LDS Teen Readers discussion

Anderson?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) Hey! I was just wondering, I've heard a lot about Laurie Halse Anderson and her book Speak lately. Have any of you read it? if so, do you recommend it?

message 2: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) K... seeing as I got no feedback, I'll put something knew. : ) I went to the library and did not find Speak, so I got the book Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson instead. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. While the writing was phenomenal, it had plenty of crude language and talked about things that I know we all want to avoid. The story had potential, but the main character was so flawed I couldn't stand her. I don't want to completely condemn this book... the story had potential of being good, and like I said, the writing was absolutely remarkable (the best I've ever read) but it's not worth reading all the junk mixed in.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan  Garner | 3 comments what book are you talking about?

message 4: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson. And (possibly if you have a suggestion) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. : )

message 5: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) hmm... not that ANYONE reads this ; ) but I did not enoy Speak... I liked it better than Catalyst, yes, but I would not recommend it. Why? Because I don't particuarlly enjoy reading books about dsiturbed teenagers. I mean, the writing was phenomenal (once again!) and I couldn't put it down, but I didn't end up feeling exactly happy. I wasn't so depressed, either. Overall it was good. Some parts of the story were kinda disgusting though. *Shudders* I don't generally like stories like that.

message 6: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) I hated Speak. I'm with you on the writing, but I was disturbed myself after reading that. My friend recommended it, and I was a little more then livid after that.

message 7: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) and as long as I'm ranting about Laurie Halse Anderson, I have to note that Fever 1793 (another of her books) was absolutely... remarkable. A character I liked and related to yet she was human, a realistically historical setting, terrific writing, a really awesome story, and a happy ending that left me without reservations. so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so good! I can't express it enough! tee-hee-hee

message 8: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments Hmm . . . Well I liked Speak. I won't say anything else on the matter because you might both hate me if I do ;D

message 9: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Oh, Seth...

message 10: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments Not that I want you to hate me, I just don't want to say anything bcuz sometimes books ruin friendships (on goodreads lol)

message 11: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Lolz, do you honestly think I'm that shallow?

message 12: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments no . . .

message 13: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) So, what's the problem? Lolz xD

message 14: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments i dunno . . . i think i might have mental issues . . . o wait, I KNOW i do ><

message 15: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Lolz, niiiiiiice.

message 16: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments Well . . . her book Wintergirls sounds pretty good.

message 17: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) *shudders* It sounds scary.

message 18: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments It sounds scary . . . in a good way.

message 19: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) No! I'm getting shivers just thinking about it!

message 20: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments Why?

message 21: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Este... well... *small laugh*

message 22: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments I think its sad that her friend dies bcuz of a contest to be skinny DX

message 23: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Yeah...

message 24: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments do u think you will read it?

message 25: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) No!

message 26: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments oh . . . i will.

message 27: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Good for you :)
I get depressed easily (when I read Speak, I was depressed for months - I'm still not over a depression brought on by the BBC Robin Hood from November-ish), and that book... it would seriously depress me.

message 28: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments i don't . . . well i do, it just doesn't stay. but i was in love with speak for a while . . . even if i only gave it four stars, i thought about changing it after reading it again and watching the movie.

message 29: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Why didn't you?

message 30: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I got Speak for Christmas. The movie was phenomenal (I saw it on television last summer) so I've wanted to read the book. If you want to know, the book is about a girl who was raped at a party. She called the cops and the party was busted, so now everyone hates her. She's told no one about what happened to her. It's about how she gets through her problems.

Anyway, it's about a realitsic situation -shrug- I don't know if it's graphic in any way, so I'll read it soon and let you know :)

message 31: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 114 comments its not graphic at all! i love that book XD

and idk why i didn't . . .

message 32: by Haley (last edited Mar 16, 2009 08:04PM) (new)

Haley (goodreadscomhaley) | 6 comments You asked about Speak at the top of your email, i dont know if you still want to hear bout it but i hated it. I wont tell you why, you have to find out for your self. The writing was pretty good though.

message 33: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Yeah, Haley! Finally - some back up!

message 34: by Darkerling, still deciding a title (new)

Darkerling the Necromancer | 134 comments Mod
This seems pretty random

message 35: by Haley (new)

Haley (goodreadscomhaley) | 6 comments What seems Random, were talking about Speak.

message 36: by Darkerling, still deciding a title (new)

I still don't get it

message 37: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Have you read the whole topic...?

message 38: by Darkerling, still deciding a title (new)

nope

message 39: by Mallory (new)

Mallory (malloryrose17) Oh... well... that might explain it...

message 40: by Darkerling, still deciding a title (new)

No that wouldn't :P