Language & Grammar discussion

The L&G Kitchen Party > We Have Taken the Pledge To Remain Facebook-Free!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 216 (216 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Deb, Ruth, and I have agreed to keep the Language & Grammar group here on Goodreads Facebook-Free.

GR is encouraging moderators to add their Goodreads Group Profiles to a Facebook Fan Page, but we would never presume to do so without checking first with every single member for approval (not gonna happen, people).

Besides, we don't subscribe to feeding the monsters (see "Google," et. al.) that are already beyond gluttony on the ethical scale.

message 2: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) | 626 comments Hear! Hear!

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana yes!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Good for you I am glad .I suspended my facebook account months ago.

message 5: by Ken (last edited Dec 10, 2010 03:15PM) (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Now, after our protest and that of others, Goodreads has agreed to delete the "members" section on the GR Fanpage of GR groups. Notice that they have NOT volunteered to back down from the idea in general, however.

Frankly, I don't want to even be a part of a group that has a mirror image on Facebook.

message 6: by M (new)

M I agree, NE. The original mission of Goodreads has obviously been disregarded. The site is now essentially a billboard with space left to post messages. It should be anything but a surprise that the administration now hopes to exploit the members. Some fledgling site that respects its members' privacy has the bright future that will be Goodreads' past.

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 15999 comments Mod
I don't mind the ads. Somebody's got to pay for this place we get for free. I don't even mind that we can individually link our FB and GR accounts. I frequent both FB and GR, but by my choice I do not link the two. And I'd be royally po'd if someond did it without my permission.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Like Ruth, I have a FB account, but that's quite separate from my Goodreads account and I choose not to link them. Nor do I want anyone to link them for me.
I have cousins and children of cousins all over Australia, so it's handy to keep track of what's happening. As one of my cousins said, "Facebook is the place where you find out everything you'd rather not know." Most days I'll spend less than 5 minutes there, as I much prefer to discuss books, write poems etc
It's the place where I connect with the extended family.
People can choose to link their accounts if it suits them. We definitely do NOT want it foisted upon us.

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise Chambers (louisec303) Yes, I agree that it's best not to mix GR with FB. I'm thinking GR wants some new members, and they feel they may be able to mine some from FB; but truth to tell, I've been using the FB link for over a year to post my GR books, hoping to get some dialogue going between me and my friends on FB. It ain't happening. So now, when I want books, I come to GR. And FB may or may not be a site that I continue with. It seems like such a waste of time really when I could be reading a Booker Prize winner, or jotting down an interesting review, or reading what other readers have to say in the groups and individual reviews.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
I'm heartened by all the support from the regulars. AND from the newbies, Louise! Good to see you here.

message 11: by Carol (last edited Dec 10, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

Carol | 10401 comments I have just informed one of my groups that I was leaving the group . I am looking for another group any suggestions. I may be wrong about the facebook account but the home page was there.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments The moderator was so sweet. No problems so all is good. I still will not use facebook, as too many strange things show up and people I knew were being hacked into.

message 13: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 268 comments I've never had a Facebook account. How would this linking work, and what would be the consequences?

message 14: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
Hi Tyler....haven't seen you for ages! This link to Feedback will give you an idea.....
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
... where I think we're being ignored (and this in the group that claims it is "always monitored by the Poohbahs That Be!" or something like that).

message 16: by Tyler (last edited Dec 13, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 268 comments Hi Debbie --

If you see such a profile on Facebook, you still have to join Goodreads to be part of the group?

I post every now and then -- we were talking on the British vs. American thread a couple of weeks ago; but the group is much more active than when I first joined so the posts tend to disappear quickly.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
You mean, you're on Facebook, Tyler? I've never been there; my daughter joined and then got out. She says lots of not-so-good things about it, but I guess it is what you make it. I just don't plan to make it.

message 18: by Ruth (new)

It's a good place to network. I have lots of poetry "friends" and enjoy the contact.

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Oh. I make one lousy networker. Thank god my job is pretty secure.

message 20: by Ruth (new)

I have a terrible time networking in real life. For some reason doing it online works for me.

message 21: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Likewise!

message 22: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 268 comments Hi NE --

No, I've never been on Facebook. That was why I was asking.

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Oh. Got it.

message 24: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 182 comments Yes,I dont want GR and FB together.In real life I get to talk books or language related topics with few people.When I discovered you and got up the courage to join, it made me so happy.FB is where I keep in touch with my old students and relatives across the world-pretty inane stuff, with bits of emotional succour thrown in. GR and this group I hoard like a miser.

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Eh, I'm done with them ("them" being the GR Feedback owners of this joint who have chosen to ignore us over there).

Personally, I'd rather be told, "Sorry, bub, we're doing it our way -- and there's the door if you don't like it," than be ignored. It's childish.

message 26: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 175 comments I agree about the importance of not linking one's accounts on different sites. However, I am not taking the pledge to remain Facebook free, because I've already succumbed and I enjoy getting back and staying in touch with old friends and also participating in a couple of discussions groups about grammar and language which have a format that I prefer to this one.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
This isn't about individuals staying Facebook-free at all. That's a personal decision.

This is about Goodreads allowing moderators to take not only their individual selves but everyone in their group with them to Facebook -- without the "everyone else" even knowing (unless they frequent Facebook and know where to look).

That's all.

Now if you want MY individual take on Facebook... no, no. Let's not go there. ;-)

message 28: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

There are grammar and language groups on FB Cecily....must have a look (I too like FB for keeping in touch with far-flung friends and family). As NE says....there was a move to let mods link their groups to FB without members' knowledge or permission. Thankfully it seems to have been benched after a storm of protest.....

message 29: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Are you sure it was benched? The proprietors seemed to ignore us completely -- usually an indication that they plan to proceed as planned.

And really, how would we even know?

message 30: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 175 comments Debbie wrote: "There are grammar and language groups on FB Cecily...."

I know. I'm an admin of one and member of several others. ;-)

message 31: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Ah. I sensed a moderator -- one that actually knows what she's talking about (unlike yours truly half the time).

But are you sure FB isn't the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse? ;-)

message 32: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 175 comments Newengland wrote: "...are you sure FB isn't the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse? ;-)"

I sometimes wonder. I am regularly amazed by how worked up and sometimes angry people can get in such groups, but nevertheless, the ones I've stuck with are predominately interesting and a force for good.

message 33: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Got a couple of links for me Cecily?

message 34: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 175 comments This is my favourite one: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid...

If hang around there, you'll pick up the names of other related groups, or just try searching Facebook for words such as "grammar".

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Don't go over to the Dark Side, Debs! ... Oh. You already have. Never mind.

message 36: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

People poke me at their peril!

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Pokey. Friend of Gumby's, right?

message 38: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

On Facebook, you can communicate with someone wordlessly NE....you 'poke' them to let them know you are thinking of them....no-one has bothered poking me for a VERY long time....and I don't poke others. My mother brought me up to believe it is poor manners to poke someone!!

message 39: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
Good God, that is the corniest concept yet. When I hear at work how Facebook is the favored mode for on-line bullying between students, I think to myself that FB itself is poor manners.

message 40: by Ruth (new)

I seem to belong to a pokefree FB crowd. Nobody pokes me, I don't poke them.

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 79 comments I am going to disable poking this minute- I hadn't realised you could as my FB'ing is very limited.

'Poking' was a phrase in use in my UK youth, and it didn't mean that you were thinking of someone......

message 42: by Barbara (last edited Feb 09, 2011 03:43PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 79 comments Virginia wrote: "@Barbara: not even in my life/youth/mind poking means thinking of you!!!!!
I never poke people on FB because I would just annoy them (even if I don't "touch" them) i'd rather cancel or avoid them h..."

Yes, quite , goodness - the very idea ....! So vulgar , my deahs

message 43: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 32 comments Newengland wrote: "Deb, Ruth, and I have agreed to keep the Language & Grammar group here on Goodreads Facebook-Free."

As one who chooses to spend his time reading rather than doing whatever one does on Facebook, I fully support your decision. I am forced to visit one site on Facebook because that is the only place the group posts information about its activities, but I do not have an account and, Zeus willing, never will.

message 44: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments '...whatever one does on facebook...'...you've hit the nail on the head, Everyman, 'whatever'...the catchcry of the modern young person...that's what they say, and that about sums up the conversational level...or as a cousin of mine described it 'the place where you find out everything you didn't need to know about everybody'.It is useful for relatives who live far apart as a means of keeping in touch...imagine if your grandchildren were in another country...at least you could see the latest photos and send messages etc...it does have some usefulness.

message 45: by Ruth (new)

I've found FB useful for networking.

message 46: by Ken (last edited Feb 18, 2011 05:23PM) (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
I've never found FB in the first place....

message 47: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments :D

message 48: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 32 comments Virginia wrote: "well I found it useful to get in touch with my school friends, friends I have in Italy and I don't see since I was 24 and all the colleagues of the many airlines I worked for, who are spread around the world......."

The way I was brought up, that's what letters are for. And the Christmas card and letter. Ninety-nine percent of the people I vaguely keep in touch with, the annual Christmas card and letter are all I need, or frankly want, to know about their lives.

message 49: by Ruth (new)

I haven't sent xmas cards in 30 years.

message 50: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18480 comments Mod
The Good Wyfe and I debate it every year, but it's shadow boxing, is all. She holds a Security Council veto on any vote I have, making me the equivalent of Luxembourg on such questions as "To Do Christmas Cards, or Not."

« previous 1 3 4 5