Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Road Trip Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Since some of us may be taking multi-hour road trips this month, I thought we could share road trip reads. In my case, there will be 4 of us in the car, all adults. We have about 14 hours in the car each way and yes, they all want to listen to a book and no, not romance! Dang!

My sister and I have listened to James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series on road trips, so that's a possibility. The hostess where we are going has asked us all to read Hunger Games, so I guess that's a possibility although I have no interest in it. I actually think a few hour-long podcasts would work better for this crowd, because I think we might actually spend some time visiting!!

When you have a long-distance drive and a crowd in the car, what do you like to listen to? Or do you pop the earbuds in, and let the kids duke it out in the back?

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) I think my most successful road read for a group was Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It was a great listen: amusing and non-narrative (or not a continuous narrative) so it was easy to pause when we wanted to talk or stop to stretch our legs.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Any of the Jeeves and Wooster books by P.G. Wodehouse make great car reads, and they aren't all that long.

message 4: by Vic (last edited Dec 17, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Harry Potter would be great listens. I used to carpool to work and we'd listen to audiobooks. Had success with thrillers by David Baldacci or Michael Palmer - or you could try anthology edited by Lee Child (Thrillers). Romantic slant - go for Linda Howard. Humor related books could be good option: Dave Barry, Denis Leary, Samantha Bee, David or Amy Sedaris. Along the lines of humor, chick-lit may be fun.

I'd say break it up and have lots of selections available. I named my 160 GB ipod classic "My Precious" and keep it close at hand at all times and it's loaded down with more audiobooks than music. But some fun karaoke type playlists could help split up the book listening as well.

Have fun and drive safe! :)