Amazon Kindle discussion

Potential K3 problem

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) It sounds like either your Kindle is still indexing all those books, or one of the books is wonky. Indexing runs down the battery very fast.

Have you checked to see if it's still indexing?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Yes, that's right. Also, what firmware is installed? (home>menu>settings> in the bottom right corner.)

You know, my Kindle restarts on it's own every once in a while - it's quite random, but rare.

Maybe the battery running down was that it was still indexing? And the restart was one of those random moments, or the firmware updating?

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest waiting a few days - use it like normal and see if it keeps acting up?

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) I hope so, too!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 60 comments I suggest turning off the Kindle when you aren't going to be reading for a while. Slide the switch on the bottom till you get a screensaver, then slide again and hold for 7 seconds

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "I suggest turning off the Kindle when you aren't going to be reading for a while. Slide the switch on the bottom till you get a screensaver, then slide again and hold for 7 seconds"

Amazon recommends against this, actually. All you need to do is slide the switch once until you get the screen saver. When WiFi/3G is off, the Kindle only uses battery power when the screen changes.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments I don't know why people constantly talk about "indexing" like it's some big thing. If all the books appear on your home page, they are all indexed. This is not indexing. this was a glitch the K3 had when it first came out. What software do you have on your K3? ( I have Vesion Kindle 3.0.3). You check this by hitting home then when you are on the home page hit the menu button and go to Settings. At the bottom of the page on settings it will say "Version: Kindle 3.0.____" depending on the version you have. There was something about this glitch that did drain the battery as well. Once I downloaded the newer software, I stopped having the problems

Make sure you go to Amazon and download the most recent software upgrade if you don't have it yet. My K3 after I tried using the experimental web browser started giving me problems with spontaneous restarts (which btw, the K1 would do occasionally, so if it happens occassionaly it's not a big deal, but the K3 was restarting regularly). You can also go on Amazon under Kindle Discussions and look for "K3 restarts" or "K3 problems" you'll find numerous threads discussing it.

If you have software version 3.0.3 and still have problems over the next week or two, I'd call customer service and see what they tell you to do. I know that a couple of people on the discussion boards did get new K3s because the software upgrades didn't correct the problems.

My K3 seems to be working fine now and the battery doesn't drain like it did.