!

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara | 2 comments Hi Ladies~ Sad to say that I am only 20 pages in. I started the book about a week ago and have not picked it back up. I am having a hard time getting interested. I am hoping to get some reading time in during Kaylee nap today. I really hope this book picks up!!!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments wow - this sounds like a horrible book so far!
Ha - I'm behind on this (still need to get it)
but I'm babyless, fiance is away, and I have a 6 hour flight to NY on Sunday so I'll be able to catch up and commiserate soon

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
This was not a very engaging book. I dont know how I got through it. I still dont know what the story/point was. My recommendation to those that havent started and havent bought it is: DON'T.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 5 comments Hi everyone. I am so glad to read all of you feel the same way I do about the book. I can't get into it. When I pick up this book to read I find my mind wondering to things that I need to get done. Needless to say I don't think I am going to read anymore. Glad I got this book from the library....

message 11: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 5 comments Hi everyone. I am so glad to read all of you feel the same way I do about the book. I can't get into it. When I pick up this book to read I find my mind wondering to things that I need to get done. Needless to say I don't think I am going to read anymore. Glad I got this book from the library....

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Kardon (tracyk) | 2 comments Well, after reading all of your posts, I think I will wait until the next book. I am in the middle of The Omnivore's Dilemma which very interesting, so I will stick with it! Good Luck everyone!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JH45) | 6 comments I just joined this group yesterday and was going to pick up the book tonight. I'll take Nicole's advice and won't get it. I'm reading both the Shadow of the Wind and The Secret Life of Bees. I will finish those and wait for our next book.
Has this group read the Twilight books?

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
I am sorry for posting such a negative review. I thought about NOT posting for a long time since I knew it would effect some people's reading BUT I ended up posting in the hopes of saving people some time and/or money. I am bummed our first book was not a success and I hope we can get this right and that we havent lost too many people! I also hope someone does make their way through the book and has a different opinion or tells me that I simply missed the point.
In response to Jessica, we havent read Twilight as a group but I am now hesitant to pick this book since it is filed as a "KID'S" book when I looked for it at Target.com.
Maybe we can pick a book that someone has actually read (and enjoyed and recommends) and that person can just sit out and read something else. Thoughts?

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose (wwwgoodreadscomrose) | 8 comments Come on ladies. We bought the book, read it, at least talk about the premise. What do you think about women who don't keep up their resumes? That was the main point, not that Amy and her friends waited ten years to realize they needed to build a life outside their children. The only happy one of their group was the Japanese woman (read this a month ago and gave it to Tracy Liz so cannot remember character names) who went for job interviews each month... she felt wanted and desired in the job market at least. The book was anything but subtle... what about the young woman in Amy's apartment building whose husband died and forced her and her kids to move out because she couldn't afford to stay their herself? It is risky, in the very least, to not keep you big toe in the job market. What do all you young stay at home mothers think about this? I'm not trying to be a pushy feminist bitch, I stayed home for 18 months with Tracy Liz and only worked on occasional projects. But I am a "worst case scenario" kind of person, and always worried what would happen if I didn't work, and something went wrong... divorce, death, or even just slow financial periods in my husband's business. And it has been a good thing I did, as there have been many years when I made more money than my husband and we needed it with college, etc. So, I think the point of the book is worth discussing without getting too picky about the book title, the poor dialogue, or the strange diversions like the affair (what was that all about except that Amy didn't have anything else to interest her?). yes, it may cost as much to pay for help for the kids when they are young, but in the long run, it is good for all family members if you're doing something outside the house that you feel good about.. e.g., a career or such. Agree? Disagree?

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
You are right Auntie Rose, there are some things to discuss. The characters were weak, at best, but surely we can find things to talk about. (*spoiler alerts*) The things that Amy thought about and obssessed over (like the affair) had nothing to do with HER life directly and that alone bothered me.... I mean, I guess it is sad that her life was so boring that someone's affair (someone she hardly knew at all) was the most interesting thing in her life and enough to change her mood and cause her to not want to go out. I am in the same situation as many of those moms and yet I found nothing in common with any of them. I wanted to find something in common. I wanted some more character development. I wanted to like them. I wanted to hear about the turmoil going on in their heads about going back to work. More than anything though, I wanted something to HAPPEN. I thought something was going to happen to Amy on the vacation - NOPE - not to Amy anyway (maybe an affair with the surf instructor??). I thought something was going to happen when all the women drove to the father-son weekend to drop off a forgotten item - NOPE. I thought something was going to be going on between the husband and the secretary he danced with - NOPE. So the most interesting thing that happened in the entire book was the affair that happened to someone Amy hardly knew. In the end, I at LEAST wanted Amy's decision to go back to work to be her own. Not even that was her own. Is that the point of the book - Mother's lives can often no longer belong to them at all? That could be a good topic for a book but this book isnt it cuz it is done in a very boring way with an anticlimactic ending.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JH45) | 6 comments Nicole...I have read all three books in the Twilight series. They are probably aimed at teens but I enjoyed them all as did two other women I work with who are in their 30s. I'm looking forward to the fourth book which comes out this weekend.

message 18: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments well, my two cents on this book are: "not a fan"
I took the book with me on our road trip and every 3 pages I fell asleep!

message 19: by Joannah (new)

Joannah | 13 comments Finito! I'm glad I finished the book. I wouldn't reccomend it to any one but looking back on it I do appreciate it a little more now then I did while I was reading it.

As the book went through the main characters , all past professionals who had given up their careers to be at home with there children and are all now trapped in the same passionless tunnel, I couldn't help but think that it is there own fault and I was bugged. I have been home with Jordan now for 9 months and I do understand that it is easier to feel sorry for yourself and spend a lot of time wondering if you made the right choice to stay at home and also wonder what your mission in life is but still...if you feel like such a "loser" (as Roberta reffered to herself and her husband) or are so unsure of what to do then just get up and get a regular job like every one else.

Amy's character was pretty pathetic and reminded me of one of those people that likes drama because they truly do have nothing better to do...she was sad. Roberta...eh, she was ok and kept herself busy with her arts and crafts and volunteering but still kind of miserable. I did like the asian mom the best probably because she was the happiest one and had a good marriage and was proud of her choice. Good point that she was the only one who went on interviews and felt wanted and worthy but her husband also made the most money out of all her friends which I'm sure helped a little, haha.

I do agree that it is important to keep up the resume or as Rose said "keep your big toe in the job market" or at least keep yourself busy with something. If that was supposed to be the whole point of this book then Wolitzer (sp) did a good job making that point if not any thing else. I also think something to think about is the fact that the author could have just as easily written about a group of your typical working mother and how miserable they are and how they also struggle with the guilt of not being home with their kids as much as they should, etc.